Author Topic: Captain!  (Read 2699 times)

SA_horses

Captain!
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:51:05 pm »
Well, I took pictures of our new dog Captain today.  We had been holding off on introducing him until he had been to the vet and we had taken some pictures.

Captain is an intact 6 year old Great Pyrenees male, bought as a working LGD.

He was rather sick last week but has perked up significantly in the last three days; he isn't eating well right now.  He turned out to be rather neglected - had heartworm before being purchased (by the person we bought him from) in January and treated, has a rough coat that is very thin in some places, and is significantly underweight.  We took him in to the vet on Friday, and he had an ear infection that had spread into his throat, was running a fever, and had swollen lymph nodes and a high white blood cell count.  :(  Poor guy.

Because of the infection and the heat, we brought him into the house on Friday.  Not exactly a good thing for a working LGD, but we'd rather he make a good recovery.  We are hoping that he will be able to start working once he is well.

I think we are going to start walking Captain around the goat pastures again today.  He'll go in to the vet again on Friday to make sure the infection has cleared up.  Once the vet gives the okay, Mother plans on running a thyroid panel and having him neutered.

The three pictures were taken today.  He was looking much worse last week, but the antibiotics are starting to take effect now, and he feels well enough to trot around outside a bit.

Sofia

cricket36580

Re: Captain!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:54:44 pm »
Poor guy!  He doesn't look all that bad considering what is wrong though.  He doesn't look well, but not too bad either.  Glad to hear he's doing better!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »
He's gonna be a handsome fellow with good nutrition & some TLC!!!....Look at the size of that head!...He does need to put on some weightdoesn't he?...He'll be fine with you!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:39:42 pm »
Awww, he looks like such a sweetie!  He's going to be so handsome! :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:23:56 am »
What a great life he's going to have with you guys loving him and taking care of him.  I sure he's on the mend and will be ready to get to work soon! ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:53:08 am »
I'm so happy he's with your family and is getting the treatment he needs. Get well soon Captain! Welcome to the bpo family!