Author Topic: Knots!  (Read 10212 times)

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Knots!
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:09:23 pm »
Hi...does anyone have tips on how to get out matted knots on a dogs tail. Joey has a habit of wanting to roll in anything smelly, in particular garden snake entrails after he hunts them...yuk! ;) combined with the fact that he doesn't like his tail touched very much. I am looking for some grooming tips. Is there a way to get large matted knots out of a dogs tail. Anyway, I procastinated and now I have to get them out. I don't really want to cut them out.  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:50:36 am by k9kooky »
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Knots!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:18:31 pm »
There is a tool that takes out knots really easily without ruining their hair.It works great! Besides that, using a slicker and rake regularly help to keep their hair in great shape.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Knots
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:45:42 pm »
There was just a whole thread on the Newf-L group about this.  A Newf had  been lost in a forest in Vancover(??) and when he was finally found had tons of pine pitch all over him.  There were all sorts of suggestions:  Pam (the kind you spray in cooking pans), peanut butter  (gets chewing gum out of girl's hair; but that's a whole other story ::)), basically anything that has an oil will get sticky stuff out.  If it is just dry mats, maybe try bathing him and using a creme rinse or conditioner??

If worse comes to worse, get a matt remover comb:  the kind that has sharp teeth that will cut the mat in to pieces so it can be combed out without pain.  It's something I use all the time on the Newfs and they tolerate it well.  Good luck!!! ;D

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 04:47:03 pm »
Thanks very much!
Georgi
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 05:29:08 pm »
I am looking for some grooming tips. Is there a way to get large matted knots out of a dogs tail. Joey has a habit of wanting to roll in anything smelly, in particular garden snake entrails after he hunts them...yuk! ;) Thanks
It depends on how bad the matts are...I just use the rake..Every so often I get a really bad one & I just cut it out...My dogs have fur to spare so it's not very noticable! :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:30:08 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:16:09 am »
Thank you, yes. He has some pitch on him too from lying under the trees and it's hard to get out. Sheesh, I've got my work cut out for me. We were outside all weekend doing house repairs to the deck and Joey rolled in a multitude of things...dirty dog...lol.
Thanks, Georgi

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:34:51 am »
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with dogs, but with horses we use baby oil and then wash it out.  You might try it as it is inexpensive and something most people have on hand.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 04:36:37 am »
I know this sounds pretty stupid, but for Kingsley, I actually use conditioner. I stick him in the tub and just start working conditioner through his knots and eventually they loosen up enough for me to get a brush through them. Plus, then he's so silky and soft for a few days!!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret