Author Topic: Proper way to teach manners  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Proper way to teach manners
« on: June 13, 2005, 01:15:59 pm »
Roxy is 13 weeks old and thinks that we live in the house with her just to open the door for her visitors!! She greets everyone so enthusiastical ly that sometimes it is very overwhelming. What is the proper way to teach her greeting manners? With humans AND other animals.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Proper way to teach manners
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:21:03 pm »
You should ask your guests to completely ignore Roxy until she is calm & then everyone should praise her lavishly...Don't get all excited in your voice & actions though as that will just stimulate her...Remain calm & tell her what a good girl she is accompanied by gentle head pats & maybe a nice tummy rub...Good luck!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:24:27 pm »
Good idea.
Lady and Grace seem to have realize they can't love what they won't let in.  So they sit back and relax till company comes in and gets settled.  And Daddy will grab them by the scuff of the neck when they get out of control.

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:42:47 pm »
Thanks, We will try that. I heard from a friend that we should also keep her on a leash when company comes so we can control her and then, like you said, don't let anyone respond to her unless she is calm. Wish me luck!!!
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 04:26:38 pm »
I have read that keeping them on a leash when company comes is a good way to train them when they're new to it. And I completely agree with Gypsy about having company ignore puppy till she calms down. (that way she isn't rewarded for the behavior) I still use that with my girls cause they still get excited when anyone comes in, including us. So I ignor them, and if they don't calm down fairly quickly they get put outside. They are always more calm when they come back in, maybe because they get to burn off the excitment in the yard!
Just be consistant, no one is to give her attention when she's acting that way...not even you.  Good luck!

Vicki