Author Topic: He's finding his voice.  (Read 4244 times)

Offline gabeshouse

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
He's finding his voice.
« on: August 02, 2006, 02:12:12 pm »
Gabe found his voice over the weekend, after 3 weeks of being in his new home. Saturday at work, he decided to bark very time I went outside and every time I left the room when inside. He was in his crate and hasn't done that when out of the crate. He has to learn barking at work could be a deal breaker that would force him to stay home. Later in the weekend, a dog was barking on tv so he started to bark and ran to look out the window. He stopped after I said it was ok. I took him to the vet and When he heard a dog inside barking, he started to bark.

How do you teach the difference between ok to bark and not ok to bark- because he's mad he's in the crate and can't follow me or simply anytime anywhere a dog barks?

I have to admit that the combination of barking at the tv AND looking out the window was cool. He knows his home now.

Greg

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: He's finding his voice.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:53:53 am »
He'll also learn on his own what to bark at and what not too.  Right now he's in the "my territory" zone so he will probably bark at just about any noise, but when he figures out the differences in the noises he'll stop the majority of it.  And the "no bark" works well too.  A friend of mine taught his dog not to bark at all.  Good luck
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Re: He's finding his voice.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:07:28 am »
my trick with Einstein is a measuring cup of water handy at all times.

Don't know if your pup LOVES water or not, but with Einstein, he stops barking if I so much as LOOK at him now.  Somehow, since the first time I threw water on him (because he was barking at cats in the middle of the night) he instinctually knows when to bark and when not to (which probes to me he knew all along, he just enjoyed making noise and since I didn't say anything, he took that to be approval).

I still "let" him bark a lot.  I think he needs to be able to do that from time to time.  But since he never barked at people at my front door anyway, I don't think I've ruined his guard-dog talent. 
Sarah