Author Topic: potrait of a LGD bonding with his "livestock" ( :  (Read 11042 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: potrait of a LGD bonding with his "livestock" ( :
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 02:31:52 am »
Oh my goodness those pictures are TO cute!!  I do wonder what is going on in the kittens head?

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 03:15:04 am »
Oh my goodness those pictures are TO cute!!  I do wonder what is going on in the kittens head?
Alice is an easy mind read...When she is accepting Pippin's attention she sits with him peacefully...W hen she is not accepting his attention she hisses & scratches his nose...Pippin is very tuned into her moods! :D

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 03:22:55 am »
too cute! The Pippin in love pic is the best :)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 03:25:33 am »
That is so cute!  Tiny little Alice and her guardians...ad orable! :)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 05:52:31 am »
I always loved dogs.  Married a man who didn't.  After our divorce I decided I was going to own a Great Pyrenees or die trying.  After 20 years in the breed the only thing that has changed is now Im a fanatic.  But not just any breed.  Pyrs and only Pyrs.  I love them and I respect them and their unbelievable ability to know what needs to be done and do it.  I've sold my dogs who are trained as guardians or at least started before going to new homes, to folks all over the US and into Canada.  The one consistant comment I've gotten from Puppy buyers is that they are in shock at the difference between a dog from Livestock Guardian lines, rescues, and even dogs from the top kennels in the US.  I've seen the difference too and believe me it's a treat to watch.  I could type all day but I think this article about one of Joe Gentzle's dogs says it all.  Joe is one the board of directors for the GPCA for 2008 and I belive serves as the vice president right now.  He is the historian for the parent club also and has a book out which I can not recommend too much.  Anyway, this is the story of Patou a kennel raised dog who made the transition to livestock guardian at the age of 6.  It's an amazing story and one I use often to help educate people who own Pyrs about the true character and temperament of the breed.  The pictures of Pippin say it all.  A step by step progression of two species meeting each other and learning to trust and protect.  Take the time to read this story.  If you own Pyrs or any breed of guardian, this will help you understand your dog better.

http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/patous.htm

Thanks Chelle for posting those.  Im proud of our boy.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

doggylover

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 05:59:49 am »
AWWWWWWWWWW

Inside Alice's head: "I am SO important, I have my very own HUGE body guard"

LOLOLOL very very cute!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 06:24:28 am »
I always loved dogs.  Married a man who didn't.  After our divorce I decided I was going to own a Great Pyrenees or die trying.  After 20 years in the breed the only thing that has changed is now Im a fanatic.  But not just any breed.  Pyrs and only Pyrs.  I love them and I respect them and their unbelievable ability to know what needs to be done and do it.  I've sold my dogs who are trained as guardians or at least started before going to new homes, to folks all over the US and into Canada.  The one consistant comment I've gotten from Puppy buyers is that they are in shock at the difference between a dog from Livestock Guardian lines, rescues, and even dogs from the top kennels in the US.  I've seen the difference too and believe me it's a treat to watch.  I could type all day but I think this article about one of Joe Gentzle's dogs says it all.  Joe is one the board of directors for the GPCA for 2008 and I belive serves as the vice president right now.  He is the historian for the parent club also and has a book out which I can not recommend too much.  Anyway, this is the story of Patou a kennel raised dog who made the transition to livestock guardian at the age of 6.  It's an amazing story and one I use often to help educate people who own Pyrs about the true character and temperament of the breed.  The pictures of Pippin say it all.  A step by step progression of two species meeting each other and learning to trust and protect.  Take the time to read this story.  If you own Pyrs or any breed of guardian, this will help you understand your dog better.

Jackie

Patou was such an awesome dog! Pyrs are such amazing creatures. After reading that story I often wonder if Kiah is happy in a home or if she would be happier out guarding. :-\

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 06:32:44 am »
Joe's book is a must have for any pyr owner.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 08:54:16 am »

Jackie
I've read Patou's story numerous times...I am always deeply touched & amazed!
I'm still considering those goats, Jackie...I sent you an e-mail asking for some guidence in the matter....I must be crazy...for my dogs that is! ;D

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 10:25:30 am »
That does it -- I'm getting Einstein a kitten.
LOL!...I don't personally know Einstein & if his breed likes cats but I read over & over that Pyrs do well with small animals & it often specifically mentioned cats...That was one of the reasons I chose Pyrs because I was always a cat person & have 8 house cats of my own...9 if you count Alice who is a rescue & most likely staying...Perh aps Einstein would like a kitty...Take him to your local shelter & have him pick one out! ;D If he enjoys them I bet he'd be very happy! :)
Thanks everyone for enjoying my guys with their kitty! :-*

Funny thing about him is he'll bark like there's no tomorrow when he sees one while he's on the front porch.  My daughter brought her cat over awhile back and he sniffed and sniffed but never growled or barked.

I suppose even if a cat started out nervous about a giant dog sniffing them, they might come around when they realized they have the power.

Sarah

Offline frosty73

• Gnawer
  • Giant puppy Atlas and mini Djin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 01:56:12 am »
Perhaps Einstein would like a kitty...Take him to your local shelter & have him pick one out! ;D If he enjoys them I bet he'd be very happy! :)

Wow.  If I were to take a Ciant Schnauzer to pick out a kitty at the shelter, it would be for his lunch!  It's amazin' how different the breeds of dogs can be.
(Sorry, the letter "jee" is not workin' on my computer)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 03:12:22 am »
Perhaps Einstein would like a kitty...Take him to your local shelter & have him pick one out! ;D If he enjoys them I bet he'd be very happy! :)

Wow.  If I were to take a Ciant Schnauzer to pick out a kitty at the shelter, it would be for his lunch!  It's amazin' how different the breeds of dogs can be.
(Sorry, the letter "jee" is not workin' on my computer)
You did very well for your "jee" :D not working!
It is amazing how our companion dogs still hold onto what they were origionally bred to do...I think it's very cool!...I LOVE Terriers & just about any kind of hound but I knew they wouldn't work here with the small animals...I researched Pyrs for about a yr. before I got my 1st one but had researched breeds to choose one for 2 yrs. first...The Great Pyrenees seemed to be a good match for us & I have never been disapointed with my choice! :)

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 04:23:43 am »
This is so adorable!
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA