Author Topic: How old for first grooming of GS???  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Annabelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How old for first grooming of GS???
« on: August 02, 2006, 01:45:49 am »
Annabelle is 8 weeks; how old should a giant schnauzer be for the first grooming/cut?
Her other mommy had her booked for cut late this week; but I just love the fluffy puppy look, but then again how long is too long?
clueless!??? help me please

GR8DAME

Re: How old for first grooming of GS???
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:36:33 am »
I would think that it is a process that you would want to get her used to as soon as possible, with repeated short exposures. Like bathing and nail cutting it could be stressful if they are not used to being handled in that way.
We have a couple of GS slaves here, but I think Mel (Mommy of schnauzers) is the most active. If she doesn't catch this post, try and PM her, as she would be a great resource for you.
Stella
Modified cause I can never spell that breed! LOL
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:38:12 am by GR8DAME »

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:15:21 am »
I booked my girl for a hair cut as soon as I brought her home at 8 weeks.  As Stella (GR8DAME) stated, the earlier you can get her exposed to being groomed the better.  When we lived in SC, I took my girls to a wonderful small time groomer that took time to love on them while she had them in her care.  But now that we are in IN, my SIL used to be a groomer, therefore, I have access to professional tools and have gotten to practice grooming her myself.  Now I'm not to shabby at it! ;)  Dazy will now get onto the grooming table by herself, and after I cut her hair, I slide the table over to the tub (which is a raised tub specifically for grooming) and she climbs in and sits or stands (depending on the command I give her) for bathing.  When I finish bathing her, she steps out of the tub back onto the grooming table and I dry and brush her out there.  Sorry I wrote a novel, but the moral of the story is.... ASAP. ;)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:57:09 pm »
Since I used to work at Hugo's Kennel, I was the one who gave him his first haircut (and every haircut since).  He got his nails, belly, potty area done at only a few weeks old.  He had his first full hair cut at probably at 8 weeks, if not sooner.  I would go ahead and take her to the groomer's now.  Even if you choose to leave the fluffy puppy look, which is fine, Annabelle will still benefit greatly from the visit.  The groomer will bathe her, brush her, pull out her ear hair, do her nails and pads and just get her accustomed to the whole grooming process.  Believe me is it VITAL for the health of your dog (not to mention the groomer) that you start this early.  It is extremely hard to groom a giant schnauzer who has never had any grooming done to him except what is done at home.  I have groomed giants who were 6 months+ and had never stood on a grooming table.  Giants are stubborn and at 6 months old they are also big and quite a handful to never have been groomed.  Giants should go to the groomer's every 6-8 weeks while they are under a year old.  Even if it is just to get a bath and nail job.  Believe me, the groomer will love you for it  ;D
shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline K9_grooming_guy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:38:20 am »
I raised/bred show dogs when I was younger (with parents) and we always started a regular grooming routine at 3-months. When you have to bathe and groom a show dog every week it is best to start early. Like others said above your groomer will appreciate you starting early.

I would also recommend to give baths yourself as you will find it can be a great bonding experience with you and your dog.

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:51:55 am by K9_grooming_guy »