Author Topic: California Natural is a NO go. :(  (Read 7098 times)

Lyn

California Natural is a NO go. :(
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:21:33 am »
I'm switching back to the Eagle Pack Fish starting today. If I ever mention switching again for ANY reason someone kick me! Hard!! I'll figure out a way to afford the EP. It's the 2 bags a months at $77 each that killing us.. But we will have to cut costs in other areas because I'm not doing this again.

My opinion on California Natural isn't good to say the least. >:( Bubba and Lola BOTH have explosive diarrhea if I even give them 1/4 cup and Bubba has lost 7 pounds!! 7 freaking pounds!! :o I noticed he was looking a little thin. My first thought was uh oh he's lost a couple pounds. But not 7! We weighted him last night 3 times because I just couldn't believe it. I feel like such a tool, I never should have switched in the first place. :'(

Lesson learned!  :'(

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: California Natural is a NO go. :(
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:33:41 am »
i hope you don't mind me chipping in here... but Eagle pack anchovie here in MA isn't nearly that expencive. Where do you get it from? On the eagle pack website you can get $2 off coupons.  I distribute flint river ranch, i could send you a sample of that if you want,... or i can find the website with free shipping to send you the eagle pack food.
Lauren and Jazmine
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 04:35:21 am »
sorry for another reply... 30 lb of Cali. naturals here is $30.00 and eagle pack is $40-$50
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 05:15:24 am »
I'm in Canada (I keep forgetting to mention that it's canadian funds) it's $66.99 for the 33lb bag. The California Natural is $53.99 for the 36lb bag. Plus taxes..

I wish I could order from the US but the shipping was crazy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:16:15 am by Lyn »

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 05:18:12 am »
I REALLY didn't want to see this post today! LOL  I just ordered Koby some CN because he all of a sudden thought it would be cool to have booty blowouts everywhere and he's been eating Innova!  I did talk to a CN representative yesterday and she had told me this food is VERY VERY rich.  She had said to never feed the full amount at first and she had also mentioned using plain yogurt mixed into the food.

Ok this is the part that gets good.  She asked me what kind of water we use for him!  I never even thought of it but apparently some city water has certain chemicals in there that strip a dogs digestive system of the "good" bacteria, causing diahrea!  So I'm now going to be using Spring Water to see if that's what's causing his booty blowout madness!!  I never ever thought that his problems could be the water, but I've sent in multiple stool samples to the vet(they probably think I have a poop obbsession!) and the samples always come back clean no parasites, no food I've ever given him has agreed with him so I think the water may be causing his problems.

I just thought I'd let you know what I found out yesterday, hopefully Bubba is feeling great in no time!

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 05:19:58 am »
I love that lol... booty blowouts...lol that is great!!!
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:36:07 am »
Anakalia, Hopefully Koby has better results. *fingers crossed*

I did try a really slow switch.. but even a quarter cup sent Bubba's tummy into an uproar. And now that's he lost weight it's just not worth trying again. I'm not meaning to knock CN. But quite honestly I hate it now. LOL

We are on well water.. the PH is high at 8.0 but there are no nasties in it as far as I know. It's tested fairly frequently since we have farmers all around us that use pesticides and fertilizers. I can try filtering it anyway.. You never know.. 

LOL I bet my vet thinks I have a poop obsession too. :D I walk in there and the first they say is "Another stool sample for Bubba?" LMAO

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 05:41:58 am »
I know it is a different food, but i tryed flint river with jaz, and it was too nutrient dense for her, gave her the worste bout of bum blowouts i have ever experienced with a dog, it was to the point of her crying when going. So needless to say i stopped once that happened.  If your pup never had problems with the water this whole time, then why do something different? Sometimes the foods are too dense for the dogs to digest properly.  I did the same 1/4 cup to three of the old foods and that still set her belly in an uproar. After she ate i lied on the bed with her and listend to her stomach...the amount of air in there, and bubbles occuring ... i felt horrible, so i started her on Prozyme and it does wonders. Try giving an enzyme like prozyme or D-zyme from solid gold, it help jaz with her blowouts i am sure it will help yours.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 05:44:44 am »
I use Nutro Max and I thought it was going great, been using it for about a year now, but all of a sudden Kingsley has started to have VERY watery stools. About a week and a half ago he started having to go out at night. This is the dog who usually only pees and poops maybe twice a day. He even had a VERY watery accident on the floor a couple times because I didn't let him out in time. It was so watery that I thought it was throw-up until I saw his backside. I got really worried and made an appointment with the vet, but she wanted to wait a couple days to see if it cleared up on its own, and it did. Or so I thought. The last couple of days it hasn't been quite as watery but it's still pretty much completely liquid. She said it was probably just a sensitive stomach, so I switched him to Nutro Max Sensitive Stomach. But why would he all of a sudden develop a sensititve stomach? Sorry, this is all pretty gross and you guys probably don't want to hear it, I'm just really worried.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 05:53:31 am »
I thought you were thinking about switching to a home cooked diet ???
RIP former BPO

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 06:01:55 am »
sorry was that homecooked towards me? I do both raw and soild gold..... if it was towards me
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 06:04:00 am »
Nope, my comment was directed towards Lyn. She had mentioned in a nother thread that she was looking into home cooked diets for Bubba
RIP former BPO

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 06:09:56 am »
I started to have digestive issues with my GSD and apparently with some breeds there is some bacteria in the intestines that is always there but it will over multiply sometimes and cause all sorts of lovely problems (if I'm remembering that info correctly!)  The vet put him on Eukanuba Low Residue which also has no wheat, which he needed and he did fine after that while he was on it.  I hope you find something that works for you.

Does anyone know of a good site I can go to to research feeding raw?  I know there's a few threads on this board but I'm thinking of checking into that before I get another dog.  Thanks
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline bhender254

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:28 am »
Nutro may have changed the ingredients in their food. Sometimes that happens, it seems like a minor change and they don't have to mention it on the bag, but it's enough to cause stomach upset.

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 07:49:49 am »
Anakalia, Hopefully Koby has better results. *fingers crossed*

I did try a really slow switch.. but even a quarter cup sent Bubba's tummy into an uproar. And now that's he lost weight it's just not worth trying again. I'm not meaning to knock CN. But quite honestly I hate it now. LOL

We are on well water.. the PH is high at 8.0 but there are no nasties in it as far as I know. It's tested fairly frequently since we have farmers all around us that use pesticides and fertilizers. I can try filtering it anyway.. You never know.. 

LOL I bet my vet thinks I have a poop obsession too. :D I walk in there and the first they say is "Another stool sample for Bubba?" LMAO

I don't think you have a problem with the water then.  The lady did say when you switch a dog from well water to city water, that could be the problem.  Koby was on a farm when we adopted him SO hopefully that's my problem here.  I can only hope you get Bubba's issues figured out, I know how frustrating it is! 

Well I got my bag of CN today, and I'll be mixing it SLOWLY...if this food works for Koby I will be amazed!  Hey, have you ever tried Healthwise?  The same makers as Innova and CN and it's base is chicken and oatmeal or lamb and oatmeal.  Just maybe something to think about.  Healthwise is also less expensive then CN or Eagle.