Author Topic: Questions about carting/sledding  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Questions about carting/sledding
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:09:08 pm »
I am interested in teaching my 2 dogs to pull a cart or sled (probably a cart more often considering our biggest snowfall is like 3-4 inches and melts the day that it snows!  ::) ) Anyway, I wondered if any of you have taught your dogs carting or sledding and any tips you may have. Websites that have great info, good places to get harnesses, ganglines, tuglines, hitches, etc. Or are any of you interested in teaching your dog how to cart but haven't done anything yet like me?  :)

Also, do you guys think that it is hard on the dog's hips or back to pull things like that? I'm a little bit worried about increasing the risk of hip dysplasia with heavy pulling, but I e-mailed a lady who is an expert on carting and she seemed to assure me that if done the right way, it shouldn't be a problem. How old do you think my dogs should be before I teach them to pull? I don't want to hurt growing bones or muscles. Zoey is 17 months and Dolly is 15 months. Tell me what you all think!

Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

mjjensen

Re: Questions about carting/sledding
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:16:12 pm »
I don't have any answers for you but I seem to remember nostaw posting pictures of his Newfies pulling carts. He might be a good source of info.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 06:13:17 pm »
I am planning on cart training my dogs too...I am STILL waiting for my hubby to finish their pvc pipe lightweight training cart...I believe you can start traing them on a lightweight training cart at 1 yr. or so but they aren't supposed to pull any kind of weight until they are at least 2...I wouldn't try having them pull anything heavy until the age of 3 but that is just my opinion...Have you seen the diagram for making the pvc pipe practice cart?

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 06:22:18 pm »
I think so, but it looks kind of complicated. Is it? And all we have for a possible cart is an old rusty wagon, which I'd rather not use. What are you planning on using?
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 06:27:40 pm »
I think so, but it looks kind of complicated. Is it? And all we have for a possible cart is an old rusty wagon, which I'd rather not use. What are you planning on using?
I don't know if it is complicated as my hubby is building it & STILL hasn't finished it. >:( I do not believe this is due to the degree of difficuly but more his sick need to procrastinate until I am ready to kill him! :( My dad is an awesome woodworker & after the dogs are old enough to pull weight he is going to build me a cart with a bench seat that sits up high in the back for my kids to ride on...I also hope to enter them in parades & such. :)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 06:22:12 am »
I'm more familiar with carting with a horse than with a dog but my understanding is that the weight ought to rest on the shoulders and the pull come from the shoulders as well.  Might want to run it past your vet to be sure but I would think the excercise ought to be good for keeping them in shape.  Just like good excercise equipment for people, I would be sure to invest in good equipment for the dogs, esp harnesses.  I do have some pics saved of a nice little wooden sled if I can figure out where I put them...
Daphne

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 07:30:31 am »
I've been looking for good quality harnesses on the net. I'm sure I'll find something. I heard it was good exercise too. See, I already have an actual dog sled, but I need a cart. And those can be expensive. Not sure what to do.
Marissa