Author Topic: vaccine question  (Read 3905 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
vaccine question
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:50:39 pm »
A coworker of mine got a Vizla puppy not long ago.  She was telling me about a new vaccination out for rattlesnakes.  I had never heard about it so I thought I would ask everyone and see if you have heard of it and any pros or cons you have heard either.  I was thinking that living on the Gulf Coast it would be good to have the pups vaccinated but then I am thinking that they would have to do the same thing as people that milk snakes.  Some people inject themselves with venom every so often to keep the antibodies up in their systems.  So it wouldn't be just a yearly vaccination.  Any thoughts or ideas?  I am just starting to research this. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: vaccine question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:01:14 am »
Wow, I didn't know about these vaccines!  Rattle snakes and poison ivy...amazing! :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 08:14:08 am »
From what I've heard about the rattlesnake vaccine is that it is not complete protection, it only gives you more time to get to a vet for the serum.  Also, at least for Newfs, it can be deadly, that from a Newf breeder, so it may be more hearsay than truth ???

I've never heard of poison ivy vaccine either.  Wow!! That would be nice!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:25:45 am »
Does it work for poison oak too??

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 08:26:25 am »
I have never heard of the poison ivy one.  I'll have to tell one of my friend's.  She gets poison ivy at least once every summer.  Michael was telling me that he had heard that the rattlesnake vaccine can be just as dangerous to the dogs as the actual bite itself.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:29:29 am »
This is from U.C. Davis' Vet school

Canine Rattlesnake Vaccine

The canine rattlesnake vaccine comprises venom components from Crotalus atrox (western diamondback). Although a rattlesnake vaccine may be potentially useful for dogs that frequently encounter rattlesnakes, currently we are unable to recommend this vaccine because of insufficient information regarding the efficacy of the vaccine in dogs. Dogs develop neutralizing antibody titers to C. atrox venom, and may also develop antibody titers to components of other rattlesnake venoms, but research in this area is ongoing. Owners of vaccinated dogs must still seek veterinary care immediately in the event of a bite, because 1) the type of snake is often unknown; 2) antibody titers may be overwhelmed in the face of severe envenomation, and 3) an individual dog may lack sufficient protection depending on its response to the vaccine and the time elapsed since vaccination. According to the manufacturer, to date, rare vaccinated dogs have died following a bite when there were substantial delays (12-24 hours) in seeking treatment. Recommendation s for booster vaccination are still under development, but it appears that adequate titers do not persist beyond one year after vaccination. Adverse reactions appear to be low and consistent with those resulting from vaccination with other products available on the market. The product licence is currently conditional as efficacy and potency have not been fully demonstrated. Based on existing evidence, the UC Davis VMTH does not currently recommend routine vaccination of dogs for rattlesnake envenomation, and the vaccine is not stocked by our pharmacy.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:59:24 am »
Just because you are "immune" to poision ivy does not mean you always will be.  I was as a child, now I cant get near it.  The way I understand it, to have an allergic reaction the body must develope antibodies first.  That means being exposed at least once.  The second time around or the 10th or the 30th, you may have a reaction to the allergen.  So avoid it if possible anyway.  Also, think about it.  You can buy drugs such as the patches you wear for birth control, guitting smoking, etc.  How do you think those work.  The body absorbs the drug through the skin and it travels into your system that way.  Same with poision ivy.  Of course some folks have more problems with it than others.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux