Author Topic: Help Kiah's licking her paw: UPDATE  (Read 9892 times)

Kiahpyr

Help Kiah's licking her paw: UPDATE
« on: July 24, 2006, 06:35:44 pm »
For the past few days Kiah has been licking her paw and it's now very raw. I inspected it and didn't see anything. Any advice on how to get her to stop? Can I put neosporin on it and wrap it? Or should I take her to the vet?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:49:50 am by Tajsa »

Nicole

Re: Help Kiah's licking her paw
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:40:56 pm »
Hmm...Cabeza was doing this. We took him to the vet and it was infected. So, I don't know what to tell you. You might want to try the Neosporin, but, she'll probably just lick it off. And if you wrap it, it won't get any air. I suggest the vet.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:43:43 pm »
Ok thanks! How did he know it was infected? You would think it would be swollen or something.  :-\

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 06:55:27 pm »
Red inflammed tissue is visible if you look.  Often however you have to shave the spot to get a good look at it.  Does she have a temp?  If you can not determine or if you can not treat it is infected, then I agree. Vet time.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:13:13 pm »
Ok I'll call the vet in the morning. Did I mention that my vet already thinks I'm nuts?

Offline LittleGrace

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:33:57 pm »
Zoe is a paw licker big time.  When she was about 1 we moved and then she started licking her paws ALL THE TIME. The said she has allergies from both the ground and airborne pollens.  Although zoe's is nature induced, they said it is also possible to get that from a food allergy as well.  We moved a couple years ago and the licking got better, but sometimes she does it out of habit.  We have a paw wash from the vet and just try and distract her whenever we see it happen.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:38:50 pm »
I would take her to the vet if she has licked it raw, April. There is actually a nervous condition commonly called "lickitis" where they will lick their paws, tail, legs, whatever until it is raw and bleeding. It could be she is still a little stressed from her change in environment with the new floors and furniture rarranged, etc. 

Don't be alarmed, though - this is probably the least likely possibility. More likely it is an allergy, infection or bug bite as mentioned before, but if she has licked it raw definitely take her to the vet.

Let us know!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 07:40:08 pm »
I don't know where you live, but for us in California, a dog licking its paw is a sign that there is a foxtail in there.  It's a very sharp weed that grows EVERYWHERE and can get between a dog's pads and, unfortunetly travel until they are stopped by a bone!  The are AWFUL!  I think they are pretty common in many parts of the country and they do cause an infection or abcess.  Check between her toes and pads and up her leg.  If there is redness or a blistery looking sore, she needs to get it opened up by a vet and to be on antibiotics.

If there is no sign of a sore, then it could be a nervous habit. Has anything changed in her life that could be bothering her??

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »
Sam was limping & licking the underside of his paws awhile back & I couldn't find anything...Too k him to the vet & she found the tiniest little pimple looking thing on close to the foot between his toes...She squeezed it out & I couldn't believe the amount of yuck that came out but it fixed him...I mean this thing was like pin prick sized but obviously infected far deeper than what was on the surface.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 11:01:35 pm »
This is going to sound kind of wacked out, but Ben my first dog did this at one time too. He licked his leg so raw, there was no fur in like a 5 inch circle. So we took him to the vet. We wanted to make it wasn't fleas bothering him or a tick bite or anything like that. Now don't laugh if that's possible, but the vet said that Ben was bored, so he was licking it raw and the vet put our dog on anti-depressant pills for awhile! I had never heard of anti-depressants for a dog before! Whether he was right or not, don't know, but Ben stopped licking it.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:01:07 am »
My Bear was licking his left paw raw, constantly. Sometimes he really got into it and chewed his pads as well. He also suffers almost constant ear infections in his left ear. To boost his immune system we started giving him a couple tablespoons of yogurt in his kibble at every meal. Although the ear is still a problem, his paw and paw pads are left alone. 

I would definitely go to the vet, though, as you just never know the first time around.

Good luck - and please let us know what you find out.

Jennifer
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:01:56 am by jennifer »
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 11:03:05 am »
I'm taking Kiah to the vet on friday. Hopefully all goes well.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 10:49:24 am »
Kiah has started licking her other front paw, so I decided to get her to the vet today. Kiah has pododermatitis which is a low grade allegy from the environment. The vet gave her a steriod shot. However if that doesn't work then we'll have to start giving her an antihistamines . :-\
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:50:53 am by Tajsa »

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Help Kiah's licking her paw: UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 11:11:34 am »
Do you know what in her envoirment Kiah might be allergic to?...It sounds like it might be something like a cleaner or carpet fresh type thing seeing as it is her paws...What did your vet say?...Might save you time, trouble & save Kiah the irritation to figure out what...Have you started using any new cleaner or OMG...just thought of this...the new flooring?...What do you think?

Kiahpyr

Re: Help Kiah's licking her paw: UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 11:19:22 am »
Do you know what in her envoirment Kiah might be allergic to?...It sounds like it might be something like a cleaner or carpet fresh type thing seeing as it is her paws...What did your vet say?...Might save you time, trouble & save Kiah the irritation to figure out what...Have you started using any new cleaner or OMG...just thought of this...the new flooring?...What do you think?

The way the vet sounded is it's something outside. I never thought to ask him about the new floor. :o I bet it's a possibility that it's the cleaner I use to shine the floor with. I'll definately change that and hope it works. Thanks Chelle!