Author Topic: Took in stray. Need advice  (Read 5500 times)

Offline driftershome

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Took in stray. Need advice
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:12:16 pm »
Took in what appears to be a full blood Great Pyrenees.  Forgive the spelling if I missed it.  She barely has any hair and was covered from head to toe with fleas.  To make matters more difficult for her it was about 110 degrees today.  We cleaned her up and will take her to the vet in the morning.  She's been seen in the neighborhood for the past month but is very shy, that is with everyone except my 2 year old daughter.  She  adores my 2 year old.  They run and fall together.  The dog will even roll on the ground when she does, but is shy to adult women and strongly resistant to men.  Despite her lack of hair she appears healthy, even strong.  My question is not really related to health unless someone has a good recipe to help her grow her hair back.  I'm sure the vet in the morning will have a laundry list of health issues to deal with, but I am prepared for that.  I am seeking advice on how to soclialize her back into a family.  Clearly at one time she was a family dog but it has been at least several months  if not years since then.  Usually dogs are comfortable with me but she is scared to death of me.  I assume she was abused by a man in the past.  Is there anything unique about the breed that I should be aware of as I slowly try to win her confidence?  I have always had golden retrievers.  Her face is nearly identical to my last golden but her personality is somewhat different.  She definitely has that stray mentality.  If anyone else has dealt with this I would welcome comments. 

I think she's going to be a great member of the family.

Thank you.

Jay from Dallas, Texas

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:35:57 pm by driftershome »

doggylover

Re: Took in stray. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:18:33 pm »
Bump
I don't know much about this breed, but many on this board do.  Good luck with this poor girl...
 ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:20:04 pm »
I don't know anything specific about that breed, but with any dog that has been abused or neglected patience is key, and socialization.  I have a rescue boxer, Daphne, that I've had for almost 5 months.  She was abandoned and abused, she freezes whenever strangers (to her) come over.  So I've been taking her wherever I can; if you run to the store, take her (if she'll stay in the car nice).  It's very important to make sure she's not going to fear bite, not only you but your daughter also because the most random thing might set her off.  Daphne has a thing about doorways, she hesitates before she goes through any doorway.  Some days she hesitates more than others and I try to make it a positive thing when she comes through the door, whether it's with lots of petting or treats.  She's terrified of the broom so sometimes I just lay it on the floor in the living room and I may sit beside it.  She'll come over to me as long as I'm in between her and the broom.  For now I'm not presenting the broom to her, just letting it lay there.  She has her safe place too, her couch, and neither the broom or strangers mess with her when she's on her couch.  That's working for her so far.

And different things work for different dogs, I had a hound that used an abandoned barn behind my house as his hide out.  I started to feed him but he wouldn't come near me.  He started following me around and would put his nose to my hand when I was walking, but if I moved my hand to pet him or stopped to turn around he'd bolt about 15ft back!  It took him awhile but he finally let me handle him.  And only me, no one else.  And he wouldn't come in the house at all no matter how many treats were offered!!

Daphne is still a little nervous of strangers but as long as I am within sight she's fine.  Hopefully your vet can give you some ideas too.  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:43:36 am »
With extremely fearful dogs we have used  the drug Elavil.  In humans it is an anti-depressant but for dogs it works as a mild tranquilizer of sorts.  We have used for a few months at a time to assist the dog in overcoming its sheer terror and while using it start the socialization process.  It just takes the edge off but enough that the dog is not totally overwhelmed by its fear.  As the dog becomes less terrified we then gradually wean them off

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:11:54 am »
Welcome aboard! I'm April and I have a great pyrenees named Kiah. She's only 16 months old. Does yours have double dew claws on her rear feet? That's a sign of pure pyr, but they could have been removed previously. I'm sure the vet will have lots of advice for you and can probably tell what breed she is. I would recommend researching pyrs on the internet. The are considered LGD's which is a livestock guardian dog. They're bred to protect a flock from preditors. They are not a dog for everyone. They are very strong willed and some even call them cat like.

I want to thank you for taking her in. Hope all the medical issues are not too serious. Keep us updated! Oh yeah we love pictures!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 07:25:43 am by Tajsa »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:23:24 am »
I will agree with Patrick that it is worth discussing some meds with the vet to get her started toward adjusting.  She may never completely get over her fear of men though she will likely learn to trust you and any good men (people who give her good things like food or attantion) she meets often.  Lots of positive interaction and treats will help her along.  Put some tuna fish over dry food (the smell is so strong and enticing that dogs can't seem to resist) and feed her when someone is close by.  Keep getting closer and closer each time.  Make all the interactions as positive as possible with slow movements.  She'll come around.  As she gets better with the interactions, just keep slowly introducing new people and situations as she shows she can handle other ones well. 
Daphne

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:52:36 am »
Welcome to BPO!
I'm Tessie, mom to Belladonna (Great Dane) and Mojo (cat).

Just want to say that everyone has excellent advice.  I'm so glad that you have decided to help this poor pup.  Keep us updated, and send photos!  We love those.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 08:02:49 am »
Welcome to BPO!  Thank you for taking in this poor girl!  I'm sure that with patience your kindness and enthusiasm will win her over. :)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 09:14:52 am »
**BUMP**

I'm gonna bump this in the hopes that Babs, Gypsy or Taminara (or any other Pyr experts...I know I've forgotten some) can get a chance to get in here and help you out.

Thank you for taking this poor baby in! You're a saint!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 09:19:59 am »
Welcome to BPO!...You've been given some good advise already so I will just say be patient & gentle...Pyrs are very sensative dogs...Also know that Pyrs are an independent thinking dog meaning they will assess any commands you give them & decide if they will comply or not...They are not a push button obedience based dog...When they do decide to comply it may seem to take longer than previous dogs you've had experience with because, as I previously mentioned, they will think it over 1st...This is not a sign of being hardheaded or disobedient... They have been bred to be this way because of the job they are traditionally bred for & that is that of a gaurdian dog...not to be confused with a gaurd dog because a gaurdian not only gaurds but nurtures...Pyr s need to be kept in a fenced area or leashed as they tend to roam...The joke goes..."What do you call a Pyr off leash?...GONE!!!" ;D...Pyrs bark & they bark alot...This comes with being a gaurdian dog...Again, this is what they are made of they generally don't bark to hear their own voice...Althou gh at times you start to think they must really enjoy driving us nuts! :D...also, Pyrs dig Pyr sized holes...They LOVE to dig & it is hard to stop this behaivor...Onc e or twice a yr. they "blow" their coats & all of the undercoat comes out & you will have puppy sized white balls of fluff everywhere!...When she does get her coat in keep an eye for matts on the back legs & behind the ears...These are the problem spots I've noticed with my guys...If you can overlook these "faults" (I don't see them as such becuase they are all part of what makes a Pyr & I love the breed so much I just don't see these as negatives...Th ey just are part of having a Pyr.) then you will find you have a dog who is fiercly loyal, not clingy, (aloof actually) who will protect you & yours (or I should say anyone they deem theirs ;D) with all they have...You will have a beautiful, gentle, regal dog who will be a grace to your life. ;D
I hope her vet visit goes well & it doesn't take too much to get her well...I am curious, does she have double rear dewclaws?...Is it possible for you to post a picture?...There are other BWD's (big white dogs-livestock gaurdian types) who can easily be mistaken for a Pyr but have a sharper temperment & aren't as low energy.
I hope to hear more about your sweet girl soon! :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:15:22 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline jdumin

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Wolfie & Freddie: The New Puppy
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 03:47:13 am »
My only advice is beeee patient!  We adopted a 2 yr old rescue pyr about two months ago now and she is still terrified of strangers (she will just freeze and piddle, and once with a man with a beard, pooped right there standing still, poor thing) and still prefers to be up on the bed to anywhere else.  Luckily she doesn't have any aggressive fear responses, and the vet should be able to assess that for you.  It has only been in the last few weeks that our girl will eat in the kitchen rather than up in her safety spot on the bed, and she finally stays with us in the kitchen/downstairs even if her access to bolt upstairs isn't closed off.  I would definitely agree that Pyrs are catlike - somewhat aloof, but fiercely loyal - based on the Pyr I've had since he was 8 weeks old who is now 2, but now with the rescue Pyr things are different - she is incredibly cuddly/has to be touching us/smells us up and down when we get back from anywhere, so who knows what past experiences can do to personality.  I wish you the best of luck with your new family member!!

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:33 am »
Hello and WELCOME! I'm Lacy and I am owned by Gus. I agree with taking her wherever you can. It will get her use to being in the car and being closer to humans. I would also suggest trying to find a dog park in your local area. She may not be ready for it right this second but soon. It will be good for her to be around other dogs that trust their humans so maybe she will see that we're not all that bad! :) Gus was scared when I first took him but now he just loves it. Hes my only pet, so the socialization is good for both of us. Good Luck, and thank you. Not a lot of people would do what you're doing so willingly. Please keep us updated and dont forget the pictures!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 05:17:32 am »
Welcome to BPO!  Boy did you come to the right place for Pyr information-we have some of the best Pyr mommies on here! I hope all the best for your new addition!  Please keep us updated on how your girl is doing.

Jacquie, Tsu, Boudreaux and Griffey  :) 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 05:55:06 am »
There's a big Pyrenees Rescue group in Dallas -- you'll learn a lot more from them than the vet, I bet.  Talk to someone with the rescue group before you spend thousands at the vet.

I wish I had.
Sarah