Author Topic: Shade and Buyer Beware  (Read 1442 times)

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
Shade and Buyer Beware
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:31:22 pm »
First of all, I want to tell everyone that Shade is doing fabulous!  I can't believe how well she has recovered!  Again, I thank you all for sending us good thoughts and prayers.  In September, there's a Weim speciality show in the Atlanta area.  If they offer Veteran Bitches as a non-regular class, I do believe we'll enter.  Oh, our "up-and-back" and "go around, please" will be a lot slower, but I know from watching veteran classes before, it brought tears to my eyes seeing the old troopers strut their stuff.  And when that crowd clapped as they went round, you could see their eyes light up and maybe those chests puff out a little more.  Perhaps one last hoorah for the old lady, eh?  Which brings me to the second part of this novel.  Last night, I was looking on the Internet at a puppy finder site.  I was horrified at the description of a Weimaraner given by the Webmaster.  Could the standard have changed so much?  Shade is, after all, 15 now, so it's been a while.  So, I checked.  Nope.  I wrote the Webmaster and corrected the misinformation .  Whether it gets changed or not, we shall see.  Then, I started looking at the breeders advertisements .  I was shocked.  It amazes me that a "reputable" breeder would represent this wonderful breed in such a way...treating "long hair," "blue coat color," "green eyes" etc. as though these traits were badges of honor for the breed when, in fact, they are disqualifying faults.  Now, I realize that everyone doesn't want a "show dog," but every pup born in a litter isn't "show potential" so there are lots of opportunities for nice, pet-quality Weims.  Maybe that shoulder lay back isn't just what it should be for the ring but doesn't prevent that pup from being a wonderful companion. Sharing my home with Weims for most of the past 30 years, I feel it's my obligation to the breed to keep it true AND to educate potential Weim owners to the best of my ability, which doesn't include promoting undesirable (recessive?) traits.  We have BREED STANDARDS for a reason.  It alarms me that when folks read about "blue" Weims, they may think this is really fine.  I'm sure all our favorite breeds have such things happen.  It just really shocked me.  It's been a long time since I thought about a puppy...Course, when I found Shade, that was before "the Internet" was such a popular medium.  I resorted to spending weekends at dog shows and finally finding a male that I thought was awesome.  He was to be bred in a few months to a nice bitch.  So, I waited for my Shade to be conceived; waited until the pups were born; waited until the litter was graded, and finally had the pleasure of driving 3 hours to find my Shade.  Anyway, again, I know it's not just in Weims that this happens...and now folks, I'll stop venting. 
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Shade and Buyer Beware
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »
You go mom!!  Like we were talking about earlier, if people who are seriously looking for a good pup(for showing or breeding) come across websites like these that tell them these characteristic s are ok (which they are if it's just going to be a pet pup) in a way they've been lied too.  Then they've spent all this money on a pup that isn't standard, not to mention other genetic flaws that you may not be able to "see".  Navarre was a GORGEOUS shepard but his genetics sucked, and he had a short/painful life to prove that.  I wish I could have read what you wrote to the webmaster of that site!!  BPO's, my mom tends to get on her soapbox with her heels firmly planted when it comes to stuff like this :D!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 02:40:14 am »
All breeds need more people like you!  Tell em, girl!  I know in danes it happens quite a bit.  People trying to pass off "rare" colors as being special and worth more money.  Breeders that are cooking the pedigrees for buyers.  Breeders not telling potential buyers any relevant information regarding genetics and temperment.  It's very frustrating for those that genuinely want the breed to prosper reponsibly.

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 03:31:51 am »
AW I am so glad to hear Shade is doing so well. If she goes in the ring one more time-- I would love to see the pictures.

Well I hope you gave the Webmaster a good whooping. When we were looking for breeders for Rosie I was shocked at how many glorified the "blue coat" as rare and special. I felt bad for these people that may have been deceived by the breeder, making them think they have this rare unique dog for the breed.When if they were to try and show the dog it would be disqualified.

I am in no way disrespecting blues weims. I have met a few and they are great loyal and loving dogs. For people that are just new to the breed and beleive what the breeder is saying about the breed. Are misled by the breeders is what makes me frustrated.

I am so glad there are people like you that stand up for the breed. Thank you.