Author Topic: Popping sound comes and goes  (Read 5485 times)

Offline GracieGirl

• Gnawer
  • Partners in Crime
    • View Profile
    • My Dobies album
Popping sound comes and goes
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
 I've read alot od posts here, now I'm scared. It started around 9 months old, she'll be 10 on the 9th. Gracie (fawn doberman)came down the carpeted hall one night, and I kept hearing popping sounds. Almost like knees popping like people have. I only hear it in the house, not outside. It's not constant either, it comes and goes. Sometimes after a few weeks. It only seems to be at
night, or at least that's when it's more common.

Her hips aren't stiff when she walks or runs. She also never seems to be in pain. Her and our other dobe run around the yard and spar alot.

We live in Arizona, so it's not cold, it's just hot. And our dogs sleep on our bed, they are very pampered. I cannot figure this one out. 

Now, Gracie is a big chic!! She's a fawn, and her parents were HUGE! Mama was 90lb, and the father was about 120.
Gracie is about 70lb now, and is almost larger than our 75lb 4 year old black/tan dobe.

Our older eats Kirkland chicken and rice. Gracie eats Nutro Natural choice Lamb & Rice, the other food gave her bad gas. They both also eat one Bumble Bee Fish oil capsule a day for Omega 3. Could these popping sounds be air pockets while she's growing? Everytime I plan on taking her to the vet, it doesn't happen. Should I take her in anyways to get an xray?

Forget Caller I.D., I want Caller I.Q.?

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Popping sound comes and goes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:06:32 pm »
Just as a precaution, I would start giving her a glucosamine tablet every day. She will be a big dog, no doubt, so hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other joint problems are definitely a concern. Sorry I don't have any other advice!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 06:11:59 pm »
I would recommend keeping her as lean as you can, while still keeping her healthy.  Also, I think you ought to take her in for full x-rays.  This sounds bad to me...
 :(

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:16:30 pm »
I know in people if it pops and doesn't hurt or make you uncomfortable they tell you don't worry about it, it's just something that happens...liga ments slip, air, etc.  Dog's, I don't know.  But they do suggest, in big dogs anyway, that you get the hips especially x-rayed, at least prelim wise before they are a year and then again when they are done growing.  Ultimately, it's your peace of mind and you can tell if your dog is uncomfortable.  Good luck and keep us posted (no pun intended :D).
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:13:42 am »
You need to take your dog to the vet. Could be luxating patella? It is not common in most large breed dogs, but I would still have it checked.

Deena

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:22:17 pm »

Two things I would be concerned about popping in a large breed dog are popping hocks and luxating patellas (knees). Both would surface at about the age you describe given the growth patterns, and if minor, will not affect the dog's activity and with proper muscle development may be fine. But if they progress, will result in lameness and require surgery. 

I recommend getting dogs OFA certified (www.offa.org) - unless you can get them PennHip instead (requires anesthesia) and ensure there are no problems (or if there are, you are aware and can watch).  Depending on what your breed is susceptible to, get the appropriate certification (hips, elbows, knees, heart, etc.)

Otherwise, be as observant as you can to identify the source of the popping and palpate the knees to see if anything slips from side to side. You can do the same on the hocks and watch her for any further development.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:42:59 am »
Riley a newf who ofa good, was doing this during a growth spurt and it was for a few months.
mirranda a newf i owned did this during growth also and ended up with good hips,
i also recommend MSM chond and gluc
i buy the joint health tabs found at
http://www.springtimeinc.com
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline GracieGirl

• Gnawer
  • Partners in Crime
    • View Profile
    • My Dobies album
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 05:47:13 pm »
Husband thinks it's growing spurts, etc. He doesn't want me to take her to the vet about her hips.

So, I backed off the Kirkland Food (gave her bad gas). I only buy our girls Nutro Lamb & Rice. Then, I give them both BumbleBee (tuna maker)Omega-3 fish oil 1000mg a day. Tonight, I bought a bottle of Ultra Plan Glucosamine Chondroitin supreme, from a health vitamin store.

These are the ingredients: Vit C-25mg  Vit E-25iu  Glucosamine hci-250mg  glucosamine sulfate-250mg  chondroitin sulfate 400mg  msm 100mg  citrus bioflavonoids complex 10mg  superoxide dismutase 5 mg

It's amazing, my dogs love eating the softgels whole.
Forget Caller I.D., I want Caller I.Q.?