Author Topic: "SKINNY" Question  (Read 2226 times)

k2campbell

"SKINNY" Question
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:17:06 pm »
Kate didn't start blowing her coat until just before we went to BC (mid August).  She blew it out there, and didn't stop until just this week.  Obviously, she lost a lot of fur.

My concern is that she is looking so skinny  :P I realize that she did just lose a tonne of fur, but it still concerns me a bit.  She did go to the vet before we left and she said she was in perfect shape, and I'm sure she lost a few pounds on our trip (with all the swimming and extra excitement).

Do any of you notice a big change in your dogs' body appearance after they blow their coats (other than coat appearance of course)?  Kate has had all her shots and preventative medications as necessary (we  recently had to give her Revolution to prevent heart worm as we went into BC). She's been eating mostly average, on extra hot days she'll skip a meal a day.  Her energy is normal, she's the same silly girl.

I may just be paranoid, but thought I'd ask!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:20:35 pm by k2campbell »

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: "SKINNY" Question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:25:12 pm »
When Allie blew her coat this past summer I couldn't believe how skinny she looked ! I went as far as to up her amount of food she gets and pretty soon she was starting to get too chubby , so now she's back to the normal amount . But she looked so dang skinny to me after loosing all that hair ,I couldn't believe it ! I thought maybe I had been feeding her too little and couldn't tell with all the hair , but now I see she was/is just fine  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:41:10 pm »
OMG yes,I notice a huge difference!...Plus, right around spring coat blowing, they cut back on their food intake...So the few lbs. they lose combined with the undercoat all coming out makes a HUGE difference in their appearance!!...Come winter they will look huge again. :)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 12:41:17 am »
Poor chara had the same thing...  It is hard feeling the ribs when they have that HUGE coat...and then when it is blown out you are like OMG i have been starving my baby... I packed a little weight on her so she looks much better...

and the other thing is by the time they blow their damn coat the winter one is coming in LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 11:52:49 am »
Thanks so much guys - you've made me feel at ease :) They are so deceiving with all that fur!!! :D  Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's noticed it on my fur baby :)