Author Topic: Yellow Grass  (Read 3692 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Yellow Grass
« on: June 11, 2005, 04:39:40 pm »
Does anyone have any good tips on keeping your grass green.Ive looked at the pills that dogs can take but they say 1 pill for every 20 lbs of dog.Thats not going to cut it when you have a saint bernard.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Grass
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 08:19:21 am »
I am having the same problem with grass turning yellow. I have all male dogs so they go pee in the same spot over and over. I looked in Petsmart and saw those pills you can give your dog, seems sketchy, but on the shelf underneath that I saw some stuff that you put right on the grass, maybe it's some kind of fertilizer. I didn't buy any, but the situation is getting bad in my yard, so I might have to try it. I'm amazed my rose bush is still alive!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 09:20:35 am »
Double check, it may not be the dogs pee. I know ours is yellow in spots where she does not even go, it is someting else, willl ask brandon when he gets home.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 10:43:44 am »
The acidity of your dog's urine is what turns the grass yellow (burns it).  Its usually females that have higher acidity.  I have tried a couple different things with Sophie... First I tried Green-um liquid (from PetSmart) which did not work at all and now she is on Gee-Whiz liquid  (love the name hahaha) which seems to be working pretty well.  Most of these products contains mostly herbs that neutralize the acid (off the top of my head I think the main ingrediant is Yucca...but I could be wrong).  They also make products to spray on after the dogs pee which I haven't tried.  But I have tried one that is supposed to repair the burnt grass I forget whats its called but it works ok...if you want the name  of it PM me and i'll get it.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 12:52:40 pm »
Sometimes I let my girls go kill the grass in the vacant lots next door.  Saves my already cruddy lawn.  :)  I know I know...bad me.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 05:49:34 pm »
A realtor told me to give my female Newf tomato juice to neutralize the acid....seemed to work well and is WAY cheaper than the pills. I used to up about a 1/4 cup in her food.   It does work!!!
Cowboy, the epileptic, takes potassium bromide which is a form of salt...I'm thinking of bottling and selling his urine  as a weed killer or a toxic chemical to use in IRAQ on the bad guys.  Certainly kills everything here!!  Tomato juice doesn't touch that problem! ;D