Author Topic: Gauge 5 month Stack  (Read 6509 times)

Blair

Gauge 5 month Stack
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:21:12 am »
Here he is at 5 months. I am thinking of holdin off showing him for awhile till he matures a litle more, but I am still going to show him. There is a dog show here and they will have a fun match and I am probably going to enter him then and see how that goes.

EllieAndBlu

Re: Gauge 5 month Stack
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:24:17 am »
oh Blair - he looks gorgeous!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:33:52 am »
Where'd the little puppy go? Oh my is he turning into a very handsome fellow!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 06:41:20 am »
There is a dog show here and they will have a fun match and I am probably going to enter him then and see how that goes.

Excellent idea!  He's looking fantastic!  Is DH working with him to get ready for hunting season yet?  I confess, I have no idea what you do with pointers.  All ours have been retrievers.
Daphne

Blair

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 06:50:33 am »
There is a dog show here and they will have a fun match and I am probably going to enter him then and see how that goes.

Excellent idea!  He's looking fantastic!  Is DH working with him to get ready for hunting season yet?  I confess, I have no idea what you do with pointers.  All ours have been retrievers.

Gauge wouldnt make a very good Hunting dog...I think I made him into a big sissy LOL He is a scardy cat, so therefor he is all mine  ;D Its funny when I have him alone he looks like a big boy but as soon as he is near Grey he looks like a little baby again LOL

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:08:08 am »
Gauge wouldnt make a very good Hunting dog

Blair, you don't know that yet! He hasn't even gotten his first whiff of a pheasant yet, I'll bet. When he does, your plans for show dog fame may be up in SMOKE.  Because I can totally see the point in his eye.

Admit it, you dog-mommy, you. You don't WANT him to be a hunting dog, because you don't want to SHARE him with his daddy any more than you have to!  ;D  ;D  ;D

But just you wait.  He's a bird dog, and sooner or later, I'd bet real money that he'll start catching them on his own and bringing them to you. Live, squawking, bleeding birds--sparrows or robins, he won't care what they are if he can catch 'em and retrieve them to you. 

He's gonna do it, Blair.  I can see it in his eye!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Blair

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 09:12:14 am »
Gauge wouldnt make a very good Hunting dog

Blair, you don't know that yet! He hasn't even gotten his first whiff of a pheasant yet, I'll bet. When he does, your plans for show dog fame may be up in SMOKE.  Because I can totally see the point in his eye.

Admit it, you dog-mommy, you. You don't WANT him to be a hunting dog, because you don't want to SHARE him with his daddy any more than you have to!  ;D  ;D  ;D

But just you wait.  He's a bird dog, and sooner or later, I'd bet real money that he'll start catching them on his own and bringing them to you. Live, squawking, bleeding birds--sparrows or robins, he won't care what they are if he can catch 'em and retrieve them to you. 

He's gonna do it, Blair.  I can see it in his eye!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

You got me...he is my baby boy...MINE MINE MINE LOL My husband loves him to death too...but I am turning him into a Mommy's boys just like Grey and Zeus LOL We take him to a pond to go swimming all the time and he loves that to death...there are ducks there swimming and he swims right by them like they arent even there...its pretty darn funny  :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:19:08 am »
there are ducks there swimming and he swims right by them like they arent even there...its pretty darn funny  :D

Yes, but duck does NOT smell like pheasant!  There is a smell to upland game birds that just turns a hunting dog inside out!  It really is a thing to behold.  We took a pheasant wing with us when we looked at Eider.  He was 5 mo old and the smell caught his attention like nothing you can imagine.  Our first Lab, Brant, was certainly a mommy's boy, but when DH got out that gun, he'd go absolutely NUTS!  I don't hunt but I LOVE to watch them do what they love to do.  There's nothing more beautiful IMO than watching a dog do what it is bred to do.  There is a joy, an abandon that you'll never see otherwise.  I love to see the LGDs guarding too.  It is beautiful.
Daphne

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:05 am »
Daphne's right--ducks aren't what Gauge is wired to hunt.  Oh, he'll do it if you teach him that ducks are birds--I think it's the swimming that confuses him. But game birds--he's gonna go WILD when he smells them.

Just be glad you don't have quail running all around your neighborhood half domesticated. Or Gauge would ALREADY be after them!

I'm going to be watching for the "Gauge brings Mommy a dead bird thread!"  ;D  ;D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad