Author Topic: Am I TOO Worried???  (Read 6819 times)

k2campbell

Am I TOO Worried???
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:25:54 pm »
Kind of embarressed to post this, but I am anyhow.  I know I can get honest advice here, so here goes!!! ::)

We have been camping twice in the past two weeks, we love it, Kate loves it - it's definitely one of our favorite things to do.  So nice to get away for us, to enjoy nature, and of course for Kate to play with her doggie friends ;)

1st time we went for a long weekend (3 days), 2nd time for a normal weekend (2 days).  Kate seems to be at the point where she's afraid to miss anything, so will play whenever another dog wants to play, and hang around the fire with us all night.  Yes, she snoozes next to the fire - but not for the night, just little naps...

When we get home, Kate sleeps for at least a day, last time for a day and a half.  As soon as we get in the truck to leave the campsite, she's sleeping until we get home.  Once we arrive home, she's on the couch sleeping - won't eat dinner that night, have to force her outside to go potty.  I see this all as normal, seeing as she is camping in the heat, playing with dogs all day long, swimming, hiking, etc...

We don't by any means "push" her beyond her limits.  We mostly hang around the campsite with a couple little excursions during each day :)

What I'm worried about is that we really, really want to go camping for August long weekend.  Thing is, we leave for our trip to PEI just 2 days after we'd get back from camping, and Kate will be staying at a pet resort for 9 days.  Do you think we should boycott the camping that weekend?  I know that Kate will have fun at the kennel, but that's what is worrying me.  I want her to have fun, but I want her to be well rested before then.  I'm sure she'll miss us a bit while we're away - but she is the type of dog that if there's other dogs around - Eric and I are almost non-existent.  This is good I think, considering we're going to have to board her.  I'm just worried she'll burn out and be too tired.  I don't want to hurt her, or cause her any stress that's preventable...

What do you all think?  Am I just a freak that should get over it and let Kate have as much fun as often as she'd like? 

Thanks,
Kelly  ;)

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Am I TOO Worried???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:34:42 pm »
Can the people running the resort separate her if they see that she needs a rest?  If they can and you trust them to keep an eye on her and make her take a rest as needed, I can't see why you shouldn't go camping with her before your trip.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:45:17 pm »
Can the people running the resort separate her if they see that she needs a rest?  If they can and you trust them to keep an eye on her and make her take a rest as needed, I can't see why you shouldn't go camping with her before your trip.

Yes, I'm sure they can keep an eye on her, definitely.  But my problem is sometimes, only WE really know our dogs, know what I mean?
I guess my main reason for posting is because the hubby says "oh gosh - you worry too much, she'll be just fine"...
I guess I'm just a paranoid momma!!! ::)  I just don't want to push Kate is all ;)

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:16:51 pm »
LOL.. I understand, but I really think that our 'kids' are pretty good at taking breaks when they need one. I know mine will plop in a heartbeat , even if it's only for a few minutes to recharge before taking off again.  Ultimately it's what you feel comfortable with, but I'd be willing to bet that Kate would love to spend the time with her people and friends before going to the resort without them for a week and a half. 
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:40:08 pm »
Yeah, I think Kate is fine.  She will regulate herself.  I totally understand why you are concerned, I know I would be too, but she won't do more than she can do.  It sounds like she is having a BLAST!  Can Nana Pookie come?!

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 06:40:18 am »
 I think she will be fine. When she is tired enough she will seperate from the other dogs and rest, then join back in when she is ready.
 Rosie and Farley play really hard and long together. You think they will never stop ::) Then one will lie down so the other figures- well they might as well get rest too. Then sometimes it may be 10 mins, other days it may be an hour nap then off they go and play again.

Sounds like she will have loads of fun at both places. ;) ;D

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:26:00 pm »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH - thanks guys - all of you, I feel much better now ;)

What the heck would I do without you guys?!  ??? ::) :D ;D ;)

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 05:36:16 pm »
:) Happily you don't have to find out what you would do without us!  I'm so glad you feel better!
 :D