Author Topic: Is this typical for an Akita??  (Read 13838 times)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Is this typical for an Akita??
« on: July 29, 2006, 03:53:35 pm »
Max is a chow/Akita mix, but he has a few odd personality traits. I wondered if they are part of the Akita in him, or perhaps he's just weird  ;)?

He hates having anyone touch his paws. We have never been successful at cutting his toenails  :-\. Even with the vet, a large vet tech, my husband, and a muzzle, he still defended his toenails. He didn't bite or growl, he just struggled forcefully until the (stupid) humans gave up  :D. Recently, the vet drew blood for routine bloodwork, and he was fine with a needle in his arm, but don't touch his feet! :o

Secondly, he hates getting his feet wet. He will walk around puddles, or refuse to go across them. Even if it's raining outside and his feet (and the rest of him) are already wet, he still won't walk into a puddle  :-\.

Does anyone else have an Akita like this? Or does he just have a reverse-foot fetish?

Thanks!
Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

doggylover

Re: Is this typical for an Akita??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »
Me thinks you have a weird dog!  Don't be offended, my dog is, FOR SURE, weirder.  It's like a compliment around here. 

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:41:34 pm »
My GSD was the same way until he was about 5 and then it was like "oh, well".  I would play with his feet while he was sleeping or laying with me, I'd have his feet in my hands for as long as he'd let me anyway!!  I don't think it's a breed thing, just a personality thing!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 05:43:50 pm »
My GSD was the same way until he was about 5 and then it was like "oh, well".  I would play with his feet while he was sleeping or laying with me, I'd have his feet in my hands for as long as he'd let me anyway!!  I don't think it's a breed thing, just a personality thing!!
:: nod nod:: its all about personality!  Keep non threateningly playing with the feet, and eventually the dog will just plain wear out!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:20:24 pm »
my akita, akita chow mix, and GD are all like that, just not so fussy over their nails.  my hubby's pits are complete opposite, they just don't care.  maybe it's just because some dogs are a little more rotten than others?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Gemz

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 07:44:14 pm »
Mine's fine about his nails, but he does do the puddle thing. even when he's off lead he will walk around puddles instead of walking through them. he will go in the sea though.

One thing about my boy we fine strange is the way he carries toys around. he will have them in his mouth and cry. he tries to hide them but gives himself away all the time as you can hear him crying all over the house. he doesn't have a problem if you take the toys off him, in fact he'd gladly give them up.

anyone else have this problem??

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:58:33 am »
do you have other pets?  maybe he's worried that they'll take them if you do.  if not, he's just a toy freak ha ha.  we don't have any that do that, but my mom's oldest chihuahua merlin (11 y/o) does it all the time.  that's only because rebel (9 y/o) steals them from him though ha ha.  btw, it's funny you should say your akita will go in the ocean, because axle we have to drag / carry him while he's kicking and screaming (literally) to get him in any water other than the bath tub!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Gemz

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 03:04:45 am »
oh he didnt like the sea at first, he kinda ran in as far as the top of his legs and froze, i thought id have to go in after him and get him out, then he started jumping over the waves and thought it was great.

he'll have a bath, his face says "hurry up" but he wont cause a fuss.

Nope we dont have any other pets and he doesnt have a possesion problem, he just likes to cry, and hide things in my bed.

And if we find where its been hidden, then the crying starts all over again and he has to hide it somewhere else.

The thing is I have a dog behaviourist friend, and she says he's just strange, although she doesnt have any akita experience, but I guess he is just weird.

I will get a video of him doing it and post it here.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 03:11:01 am »
lol that's cute.  we've never had a dog do it for no reason ha ha.  if you leave them alone does he leave them alone and stop crying for the day? 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Gemz

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:33:05 am »
We often have to pretend we cant see him hiding something that is right in front of us. But if he is satisfied that no one knows where it is then yep he's happy and will stop crying.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 03:36:52 am »
lol how funny, he's toy greedy!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline saz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 07:53:58 am »
Hey there my name is Sarah and i have a 2 year old Akita, and she is very fussy with who and what touches her feet... she wont let my partner or the vet touch her feet either. I also have a friend with an Akita that has the same problems i have touched her feet a few times only gently while she is in an affectionate mood to get her warmed up to it.

But water on the other hand, my pup loves it...  not sure about the water part!

Hope this was of some help.

Offline aniakita

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:53:04 am »
My 6 year old akita gal doesn't like too much fussing with her paws. To trim her nails, we usually distract her with treats (cut up hot dogs or bologna.) She cries bloody murder when we're trimming her nails, except when she's too busy eating to notice! (It's a two person job, one to distract/feed and one to trim.)

She's not happy about going outside when it's raining, but will lay in wet grass afterwards.  She's also quite quirky when it comes to treats - no big bones for her! She's a dainty 86 lb flower!