Author Topic: I think Zeus had a minor heat stroke  (Read 13853 times)

Blair

I think Zeus had a minor heat stroke
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:15:44 pm »
I was outside cutting the grass and had the boys outside with me, like I usually do. I had their water filled up with nice clean water and the kiddie pool filled with water. As I was cutting the grass and turned to check on Zeus and he didnt look right, He was laying very still and panting extremely heavy and he was just foaming at the mouth. I couldnt get him to stand up and he had a dazed look on his face. some how, I cant remember, I got him inside called the vet and they told me to try to cool him down, and explained how. But if he wasnt showing signs of improvments in a few minutes to bring him right in. Well luckily as soon as I did what the vet said, he started perking up and now he is back to his oldself. Should I still take him in for a check up?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 03:16:07 pm by Blair »

SA_horses

Re: I think Zeus had a minor heat stroke
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 03:32:50 pm »
Should I still take him in for a check up?

Please do.  I'm not saying this to alarm you, but there is the possibility for organ damage.  You also should check his temperature with a rectal thermometer and continue to moniter it, just to be safe.

I hope Zeus will be okay.

Sofia

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:37:29 pm »
Also, i think heat strokes can cause brain damge, even if they aren't showing signs of it. hope he's ok!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 04:56:30 pm »
Yeah, I think you should take him in to be evaluated.  When it's hot, our poor Badger does NOT do well.  I have been refrigerating wet towels for him and making sure he is wet all the time, and covered with a cold towel.  You might also get a fan and aim it at him...
Thanks again Tina for the towel idea, he really does appreciate that!
 ;)
Blair let us know right away how he is doing!

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 05:08:22 pm »
Feel better soon Zeus.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 05:13:53 pm »
Wow!!!  How scary!  I agree with everybody else....run him in to be checked out and please let us know how he's doing!

I can't WAIT until fall!!!!

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:13:06 pm »
Oh Boy  Zeus--I hope he is feeling better. How scary.

I just learned this when I was taking obed with Rosie. Our trainer who has trained dogs for many years said that rottis are brachiocephali c ( short muzzled) and can have the same problems as boxers and pugs have in hot weather. They can start with the heavy panting etc.They are unable to efficiently regulate their body temperature and are very susceptible to overheating.
 He said when this occurs to plug the both nostrils with your fingers for 30 sec. So they start breathing out thier mouth and can get thier breathing regulated again when they get out of rhythm from being overheated.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:19:45 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:33:09 pm »
If you don't take him in, I would monitor him VERY closely for the next 48 hours. My cousin is actually recovering from heat stroke too. Very serious. It can cause damage to the kidneys. My cousin is only 10 and had to go to the hospital for dehydration as well. Flush lots of fluids through Zeus; even if he has access to water, he may just not be drinking enough because he doesn't want to. But he needs to. So make him. I hope he is okay!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 07:39:07 pm »
Yikes! Poor Zues  :-\ I am glad he's doing better and I hope he is okay
RIP former BPO

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 08:21:23 pm »
Poor Zeus, I hope he is feeling better. Rotties are very susceptible to heat. Tealk cannot take the heat at all. My Siberians do better in it than he does.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 07:58:33 am »
How is he doing now?  Heat stroke or even exhaustion is serious business!  I've been wondering how everyone's big paws were faring in this heat.  Friends lost one dog to heat stroke a few years ago and then almost lost another until my DH went up to check her out and dumped her in their bathtub and ran cold water over her.  I think the heat is particularly hard on the older dogs.  I know our poor Jesse has been sitting in front of the air conditioner all week!  Hope Zeus has pulled through ok!
Daphne

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:06:04 am »
Yikes!  I hope Zeus is doing well today! :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 08:10:08 am »
How's the big boy doing today?

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 08:47:04 am »
Just an idea for those of you in areas where the heat is so awful lately- my guys LOVE ice, so several times a day I give them chunks of ice to chew/play with.  They are in AC all the time, maybe outside 5 minutes max. per hour, but it really does help to keep them cooler by having ice in their mouths as well.  We use old margarine or cottage cheese (plastic) tubs, fill with water, and freeze. 

Weedsport, NY

Blair

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 09:00:27 am »
I took him to the vet right after I posted this. Zeus is doing good. He is back to his old self. He really scared me yesterday, but the vet says he looked good and is a healthy boy. He said I noticed him just in time for anything serious happen to him. Im just glad he is ok  :)