Author Topic: Bubba is still having issues. :/  (Read 3663 times)

Lyn

Bubba is still having issues. :/
« on: June 10, 2005, 06:54:40 am »
Poor Bubba. lol. I finally got a urine sample in to the vet, no bladder infections. And he's stopped trying to chew off his pecker.. It was the carpet fresh. As soon as I stopped using it he stopped chewing. He still pays way to much attention to that area but at least he's not trying to rip it off. LOL

Now the only issue he's having is his stool is still loose, for lack of a better word it's like pancake batter.  :( He's been dewormed 4 times now and was on metrodonzole for a week. He's eating Solid Gold Wolfcub. Which is suppose to be an excellent food.. but I'm wondering if it's just not settling well with him? A few weeks after switching him to the solid gold is when he started eating other dogs poop. He won't eat his own. Then in the park the other day I discovered he also likes goose poop. UCK!

Looks like we are going back to the vet yet again..  :( I'm tempted to switch his food.. but I'll wait and see what the vet says first.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Bubba is still having issues. :/
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 07:18:58 am »
Here is an article about feces consumption, a.k.a. Coprophagia.  I used to think it had to do with malnutrition, but upon doing more research found there can be a number of reasons.

http://www.petroglyphsnm.org/qa/poop.html

I like the idea of adding bitter apple or Tabasco Sauce, but I don't know about the over-the-counter additives that are put in the food.  You may want to ask the vet about it.  I hope this helps a bit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 12:38:22 pm by moonlitcroatia »
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:10:44 am »
Sorry to hear poor Bubba is having problems.

I am on another dog list and this topic often comes up.  In the last couple weeks there has been a large discussion on probiotics.  Repeated rounds of antibiotics or wormers can disrupt the dogs natural enzyme balance in their belly.  Several people have endorsed a product called DOGzymes which is a powder that contains all natural enzymes that restore the balance in your dog's digestive system.

I have never used it personally, but it sounds very encouraging.  People have tried it and it was the first time ever their puppy had normal stools.  Also, I have tried a diet of plain white rice with boiled chicken for several days, slowly reintroducing kibble, and it worked for my pup when he had a case of diahrea.  Also....consid er whether you could be overfeeding!  That is what I was doing.  I was feeding according to the package...but also giving a lot of training treats.  Once I reduced the amt of food to account for the training treats...he cleared up.  Another option is feed smaller amts more often.  Instead of feeding 2 times a day...do 3 smaller meals.

For now, I wouldn't try another kibble...just because if the diahhrea continues, it could be because of the new kibble or an existing problem....you won't know. 

You can get the DOGzymes at this site "Nature's Farmacy" (yes, that is the correct
spelling) and the name of the product is DOGzymes and the best form to buy it in
is the powder, or at least I think so and they sell it more that way. -All ingredients are organic and
hypoallergenic . They also have excellent phone support (800) 733-4981.

Let us know how he is doing.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:10:36 am »
Lyn,
Sorry you are still having problems. I've been there with the loose stool before and you definitely don't what it at the next level. I have actually had some success by adding boiled rice to Oreo's food when he gets loose stool. It seems to help add some bulk. Of course my picky eater won't touch the rice though unless I boil it in chicken broth. Actually, I just add a bullion cube or 2 to the boiling water.

Oreo has had this problem on several occasions and I think I eventually ended up changing his food. He has been fine lately (knock on wood).

Good luck.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 06:37:28 am »
Thanks everyone for the help. This loose stool is just driving me crazy. It's horrible to clean up. I end up gagging my brains out. Scoop.. *gag*, scoop.. *gag*. LOL But there must be something else going on since the smell of his feces is just foul. I've resorted to walking Bubba on leash in the potty area so I can catch him when he tries to eat our other dogs poop. So when he poops I'm right there and woooo.. stinky.

I spoke to my vet and he said to bring him back in for some more tests. But Bubba is going in to be neutered in a couple weeks so I'm debating to wait and have him check everything then...

But I can say that Bubba has not eaten any poop in about a week. This may be a coincidence but I started adding a spoonful of plain fat free yogurt in his kibble once a day. And that's when he stopped picking up the other dogs poop. I'm wondering now if the Solid Gold is lacking something.. or he's just 'growing' out of it like I've read happens with Coprophagia. In any case I'm glad I no longer have to fish out in his mouth to pull out poop. LOL

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 07:03:25 am »
GROSS!!!!!!!!!!