Author Topic: My sweet Greta girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma last week  (Read 15227 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: My sweet Greta girl was diagnosed with osteosarcoma last week
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 03:26:03 am »
Greta - last summer.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 03:29:54 am by moonlitcroatia »
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 03:31:16 am »
Greta - last summer.
She is a beautiful girl & obviously as sweet as can be!...Know that my thoughts are with you & my heart feels you during this painful time.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 12:22:55 pm »
Oh, Moonlit, I'm so, SO sorry.  This is the very worst aspect of loving a dog:  we live long; long enough to have to say goodbye too often to these special four-legged friends.  I wish there was someway to take the pain away, from her and from you.  Please know that we are all with you whenever you need us!   

Hugs!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 04:39:04 pm »
Hugs
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 01:57:17 am »
I'm thinking about Moonlit & Greta this morning...I hope they are o.k.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 04:39:40 pm »
Greta went to a lake on Sunday, August 6th. It seemed, in retrospect, too difficult of a trip for her. We put her in a raft and she rested near the beach in the shade, but when we got home she was soooooo tired and limping a lot. Next time I will go where I can park and just camp right there instead of traveling via raft and having to walk at all. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:41:40 pm by moonlitcroatia »
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 04:43:54 pm »
And more of her...on the ride home. I put the camera over my head (I was passenger) and took the photos not knowing what she was doing in the back seat. Looks as if the first photo caught her sleeping, but in the second she's giving me a dirty look--I think because of the flash.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 05:21:33 pm »
Our thoughts are with you and your family including all the fur kids.
Geta reminds me so much of Bear that I have already written about.When we got the Cancer diagnosis,we opted for quality of life as well and the steriods we put him on kept him comfortable for about 6mths.
Trust that Greta will will you know.Bear did and he was very grateful to us for letting him go.His only concern was our state of mind.But he was ready and we knew he was .
Good-byes are always hard.But we will see him again,and he waits.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 07:19:31 am »
In July we took Greta to a lake in central Washington state called Banks Lake. It's a high desert type of area where the lake stretches for miles. She really enjoyed being the only dog around. (This is before we knew of her illness.) It became really hot when we went fishing. The fish were cooked on the Coleman and I picked all the tiny bones out so Greta could eat them. That's why she loves fishing so much. She gets so excited. You should see her during a salmon run! During this trip mosquitoes bit her on the nose and her nose swelled up. A couple of days after we came home her eyes clouded over. I thought she had glaucoma, but it turned out to be an eye infection. Right after she began taking the antibiotics she attacked Betti. (That was the first time that happened in over a year.) Betti crawled under the baby gate and Greta cornered her. Betti bit Greta's right leg and the vet prescribed antibiotics for both Betti and Greta. So, I thought the bite wound caused Greta's leg to swell. I was pretty shocked to find out it was cancer and completely unrelated to the bite wound. I brought her in to see if her leg was broken, because that's what it looked like. Perhaps the bite wound sped up cell growth in that area, causing the cancer to show it's ugly face sooner.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 07:27:37 am »
Here is a photo of Greta lying on her bed with the cold pack on her leg. She is being treated with ointment for her eyes.

The other photos show how she spends most of her time: resting. This morning she got up and was all wiggles to see everyone. She has a little stuffed Koala bear that giggles like a child, so she fondled it for a while. I was happy to see her enjoying herself. She's still taking codeine, an anti-inflammatory, and her heart pills.

She's a sweetheart.