Author Topic: Best place to get a Newfoundland puppy?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Alek

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Best place to get a Newfoundland puppy?
« on: August 06, 2006, 05:12:12 pm »
Hello,

My wife and I are considering getting a Newfoundland puppy for our kids. However, we are not sure what is the best way to go about it. I think that the idea of rescuing one would be great, but we are affraid of health problems. Also, we heard that it is best to get the puppies as young as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh! If you live in Alpharetta, GA. would you please suggest a place?

Thanks,

Alek

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to get a Newfoundland puppy?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:29:02 pm »
If you know all of this, please forgive me in advance! 

A Newf puppy is one of the most wonderful things in the whole world!  But taking one on is not to be taken lightly.  The are, sadly, a delicate breed.  Good breeders are rare and the heredity problems can be scary!  My suggestion is to start with the Newfoundland Club of America's breeders list and then start calling and emailing to get as much info. as you can.  Then, once you narrow down your choice of breeders,  check all the health certification through the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) at www.offa.org.  That will at least give you a fighting chance for a healthy puppy.  I'm only cautioning you because I lost two Newfs at only three years olds because I didn't do my homework. 

These guys rely on their families to take care of them, so count on them being an inside dog, with all that entails:  fur EVERYWHERE, drool from the floor to the ceiling and ALWAYS on your thighs!  They don't do well in the heat, so make sure you have air conditioning for them.  They are fantastic with children, but make sure your children understand that they are NOT stuffed animals to be ridden.  They ARE fragile their first two years so ther are no long walks on hard pavement, no jumping from cars, as little running as possible and caution on stairs.  They require a premium kibble or other costly food and vet bills are always higher for any giant breed.

I'm sorry if I've offended you with the basic care and feeding of a giant breed, but we've all seen too many of these guys go in to rescue because people had no idea what they are getting in to.  Stay as far away as you can from a pet store or backyard breeder.  Dysplasia and epilepsy are NOT fun to deal with.  I've had four Newfs and one had severe hip dysplasia (and died at three years old) and my present guy, Cowboy has epilepsy.  Cowboy is from a well known, responsible breeder and even they have surprises.  If you have any questions about a specific breeder, pm me and I'll be happy to help if I can!

Good luck.  There really is nothing more fun and more worthwhile than a Newf puppy, in my humble opinion!! ;)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:34:18 am »
one thing that i cringe at, is when someone states they are buying the dog for the kids. though i am sure it is not meant in bad light.
Many people say the kids will be responsible for the grooming and care, as a groomer, i was accused for clipping the feathers off a schnauzer becouse the kids did not brush and comb properly though mom insisted they did, and they huffed and puffed and never came back, good, i dont need clients like that, so to, goes for you guys, the responsibility and rearing and care is the parents, the kids enjoy the pet. not that you were going to be this way, but, the majority of people i dealt with in grooming it was that way!
first off, you must meet them, be ready for the drool the wet floors the mud and dirt, the grooming alone is a full time job esp when they are altered, you also must remember, OFA is NO GAURANTEE! NONE! and just becouse generations are ofa good, it doesnt mean this litter will be healthy, though prescreening is good, it just is to much a guessing game, and, joint problems in dogs are very samiliar to our own joint problems in humans, you dont see us being xrayed before we have children, and, our children do not come with a GAURANTEE.
just remember, big dogs cost big bucks to treat.
it is best to be around the big dogs to see what they are like, visit as many people who own them, in their house and wherever.
Remember, the building block to this breed is muscle, excersise is crucial, it builds up the rear muscle that helps hold the hip bones in place as they grow, if they are not excersised chances are the development will be affected, as well the final outcome.
i also urge anyone who has a pup to go to obedience classes and not just one, these are THINKING DOGS they problem solve and think, what happens when we think? we get into trouble, there will be mouthing issues, esp bad if bought before nine weeks of age, the giant breeds do not go thru bite inhibition until later, and the whole litter must be in that stage and thru it before going home, mouthiness is natural, to save a drowning person they grab an appendage in the water to drag them to shore, the pup must learn that on shore grabbing an arm is not allowed, it maybe cute when they do it as a pup, but, believe me, it aint cute when they get older and bigger.
it is not allowed in my home or on land.
there are many more issues and most important, your breeder should be your COACH, not someone who gets the money and is never there for you. that is not a good breeder.
a good breeder does not finish their job once money is in hand, the job continues thru the lifetime of the pup.
questions should be welcome, education should be hot and heavy before the purchase of the pup.
look up the breed standard, do not BUY FOR SIZE!!!
females 100-120lbs
males 130-150 lbs
do not be impressed with a huge sire, bring someone knowlegable about structure and movement, becouse, if this huge newf cannot walk three miles a day, and doesnt gait with reach and drive, that can be passed on to pups, and, remember, the building block of muscle.
if a dog is not energetic and active, it is not going to develop correctly.
i could go on and on
i do not mean to turn you off, or to chastise, i just like to educate, and, i my own way it may come across the wrong way completly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:47:08 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:54:10 am »