Author Topic: HELP! My big dog is a big baby.  (Read 22523 times)

Offline zrebny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! My big dog is a big baby.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 05:26:07 pm »
Hi all.  I want to thank everyone for their help.  Received Rescue Remedy in the mail just in time for the remains of hurricane Dennis.  Terrible thunderstorms and as usual Zoe was petrified.  Gave her a few drops and within ten minutes she was remarkably better.  She wasn't drugged out like she was with the perscription medicine.  I highly recommend it!  She stopped panting and shaking it was wonderful!  Thanks again.

Zoe's Mom
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 05:28:07 pm by zrebny »

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 01:07:56 pm »
I'm SO glad Rescue Remedy helped Zoe.  And a hurricane is a great test!  Awesome.  Love the updated pic of Zoe too!  She is a pretty, pretty girl.

Lori

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 07:57:12 pm »
Lucy's fine with storms, fireworks are a problem, but what really puts her over the edge is the garage door opener! Figger that one!

We tried the heavy sedatives a couple years ago (for the dogs) on the 4th, it was horrible. Never again. This year we hopped in the car and went for a ride, worked great. Course, it makes the sedatives highly irresponsible. .............. ........
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline daynakb

• Gnawer
  • This is Klaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 11:41:40 pm »
Wow!  Xanax for dogs!  I'll have to try Rescue Remedy.  My Doberman gets upset during thunderstorms.  I'm guilty of comforting him.  He lays beside me on the couch and whimpers here and there.  I also try to distract him though by bringing out the favorite ball or rope and playing.  That seems to work.

Now, what do you do about a dog that's afraid of the dark?  And no, I'm not kidding.

Offline daynakb

• Gnawer
  • This is Klaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 07:49:55 am »
If we're home and it's dark she's not so bad.  We had a huge ice storm a few years ago and were without power for four days.  All the hotels were full so we had to stay home and tough it out.  Every night when it started to get dark she would sit in front of us and look at the lamp then back at us then at the lamp and back at us.  Like she was saying, "Guys, it's getting dark, turn that thing on now."  She had a really hard time.  We've learned when we leave at noon we turn on lights in case we don't make it back before dark.

I have nightlights throughout the house as I'm an insomniac and tend to trip over things in the dark.  Those aren't good enough for her.  Snuggled in bed with us she's fine, but there's not watching TV in the dark.  She has to have a light on in whatever room she's in!

Offline zrebny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 11:06:16 am »
I'm actually in Pa. but we get all the leftover remnants from the hurricanes, heavy rain, thunderstorms, lightning.  Zoe's favorite spot is under the computer desk, its her safe spot.  The picture of Bava is soooo adorable!  I love when they sleep on their backs like that.  Zoe sleeps like that in bed with me.  Of course her heads at the other end and I usually have a big paw in my face.  I look over and she is spread eagle to the world, she has no shame.  I keep wanting to take the camera up to bed with me so I can take a picture of her, tongue hanging out, smiling and having her puppy dreams just as happy as she can be.  She is a serious bed hog but I don't know what I'd do without her.  Of course I could do without inhaling hair all night.  But I do recommend the Rescue Remedy it is so much better than having to drug her out completely.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:13:05 pm by zrebny »

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 04:04:37 pm »

Although late, I concur on the Rescue Remedy - it is always the best first option to try in case it works.  I also know that a lot of fear and paranoia is a common side effect from vaccines - specifically rabies and distemper which both affect the neurological system.  If you have a dog in really bad psychological condition during these episodes, I certainly wouldn't vaccinate her again and risk making it worse.  I would strongly recommend you consider consulting with a homeopath - knowledgeable homeopaths are very well schooled in the side effects of vaccines and the best remedies to try to counteract if this is underlying the problem at all.

Good luck
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 11:22:04 pm »
So glad you got help for Zoe.  I love all the berny photos.  I am still looking for a new dog after my 18 yr. old died and I love a berny or a berny mix, however, I read that they do not adapt to heat very well.  We live in a desert type climate and our summers are hot!!! Do they adapt to that or not?

Peggy
Peggy

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 10:11:07 am »

Oh boy, No....not at all.  They are a true cold mountain dog and are highly susceptible to heat stroke.  If you put a Berner in the desert or in high heat - he would never come outside - search for the coldest floor spot and not live a happy active life.  I know people in Arizona with them and I just cant imagine - when I ask how they do I just get the reply "oh, they just dont go outside and must be in air conditioning" - that's no way to live.

Our summers, although always very temperate, have become much warmer with all the global weather change and if my temperatures get over 75 degrees, my Berner is in the house.  Fortunately, we have had very few of those days so far this summer.

I hope you find a dog that will fill your void - I would highly recommend a sun dog however.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 11:48:46 am »
A friend of mine desensitized her dog to thunderstorms by buying one of those nature tapes.  She played the tape of the thunderstorm at first at very low volume, every day for hours at a time.  VERY gradually she turned the sound up until she could finally play it at full volume- it seemed to work, her dog doesn't even notice the thunder anymore.

Offline zrebny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 03:19:07 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to try that.  Would prefer she got used to them instead of having to give her anything.

Offline lburrell

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 06:49:21 am »
Peggy,

I have to disagree somewhat with sctrogans.  There are many, many people who have Berners who live in Texas, Arizona, Florida.  To imply that their Berners are not living any kind of life is completely wrong.  I think you definitely have to be more creative in terms of exercising your Berner when you live in hot termperatures.  They will not want to be outside during the hottest hours....but neither do humans that live in those areas.  Walking them early in the morning and later in the evening often works.  Setting up a shady area in the yard with a baby pool is a way for your Berner to spend time outside (though my guess is they will choose to hang out inside with AC).  Creating mentally stimulating games to play inside with your Berner is a great way to engage them.  Taking trips to the mountains where your Berner can frolick and play is always an option.

A Berner may not be the best choice if you want a dog that can participate in a lot of outdoor summer activities with you.  A Berner may not be the best choice if you won't have a lot of time to spend with them indoors...caus e they can get bored and you don't want a bored Berner.  There are a lot of factors you need to consider, but I would not say don't get a Berner just because you live in Arizona.  There are ways to make it work and many Berners live great lives with their families in the hot spots of the country.

Lori
Who lives in PA and it has been wicked hot ALL summer!