Author Topic: My sweet Greta girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma last week  (Read 15229 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Greta turns nine on September 1st. She's almost there. I love her...that Greta girl. She's been my best friend for so long, but it is nearing the time to say goodbye. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I will write something more about her later. Hope everyone is doing well. Betti and Lou are doing great.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

doggylover

Re: My sweet Greta girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma last week
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:59:57 pm »
Oh I am so sorry.  In the very back of my mind, I know this will come for Badger too, but oh I can't hardly think of it. 
I'm so sorry.  I would love to see pics of her, and to hear some wonderful stories of her heroic acts!
:)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:02:21 pm »
I saw Greta & then looked to see who posted...My heart sank...Moonlit I have missed you...I have missed hearing about your puppers...I am so sorry to hear about "our" Greta. :'( ...Please know that I will be praying for you & yours & we will be here when you are ready to say more.
((((((((((Moonlit & Greta)))))))))
                                                 Love,
                                        Chelle, Sam & Pippin

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:03:42 pm »
Thank you. I will write something special for her soon. She has a lot of friends and I will have to tell them. She knows some people here, too, but I've been so busy for so long I hardly check in any more.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:11:15 pm »
Greta and Betti got into a squabble last week; it was the first row they've had in a year because Betti crawled under the baby gate and Greta jumped her. Anyway, Betti grabbed Greta's leg and she walked away with puncture wounds. I gave her antibiotics, but as the swelling from the wounds healed, the leg maintained a malformed patela. I took her to the vet and he x-rayed, coming back to say he wished he had better news, but that it was osteosarcoma (bone cancer). He said it is highly invasive and we discussed the treatment options. With this kind of cancer there are really only three treatment options: (1) Amputation, (2) Radiation Therapy, (3) Chemotherapy. The expected survival from time of diagnosis is 2-4 months. Since this cancer spreads to the lungs rapidly, the treatments serve to prolong the life of the pup, but in Greta's case I feel and think it will only prolong suffering. I care most about quality of life, so I do not want to see her suffer just so that I can have her around a few months longer. Right now she eats all kinds of people food, takes an anti-inflammatory, and relaxes a lot. We've built some ramps for her to walk down steps to avoid putting pressure on her leg (it's the right front) because with this kind of cancer bones can break easily. We are taking it one day at a time. But, like I said, I will not allow her to suffer. The hardest part will be knowing when the time is right...to let her go.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 06:20:25 pm »
I posted this quite a while ago-but the follow-up bloodwork was normal, so we went on with life. ------

Greta had a blood test yesterday and the vet called to say that while her kidney, liver and diabetes panels are all normal, her white blood cell count is low and her marrow count is up. This means her body is trying to fight something off and unless it is just a passing thing, such as the fact that my sister picked up a pup that was running scared in the desert along the interstate in NM last week and brought it home...and it could have passed something to Greta that her system is fighting....or ...

I don't even want to think about it. I am very sad today.

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 06:22:59 pm »
 :'(
Hugs to you...this is very sad.
Badger sends kisses

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:22:06 am »
Oh Greta!!! It's hard to make that choice!  Hard to loose them but hard to keep them too! 
Whatever you decide and whenever...you're in our hearts forever! 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:19:34 am »
 :'( Hugs to you and Greta.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 02:40:35 am »
Aww Moonlitcroatia, I am so sorry to hear about Greta. We are thinking of you both at this difficult time.
My very first rotti girl had osteosarcoma in her right back leg. She was 8 years old almost 9. We were able to keep her comfortable with meds for awhile.
 She will let you know when it is time. You will know in your heart what next step to take and when. You know your girl theĀ  best and can see any changes in her.
Like you said take it one day at a time and enjoy her company each day.
We are here for you .
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:41:15 am by Icerotti »

cricket36580

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:44:48 am »
I'm so sorry to read this.  Please come back here often.  We want to be there for you.  She will let you know when it's time.  It's one of the greatest acts of love when we help them to the bridge when it's time for them to go.  {{{hugs}}}

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 04:21:54 am »
I'm so sorry for you.  Prayers of comfort for you and Greta coming your way.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 06:34:36 am »
Our thoughts are with you and Greta right now.  Moonlit, you are sure to know the right time when it is upon you.  I agree that one of the most loving acts is to relieve the suffering of our most beloved pets.
Please share more of Greta with us.
Krista
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 06:57:05 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful Greta. Please let us know how you both are doing. 

Jennifer
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 03:21:45 am »
Thank you all for the kindness. What you've said is tremendously supportive. I couldn't ask for a better support group.

One of the hardest challenges is that Greta looks to me asking that I take the pain away. I know this because in the past I have always taken the pain away, made everything better. This time I can not make it better. I will add another pain medication today. She needs it. The lymph gland in her armpit is as large as a plum. My poor sweetheart! I love her so much.

Again, thank you for the encouragement. It helps me to know I am doing the right thing and not making a mistake. There is always that fear, even though I know the fear is unreasonable.