Author Topic: Shade had a stroke  (Read 14511 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Shade had a stroke
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 08:28:22 am »
What FANTASTIC news!!  I'm so happy for all three of you: Shade, your mom and you! YAY!! ;D ;D ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 10:00:39 am »
That is great news. What a strong girl you are Shade. I am really happy for you all ;D

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
Re: Shade had a stroke (SHADE IS HOME!)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 05:40:38 pm »
Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.  Shade is home and resting on her bed.  She was so happy to be home.  I realize that at her age these things may happen.  She had one stroke in 2004.  Doc said that without an MRI, it would be hard to say exactly what it was..could have been a TIA...but did I really want to send her to Auburn and put her through all that at her age? I was home sick (summer cold/sinus/flu?), the first time I've called out in probably a year.  I was in bed and Shade was in her bed in my room.  She began struggling as her limbs were drawing up.  Her paws were curling in, and her eyes were going around in circles at an unbelievable speed.  Thank the Lord my boyfriend had come by and was still here.  He picked her up and sat in the back holding her while I drove to the vet.  They gave her several shots and her eyes began to slow down the circling.  She was put on IV fluids and watched over night.  They've sent her home on Antivert for potential dizzyness.  It's hard to say if this will happen again or not.  Doc doesn't have a crystal ball :-)  But for now, she's home, comfortable, wanting her dinner at the moment and doing fine.  Again, thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)

k2campbell

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 10:33:36 pm »
Oh my, just read this thread - that must have been extremely scary for you guys.  I'm very glad to hear Shade is home and is comfortable! :)

My thoughts are prayers are with you and Shade, I sure hope she pulls through just fine and this doesn't happen again.  What a tough girl she is! ;)

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 08:31:33 am »
Shade seems to be totally back to "normal."  Yesterday she slept most of the day.  She's laying at my feet now as I check Emails, etc.  She is very alert, trying to sneak into the kitchen on occasion to get into the cat food ("drat...the gate's up...), demanded her breakfast, asks to go outside, flips up the toilet lid for water instead of drinking from the water bowl...just like her old self.  So, for now, we're good :) Thanks again to all of you! 
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 08:47:15 am »
Yaaaayyyyyyy!!!  Congrats on getting through such a scary event!!  I love that Shade flips the lid.  Isn't it funny how when their sick we love any sign of their goofy behaviors to come back!! 
Sadie, Sam and I will still send good thoughts and prayers to you and Shade.
I know we are new and don't know you, but I understand the love and hear involved just as well!!
Krista
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

mjjensen

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 09:27:40 am »
Shade seems to be totally back to "normal."  Yesterday she slept most of the day.  She's laying at my feet now as I check Emails, etc.  She is very alert, trying to sneak into the kitchen on occasion to get into the cat food ("drat...the gate's up...), demanded her breakfast, asks to go outside, flips up the toilet lid for water instead of drinking from the water bowl...just like her old self.  So, for now, we're good :) Thanks again to all of you! 
  That's great news! Welcome to BPO btw.

Icerotti

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 09:30:58 am »

Glad to hear Shade is acting like herself....Ros ie demands her breakfast too. Food is a very serious thing to Rosie... must be a weim trait ;)

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 01:18:22 pm »
ROFL  Oh, didn't you know?  Weims are notorious for their love of food.  If it goes in my mouth, she wants some too, but I do limit the amount of "people food" I offer (she doesn't get much).  I have honestly tried over the years to find something that Shade wouldn't eat.  I can't think of a single thing from all kinds of fruit and vegetables...n ame it...she'll eat it.  Thus, the mention of the gate across the kitchen door.  She can open cabinets and will use her teeth and nose to get the lids off snap-on food covers!!!  Boxes and packages are fair game.  A few years ago, I bought one of those handy dandy storage container/elevated diners for her.  The idea is that you can store your dry dog food in the container and the food/water bowls are on top.  I thought it was so neat.  My sister asked me if I was nuts...she bet me that Shade would have the top off within a minute.  OK, so it took her 3...I may have to write a Shade book one day.  It's been an entertaining road with her over these years...ever seen a dog swing on a horse's tail???? 

Shade is doing so well today...Does my heart good :) 

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 08:42:54 pm »
I'm glad to hear that she's doing better. What a scary thing to go through!

Welcome to BPO! :)