Author Topic: Looking for a Neo puppy  (Read 8520 times)

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Looking for a Neo puppy
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:26:02 am »
HEY!

I'm looking for a Neapolitan Mastiff. It might not be for a while but I'm still looking for a decent, cheap breeder. Does anyone know of anything?
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Neo puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:54:13 am »
My position is that buying a "cheap" puppy may cost you a much more in the long run.  Please stay away from BYB and pet store pups.  Giant breeds have a number of hereditary problems and can sometimes temperment problems (shyness, aggression).  Look for breeders who show their dogs (conformation) and test (PRA, OFA, etc.) both the sire and dame. When both sire and dam are certified clear of hip dysplasia the pups are statistically less likely to develop hip dysplasia although some of the pups may develop hip dysplasia. A knowledgable breeder is worth their weight in gold, or should I say gasoline! 

A good place to start might be the http://www.neapolitan.org/

Good luck in your search.  I have met a couple Neos and they are delightful.

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:06 am »
Yeah, I know about puppy mills and I disagree with petstores. I don't like it. I am looking for a cheap one though. Cheap for a neo, around 1000. Because some can cost more than two thousand dollars. I do want a pedigree that has close to or no in-breeding and is clear of hip-displaysia and other things. I don't know much about Neo's but I'm reading tons about them.

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:18:13 am »
Hi Boyle,
 Molly's (puppi_babe  ::)) mom here. I think that by cheap, she means that she is looking for pet quality, not show. And someone that is willing to work with her on the price (financing, etc.) She is 12 and is going to begin saving money for a pup. I told her that she will have to pay for part of the pup and do a LOT of research on the breed before she will be allowed to have one. We're thinking sometime in the next year or so.
 She's super sophisticated about dogs, and she knows about puppy mills and BYB's. Thanks for the warning, though!  :)
 (just wanted to clarify, I'm not "schoolin' ya)
Nicole

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:32:51 am »
hehehehe!!!  The next generation of big dog lovers!  Nicole, you've done good!!! ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:58:51 am »
I don't know where to find a Neo but I do want to welcome you to BPO!...I'm Chelle & my big pawed guys are Sam & Pippin...Have a good time here! :)

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:18:27 am »
I have an idea.  What if you rescued a 5-6 month old 'pup'?  Someone else will have already paid the huge cost, including first shots and all that stuff...it might already be partly trained.  You still get a cuddle buggus pupper, but you save a dog, AND you can spend that hard earned $1000.00 on doggy toys, or maybe you could put the money in an account for a car when you turn 16!  That way you and your massive dog will have a way to get around!
It would probably only cost like 200 bucks or something...an d there are a lot of people out there who get puppies and then drop them when they are still really super young. 
:)

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:27:15 am »
Molly, Kudos on starting your research now.  I spent about two year researching mastiffs before purchasing one last May.  The internet is a great tool.  When you locate some breeders, they all love to talk about their dogs, their breed and dogs in general.  Good luck, Molly.

Molly and Nicole, I saw the word "cheap" linked with giant breed and went into soapbox mode.  I hope I didn't come off too preachy!

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:05 am »
Molly, Kudos on starting your research now.  I spent about two year researching mastiffs before purchasing one last May.  The internet is a great tool.  When you locate some breeders, they all love to talk about their dogs, their breed and dogs in general.  Good luck, Molly.

Molly and Nicole, I saw the word "cheap" linked with giant breed and went into soapbox mode.  I hope I didn't come off too preachy!

No! No problem at all! You know...being a mom and all, I have to rush out and clarify and talk about how amazing and smart and thoughtful my girl is! hehehe!

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 11:39:02 am »
haha...Thanks you guys! Yeah, I've been looking at rescues. I'm going to save until we do have a house and see what I've got. I'm going to look at both breeders and rescues. I would like a puppy though to ensure it isn't nuts. And one reason I would like one from a breeder is because I want the parents to be confirmed not to have hip displaysia or behavior problems, (agressiveness, timidness, etc.). But I'll see what I have to work with when the time comes.

Offline pinkiebulldog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 03:31:34 am »
hello all I'm a new grammy to neo puppies my big girl Precious is a first-time mother and she did a beautiful job giving birth with the help of me. It was so amazing. I'm going to have to post them for you all to see. :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D