Author Topic: Possible changes for BPO...please read  (Read 12506 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Possible changes for BPO...please read
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:28:47 pm »
Hello everyone! As you know, Michael,Bear and I have been involved in a very time consuming   and life altering move from Central California to Southern California. During this process ,which is not completed yet, we have not had time to get online and chat or make necessary changes to the site (like the featured paw print) as we had hoped to. Things have been much busier than we anticipated and our absence has been felt by the moderators and other regulars.

It is due to our continued absence, irregular visits to the site and with a very heavy heart that the idea of turning BPO over to someone else to run has been tossed around. BPO is my dream site. It was created for me by my husband because we both love big, slobbery, hairy dogs so much.  This place has created so many friendships and has made so many happy and it really has us in a tough situation.

Never did we think of leaving BPO but we do know that it requires 110% to keep it working properly. Lately, we have failed at doing this. If, and this is a big if, we continue to be unable to do our part and find someone who is has as much of a passion for the site as we do, then and only then will the site have new owners. Don't get alarmed but we have put out a few "feelers" to see if anyone is BPO worthy. Remember, no decision has been finalized. Michael and I are just throwing out ideas because we honeslty feel as though we have let you down in the recent month or so.

I think of many of you, especially our moderators, as extended family members who are near and dear to my heart. For this reason, I felt that an announcement should be made so that everyone knows what is happening with the site. I really hope that you can understand where we are coming from and that you realize that this is the most difficult decision we are considering.

BPO will always be in my heart and regardless of the outcome, I will always be a member of BPO. 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Anakalia

Re: Possible changes for BPO...please read
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:36:52 pm »
Jaime thank you so much for being honest and letting us know what's going on, I truly appreciate it!  I know you've been super busy with the big move, and lives do change, sometimes all of a sudden.  Is there anyway you could just get some volunteers to help out with the site until things have settled down for you?  I know many people will probably step up and want to help out, but let me know if there's anything I can do to help! :-) You're the best!!  :-*

Andi

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 03:42:26 pm »
I am speechless.  :'(
Please know that you have my support no matter what you decide to do.
Stella

mjjensen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:44:03 pm »
  I would love to help out also.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:48:31 pm »
Websites do require a fair amount of time and effort. I completely understand and appreciate where you are coming from. I design, redesign websites as a hobby and I would gladly add another to that list. I could help out a litle with BPO if yourself and Michael want the help. Here's some links of sites I originally designed:

http://www.virtualclear.com (my own site)
http://www.caninecompany.ca (My dog trainers site)
more links available in the portfolio page of the virtualclear website.
also a Newf breeders website I am currently redesigning:
http://www.virtualclear.com/user/Aqua_kennels/

I would be happy to help as much as I could.

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:51 pm »
I am still sort of new here, but I would like to add my 3 cents worth. 
I think you are somewhat overestimating the importance, to us, of things being done 'on time' or 'perfectly'.
This site is a warm friendly place because of you.  Your values and standards led you to choose moderators who would keep the site clean, supportive, warm and friendly. 
I don't know how much time it takes to keep things going; but I wonder if more could be delegated out.  What if you brought on a few more moderators, and approached people to do different things on the site. 
Many people on this board don't have a life, and we would be happy to take on some of the responsibiliti es, and you could still 'own' the site. 
For example, someone could do the featured Paw Print each month.  Someone else could be responsible for the monthly contests.  Maybe a few people could coordinate the moderators; sort of like if you were the CEO, but you had a general manager, and a few other people on board for other tasks. 
The other thing is that for as many hits as you guys get to this site, can you make more money on advertising?  Maybe sell some merchandise?  I've always thought this site could be quite profitable. 
I'm just suggesting some options that I am sure you guys have already considered, but that I think you might revisit.  You may be suprised by how much help you guys could get for the site, if you started delegating more. 
We all benefit from this site, and it shouldn't fall all on you and your husband to keep it going. 
 ;) :)     

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:31:02 pm »
You have my support as well.
BTW I am one of those "people with no life" that doggylover mentioned (ok ...well the kids, but come on!! I get tired of hearing all day "I am hungry", "I am tired", "I want out of the closet" ::)), so if there is anything I can do to help, I offer my time and whatever skills I have that may be useful.
I am kind of a big deal!

enuffpaws

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:24:59 pm »
Jamie & Michael, you have given all of us a great place to meet , chat  and learn from each other. Thank you so much for that. But you will have my suport on very tough decision either way you go. I'm sure that it is alot of time and money to keep with a awesome site like this.So like everybody else who loves BPO i'll do anything i can to help out as my limited computer skills permit.I know you feel that the site has been behind but i think it has run quite smoothly. You were missed just because YOU were not here to socialize, like anyone that is greatly liked.

Thank you

Dale ;)

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 05:27:03 pm »
Jamie & Michael, you have given all of us a great place to meet , chat  and learn from each other. Thank you so much for that. But you will have my suport on very tough decision either way you go. I'm sure that it is alot of time and money to keep with a awesome site like this.So like everybody else who loves BPO i'll do anything i can to help out as my limited computer skills permit.I know you feel that the site has been behind but i think it has run quite smoothly. You were missed just because YOU were not here to socialize, like anyone that is greatly liked.

Thank you

Dale ;)

:: nod nod::

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 06:07:31 pm »
I have to agree. Amazing as it sounds, there is life outside of BPO! And we all know that. Things happen, life happens, and you are dedicated to that more than to a website. I too think the website has run quite smoothly, even without all your time and efforts being focused on it because of moving and such. But please. Let us all help out more. You do everything! You do so much! You organize the board, run contests, used to run the store, pay for the site, make sure it is up and running, correspond here, and so much more! It's too much for just a couple people to do! I'm sure we all understand that. So please, enlist some of your devoted members on here, including me! It's not too much to ask the members to help out too! I would do anything for this site! I'm not a computer genius, but once I've been shown how to do something, I can usually remember how to do it. I'd be happy to help in anyway I can! Let us know how to help. You are so devoted. I don't honestly think anyone can do what you've done. But I understand that you can't do it alone. We are all here to help!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:32:23 pm by Jacksmom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 08:04:48 pm »
Hello Jaime & Michael,

Thank you very much for your honesty and sharing your feelings with us about the goings on in your life & here on BPO.  I am truly grateful as I know most of the people on BPO are, for your time, effort & generosity in making this site a wonderful home for all of us big dog lovers. 

If there is anything I can do on my end in support, please don't hesitate to ask me via e-mail.  I wish you continued success in all that you do and I hope that you get settled in your new home soon.

Anita & the 3  Newfies from NJ

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 08:17:13 pm »
Thanks all for your kind replies but a decsion has been reached.....fo r details check out the thread entitled "Update...BPO's Future"  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 07:35:09 am »
This is the only Family I got...i don't want to see that go away....what can I do to help?

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 07:44:33 am »
Jaime.... you, Michael and Bear have done sooooo much for all of us - please let us do something for y'all by helping to keep BPO going! I understand the stresses of moving and change... we are here for y'all and support y'all 100%. Please let us know what we can do to help!

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 04:54:31 pm »
Ha ha ha...What doggylover said earlier... a NEW MEMBER... she has over 1000 posts ... ha ha

No worries here Jamie... this site pretty muchs runs on it own.
For you Jamie, the boss lady !