Author Topic: Marcus pic and question re crate training  (Read 5199 times)

ibenu

Marcus pic and question re crate training
« on: July 15, 2006, 01:43:26 am »
How do you make the crate a good plcae to be and leave them in it, currently (till today) he would go to bed when I said, then after going out for an hour and then letting him out he no longer wishes to go in. We put him to bed there tonight, coaxing him in with him tryimng very hard to go away. we let him, but upon coaxing him in again lay down near the crate not shutting him in and petting him till he fell asleep. So how do you make it good place and place to stay in when you are gone or at night? Closed?

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus pic and question re crate training
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:53:29 am »
You will get some wonderful advice here.  All I can say is coax him in shut the door, tell him see you in the morning, and leave the room.  Don't let him out if he whines or barks, just ignore it.  It's hard to ignore your baby crying, Maia is 2 and still tries to see if it will work.

You start feeding him in his crate to make it a great place to be.  Get special toys and treats that he only gets when he is in his crate.  If is a wire crate, cover it on three sides with a blanket.  Put a radio in the room with him.  Get a nightlight.  Most importantly, just stick with it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:58:44 am by greek4 »
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:22:13 pm »
I just came across this thread, I'm reading anything on mastiffs, I want one!!  Anyway, what a face...and those eyes!! 

When crate training, never put them in it if they are in trouble.  I know that's the obvious thing but it's soooo hard not to throw them in there if you're annoyed and want them out of the way!!  A blanket around the crate is a good idea, make it as dark in there as you can to create a "den".  And like they've said, stick to it.  Some dogs will love the crate one week and hate it the next.  For my GSD it was the walk of doom to the crate!!  But my mom's Weim lays in hers all the time, door open, that's her bed.  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:31:25 pm »
I want to second what the other posters said.  They were right on!
GOOD luck with that lil DEVIL.  That is the cutest lil pup ever!
Where do you live?  The exact address..I wanna come over with my sack and do some knapping!
:)

Welcome to BPO!  I am Ronda, and I am the happy momma of Badger, a male Rotty, and Gossy, a Female Bullmastiff pup. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:42:26 pm »
How do you make the crate a good plcae to be and leave them in it, currently (till today) he would go to bed when I said, then after going out for an hour and then letting him out he no longer wishes to go in. We put him to bed there tonight, coaxing him in with him tryimng very hard to go away. we let him, but upon coaxing him in again lay down near the crate not shutting him in and petting him till he fell asleep. So how do you make it good place and place to stay in when you are gone or at night? Closed?
He is a handsome little devil for sure!!!...Those eyes!!...The only thing I'd add to the advise you've already gotten on making the crate a nice place is to leave the door open when he doesn't have to be in it & hide good things liek treats & toys like under a blanket for him to find at will...That way he knows the door doesn't always shut behind him & good things might be in there!...When I crate trained Samson he got a treat handed to him everytime he went in...He'd go in & stand waiting for his good boy treat & then walk back out once he got it. :D

DakotaMom

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:14:04 pm »
We start by feeding the puppies in their crates. Nani is almost nine months old and is still eating in her crate. Whenever we put her in her crate to leave she gets a baby carrot or a cookie.

I didn't see anyone mention that you don't want to let him out when he is making noise. You might have to be quick at first, but if you let him out when he's whining he'll soon learn that noise gets him out.

He is very cute by the way.