Author Topic: Newfies and water  (Read 4032 times)

Offline lenas mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newfies and water
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:10:38 am »
I have a couple of questions??
How do you water your newfies in the house with out making a mess?  My dog plays in her wter and makes such a mess.
Also, I would like to look into doing some training with her in water rescue. Any good videos or books that would help?
Thanks!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Newfies and water
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:13:33 am »
I keep my dog's water outside, I don't keep any water for them inside.  They drink everytime I let them out so it is not like I am withholding water.  I am just saving my hardwood floors.  This only works for us because we are in and out every hour or so from when I get home until bedtime.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 08:21:12 am »
The Newfs water is outside at all times!  My big boy, Cowboy LOVES to submerge his head (up to his eyeballs :o!!) to drink from the bottom and then he comes up somewhat like a surfacing submarine with water gushing out of all portals!  You can only imagine the mess!!!  Chester, my brown boy, is much more civilized and drinks like a normal dog so he could, perhaps, get a bowl of water in the house....but we still have Cowboy!!!  We also have a dog-fountain outside for them which works great!  I stole the idea from a friend with Bernese Mt. dogs who converted a half a wine barrel for their water bowl!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:03:03 am by newflvr »

Offline lenas mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 10:53:03 am »
Thanks that helps I thought I had a extra messy girl.  We do keep her food and water outside, partially to seperate from the poms we have in the house.
I live in Minnesota in the north metro area.  But we are around lakes a lot of the summer.  Really would like to see if she has water rescueing in her.
thanks!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 02:12:52 pm »
The trick that I have found for keeping the water from being a hazard in the house is to keep it in an extra large bowl and off the floor, which helps reduce spilage, and keep a bathmat underneath to catch any water that spills so that you won't slip on it
RIP former BPO

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 12:19:25 am »
Water must be accessable and esp in hot weather, if you work water must be in the house, i put big towels under the bowls and change them every other day or two days,i also have a plastic matt with lips on it, i bought from walmart, as i have five bowls on my kitchen floor, two of them go on that matt, the lips keep the water on the mat.
 some people have raised water dishes, those help.
if you want to do water work, go to your nearest regional newfoundland club and find out when trainings are.
also a book you can buy from judi adler, though i am not a fan of hers, the info is enough that anyone can get started easily.
i believe it is called water play water work, something to that affect.
you can find it thru amazon i am sure or thru her website, wich is sweetbay newfoundlands.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:09:05 am »
Hi. I live in Minnesota also. Just outside of Minneapolis. We too are looking for help in water training. I am a member of the Northstar Newf Club, and usually they have a water workshop in August, but no one in the club that I have talked to has heard anything about it. They also don't seem to have regular training anywhere that I can find. There is someone in the club that has mentioned wanting to get a group together for training, but I know she is very busy with showing and kids.

Our biggest problem has been finding lakes/beaches that dogs are welcome at. Feel free to email me at skramlinger@visi.com and we could discuss further. I would love to get together.

Also, I would highly recommend the Judi Adler book. It is great.

Stacie

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 03:39:33 am »
I'm afraid water mess and Newfies go together!! We have buckets of water in the garden, but in our kitchen there is a bowl of water sat on a folded towel, which we change daily as it is always soaking! Just one of the joys of having a Newf ;)

Molly and Kitten are the worst offenders for letting gallons of water pour from their chops!!! Honey is too refined to do such a thing... Yeah right! :D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte