Author Topic: NEED ADVICE - looking for a second dog to go with our pittbull  (Read 9096 times)

Offline Andie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
We have a 14 month pittbull, Casper.  He is very social with people and other dogs.  He has lots of energy, and loves both indoors and outdoors.  We want to get a second dog.  Our number one priority is picking a breed (or mixed breed) that will have a better likelyhood of meshing well with Casper.  I am looking for a dog that is social with other dogs, and loves water.  We really like large to extra large dogs as well.  Any suggestions?

Nicole

Re: NEED ADVICE - looking for a second dog to go with our pittbull
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:36:06 am »
WOW! Casper looks just like my Am. Bully/Pitty mix, Bo! WOW!

Anyway, I had Bo and Cabeza at the same time. Cabeza is a Newfoundland/Chow mix. They did very well together. Never a fight. Of course, both of them are neutered, so I'm sure that is important. Honestly, I think that its all up to individual personality as far as the meshing well. But, if I were you, I'd tend to look toward a breed that is generally non-dominant. And, perhaps lean toward a female, but if a male, I'd definitely go neutered.

Also, Newfies love water and are very sweet!

Just my two cents!

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:38:37 am »
Here is a pic of Bo and I:

And just him:

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:19:48 am »
Casper and Bo are beautiful!!  I love those faces.  I think taking Casper to the HS is a good idea!  Good luck and welcome to BPO.  I am Heatherton and I have Daphne, a boxer and Stone a siamese mix.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Andie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:40:49 pm »
Way overdue, but thanks for the advice.  We did find a cute little girl, Daisy.  We think she's a weimaraner/pittbull mix. 

We really love her.  Unfortunately we are now looking for a new home for her.  About 2 weeks after we had her she attacked Casper.  She has since attacked him 5 times.  They are pretty ugle fights, and I am afraid one day I won't be able to break them up.  Her triggers are food - not dog food just people food, and when she's on lease.

We found that if she't not on a lease (and no food around) she is great with other dogs.  Loves them.  If she's on a leash we just never know if she'll be nice or turn into Kujo.  Anytime I have food,the dogs have to be outside.  The problem is, I can't constantly worry each time I come in with groceries, or go to the kitchen for a snack.

She is great with people! (half the time she's great with dogs) and really good with little kids.  She's a lover, always licking, and wagging her tail.  She loves playing ball.  She sits, stay, comes anytime you call her, always anxious to please.  We think she needs a single dog home.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice to solve her issues, or find a good home, let me know.  I refuse to take her to a shelter, so she's with us until we figure it out.

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 06:09:25 pm »
Way overdue, but thanks for the advice.  We did find a cute little girl, Daisy.  We think she's a weimaraner/pittbull mix. 

We really love her.  Unfortunately we are now looking for a new home for her.  About 2 weeks after we had her she attacked Casper.  She has since attacked him 5 times.  They are pretty ugle fights, and I am afraid one day I won't be able to break them up.  Her triggers are food - not dog food just people food, and when she's on lease.

We found that if she't not on a lease (and no food around) she is great with other dogs.  Loves them.  If she's on a leash we just never know if she'll be nice or turn into Kujo.  Anytime I have food,the dogs have to be outside.  The problem is, I can't constantly worry each time I come in with groceries, or go to the kitchen for a snack.

She is great with people! (half the time she's great with dogs) and really good with little kids.  She's a lover, always licking, and wagging her tail.  She loves playing ball.  She sits, stay, comes anytime you call her, always anxious to please.  We think she needs a single dog home.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice to solve her issues, or find a good home, let me know.  I refuse to take her to a shelter, so she's with us until we figure it out.
sorry for the problems with Daisy.

I would really recommend that you go on pitbullforum.c om, the people there have LOTS of pit bull experience and are awesome.

I have a pit bull myself and she is severely dog aggressive. So, I am unable to get another dog. Most multiple dog homes that include pit bulls and/or pit bull mixes have to seperate the dogs and rotate. Especially when any kind of food is involved. They usually have to be monitored very closely in every other situation.

Always remember that they are a dog fighting breed. It doesn't matter if they are mixed or pure, it is there. It may not be obvious now but you may never know when it will show up.

I sincerely hope that I do not sound negative or that I am belittling you! I am just very passionate about this breed. And I try to help and sometimes come off a little rude. NOT my intention at all!

Please visit that site and good luck!
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP
Falcon-Argentine Dogo RIP

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:07:13 pm »

I am sorry about your problems. I want you to know that what the other person said is not entirely true. Not all pit owners have to seperate and rotate. My dog was raised with another dog and is noway food aggressive. Its all in how you raise them. Though alot of people crate their pits while theyre gone simply because when pits fight most of the time they wont stop. The most important thing is i would try to get a puppy for reasons like daisy. Especially if you get another pit. you never know what happened to them before. good luck!!! :D
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:31:07 pm »
Here is a pic of Bo and I:

And just him:

He's a cutie!! Loooveee the face! I'm such a sucker for bully breeds... ha
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

Offline choppersmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:46 pm »
I had an APBT and an american. They were adopted right around the same time and we were very careful to socialize them. We still had 2 fights over the course of a year. It got worse after the pit was attacked by some random Rodesian Ridgback at the park. After that she wasn't takin any crap form any dog....then we moved adn they don't allow pit's at dog parks here. The american doesn't live with us anymore because he was my brothers and they moved out when he took a job in another state. I finally got a another dog when a stray Akita wandered into my yard and befriended the pit. I don't have to seperate and rotate but I do feed them seperatly and they are seperated when I'm at work. My pit is in no way food agressive it's the akita, the 2 bully's ate out of the same bowl at the same time never had a problem at meal time. Both times involved toys and generaly happened when chopper (the pit) was tired and cranky
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:57:33 pm by choppersmom »

Offline Neicy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:49:35 am »
I still stand by the saying that a dog is a reflection of the owners dedication to them.
I grew up with dogs all around me. My mother raised Dobermans and Poodles and Poodle crosses. All of these dogs were raised and socialized and great dogs. After all of those years growing up I have never been bitten by a dog. That says something.
I currently am trying to find a home for my deceased brothers pitbull. Now let me set the record straight this dog is a big baby! He loves my kids, gets along with my cats better than my Border Collie and seems to like the other dogs just fine. I cannot turn him out with them yet because he is not neutered. D day is Feb 6th, after he heals he will be trialed with them. He is fine in the crate next to them (its a wire crate, they can lick and see eachother and hes fine.)

A dog is the time you dedicate to it. If you get a dog and lock it up and never socialize it (like a child) yes a nice person can have an angry dog. If you take a dog and spend lots of time loving it and training it you will have a good dog.....

Offline choppersmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:34:55 pm »
I am taking chopper to obedience training and they guanentee that they can stop any unwanted behavior even agression. I have to send her away for 6 weeks and it cost $1200 but they guarante she will never jump a fence again, to me it's worth is as normal obedience classes wont address this issue, also if she ever develops a new issue they will fix that too.