Author Topic: Ack, Bubba Stepped on Lola. :(  (Read 3093 times)

Lyn

Ack, Bubba Stepped on Lola. :(
« on: September 01, 2006, 03:09:12 am »
Lastnight Lola got up and as soon as she put pressure on her back right leg she fell over. :o I about had a heartattack!  :'(

I'm pretty sure Bubba stepped on her when they were playing yesterday evening. :( They were running around the yard, Lola tripped and Bubba was directly behind her so he ran full force over top of her. I didn't hear a peep out of her so I thought he jumped over her but he must have trampled her and stomped on her back end. :'(

Upon closer inspection there is a large scratch on the inside of the back right leg so Bubba must have stepped on her. What really freaked me out though is that she's not walking normally on either back leg! She walks like her hips are stiff. Since I have no idea whether or not HD runs in her 'lines' it's a serious concern for me. But I rotated both hips and felt down both legs and I didn't get any pain reaction at all.

I did call my vet and he said to give her a few days of rest and if it continues to bring her in for an exam and x-ray.

But I'm freaking out.  :'( Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh  :(

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Ack, Bubba Stepped on Lola. :(
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 03:14:56 am »
oh, I so know the feeling.  I am watching every move when Penny Lane plays with Dixie and Sugar Bear. They are so big and she is sooooooooooooo little.  She just does not know it by the way she wants to play. 

How is Lola doing today?

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 03:27:36 am »
She's 'stiff' but not limping. I just rotated her hips a few minutes ago and they were popping. UGH. Bubba's joints snapped, crackled and popped during growth too so I'm trying not to worry about it. Damn HD though. I swear it's giving me grey hairs. :-\

I'm going to have to stop the rough play from now on. At least until Lola catches up in weight to Bubba. He's stepped on her before but never with all his weight like that.  :(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:29:15 am by Lyn »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:27:18 am »
Poor Lola!! Hope it's nothing serious and she's just sore.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 06:51:25 am »
I just had to break up a play session that she initiated. So I think she's feeling fine now. I guess I over reacted like usual.  :-[

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:48:22 am »
Don't be hard on yourself. I freak out over small things too! But we all just love our big dogs so much, that's why. Keep us updated on how she's doing, okay? And give that girl and her brother some love from me, Zoey and Dolly please!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 05:50:23 am »
Yup she seems fine now. Thank god.

I'm definitely going to have to watch Bubba more closly with her when they are playing. My son said he saw what happened. Basically Bubba got the zoomies and plowed right into her. She fell over backwards and twisted both back legs/hips. Then as he was going over her he stepped on her right back leg. :( I glanced over and saw him running behind her but I missed the part where he ran into her.

He's ran into me when he had the 'zoomies' and he's stepped on me. So I can just imagine how much that hurt her. :(

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 07:49:26 am »
I just had to break up a play session that she initiated. So I think she's feeling fine now. I guess I over reacted like usual.  :-[

I don't think you're over reacting.  We had two male Labs, littermates, who were previously owned by a man who got them together as pups.  Josh plowed into Jesse at about 6 mo of age during a zoomie session and Jesse still at age 12 has a limp in that shoulder.  It has never been the same.  With dogs this big, they can cause permanent damage that can follow them through their lives.  Obviously Jesse is still with us so it wasn't fatal but it is a quality of life issue that will likely play into the decision as to how long we keep him alive.
Daphne