Author Topic: Petfinder Posters Must be on Drugs  (Read 3455 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Petfinder Posters Must be on Drugs
« on: July 27, 2006, 06:03:26 am »
I'm sorry, but whoever listed this pup as a South Russian Ovcharka must be high on something. . .  Surely they were reaching for the Small Terrier button and accidentally hit the GIANT white dog button instead.

Jeez.  I got so excited -- thought maybe another Einstein WAS out there some where.

Walter Cronkite
Dog

The Milo Foundation
Berkeley, CA
(510) 527-PETS
milo@pacific.net

South Russian Ovtcharka,Terrier Mix

Size: Small
Sex: Male
ID: 6377

Notes: Walter is living up at the Milo Sanctuary. Little Napoleonic red devil - though he is actually very sweet! He loves people and attention - walks well on a leash though his leash manners with any assertive males that come his way won't be 100% lovely - however he weighs less than 20 pounds and is easily controlled. A yard, a playmate, a walk, affection and some lap time is what they want! Racing around, possibly playing ball . . . . best suited for a home without children under eight years age. Birthday: 2/2002 (est)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:05:32 am by smsmith »
Sarah

Kiahpyr

Re: Petfinder Posters Must be on Drugs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:20:36 am »
I have to agree I don't see any SRO in him and he's under 20lbs. Yeah whatever!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:22:59 am »
Some shelter workers are a bit "off".  I have seen so many instances where someone has just learned about a certain breed they had never heard of previously, and all of a sudden every dog they see ends up labelled as that breed.  In other cases, they don't know WHAT it is so they just close their eyes and point, and whatever breed is at their fingertip is what it becomes.

Weedsport, NY

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:59:36 am »
Some shelter workers are a bit "off".  I have seen so many instances where someone has just learned about a certain breed they had never heard of previously, and all of a sudden every dog they see ends up labelled as that breed.  In other cases, they don't know WHAT it is so they just close their eyes and point, and whatever breed is at their fingertip is what it becomes.
That is so bad for the dogs...could cost them their life.  It would be wonderful if every shelter had a MASSIVE poster with all the breeds on it, or if when you entered the breed, you had to click on a picture that looked like the dog instead of choosing the 'breed'. 
That is sad.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 08:19:15 am »
Our local small-town shelter does the same thing.  If it's tri-colored and short haired, it's automatically a Beagle.  If it's a large dog with medium length hair, it's a German Shepherd.  They run photos in the paper with these absurd descriptions once a month, and I always roll my eyes in disbelief at the "breed" that they say these dogs are!  I might buy a Breed Book and donate it to them!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:21:12 am »
I was also amazed at their interpretation of an Irish Wolfhound.  Any dog with wiry hair is an Irish Wolfhound mix.  LOL
Sarah

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:00:40 am »
I've personally watched shelter workers go through a dog breed book & pick the dogs that the dog they are trying to figure out as whatever looks closest but that is WAY off!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 02:30:04 pm »
Ya know, it would do the dog world a huge favor if we could all pull together and create a breed reference with pics that shelters could use.  Anybody know how to go about something like that?  I know we could get it publicized through petfinder, for a start.  What scares me is a lot of shelters see pitt bull in many dogs that aren't even close.  My friend in St Louis found a boxer and asked the director of the local SPCA what they thought it was, and they SWORE it was pitt!

Weedsport, NY

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 02:36:36 pm »
Well a lot of times they are kinda lenient on what they call the dog's breed,  to try and help get the dog adopted.

A newfoundland will probably get adopted a lot faster than a "black hairy lab mix"
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

cricket36580

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 02:42:35 am »
Here they are all lab/shepard/bulldog mixes.  Occassionally you'll find one that's a dobie mix.  They had an Anatolian in there one time listed as a shepard mix.  I laughed and said well, in one respect you're right....   ;D