Author Topic: I almost hate to bring it up again...  (Read 10642 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
I almost hate to bring it up again...
« on: June 13, 2005, 11:00:11 pm »
Anal glands. There, I said it.
I gave Finn a bath the other day. Scrubbed him good, clipped the hair on his penis (cause when it's long it makes him pee on his foot) and I trimmed the hair on his butt (to cut down on smell). I figured since it was his day of beauty I'd drain the 'ol anal glands too (which I've never done before) and it didn't work. I think I must have been doing it wrong cause nothing happened which made me feel worse cause it was like I was playing with his butt for fun. He didn't flintch, didn't care at all. So can someone please please tell me again how to do it???
Explain it to me as though I'm so stupid I would put my gloved fingers all over my dogs butt for no reason!!!
And thanks Nicker for making ME feel bad for not clipping Finn nails!! Between my husband, my son, 3 dogs 2 cats and a lot of houseplants I'm bound to forget to do something!!!  I feed my guys dinner every night! I never forget THAT!!!

Vicki

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: I almost hate to bring it up again...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:23:58 pm »
SUPPER.....sup per is good....lol... .Anal glands...baaad dd..lol...here 's for trying!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:58:39 pm »
Hello Mamadog,

I found a web site that has a diagram and explains expression of anal sacs.  It may be true that Finn does not require anal gland expression.  Usually it is the smaller breeds that need to have it performed regularly and that is why they sometimes scoot their bums on the ground.  My dogs have never done that, though when Betti came to live with us last fall she had a severe anal gland infection.  It is pretty easy to tell when that is the case, because the smell is terrible and when the vet squeezed her glands it was bloody, etc.

Greta and Lou have never had their anal glands expressed either.  I think, as the web site will indicate, that normal anal sacs do not require expression because this occurs naturally when the dog defecates.  If there is a problem, such as soft stools, small gland openings, etc., that is when the impaction occurs.

Hope this helps!

http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:19:23 am »
Poor Finn! Good luck in doing the anal gland procedure. You have some guts!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 01:14:34 pm »
CAN YOU IMAGINE BEING FINN AND HAVING MOM PLAY WITH YOUR BUTTHOLE LOL....MOM'S MOLESTING ME!  GET HER AWAY!

i pat you on the back for your attempt!  that is more than i will EVER accomplish in my life!  the nails are feat enough for me!

Offline wally big dog

• Gnawer
  • this youngster is now a big strappin' 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 10:51:50 pm »
i don't noabout u folks , but, or should i say butt!.... it is  a payback suited for a wolfhound. its been my experience that iw's love to stick their nose in our butts. If i leave mine home for the day(i typically, take him with me to the office) When i get home, and open the door....i literally get 2-3 inches raised off the floor w/ brieifcase-go-cup, etc. in hand, and "toto"the 150''lb. young terrorist' firmly planted to my backside. and sometimes for no aparent reason, he just walks up, plants his nose . i always tell him..."I don't no what u r looking for son, but u won't find it up there". male dogs are just that- dogs!
but u gotta love them!bye- wally obrien
wally with a great big ol' hound!

"ginger rogers did everything fred astaire did, only she did it in high heels, while dancing backwards"

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 12:35:09 am »
Never had to do the AG deal....  I can barely handle nails...

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 02:01:38 am »
 ;D ;D ;D It is a little over 3 am, I can't sleep and thought I'd take a quick look and see what has been going on since I was here last. And look what I find  ::) My very favorit topic in the whole world heee.

Girls ohhhhh girls why do you all think doggy butts are such a horrible thing, I like them hehe. Now I have to strain myself or it will become a xxx post and I guess I am supposed to be mature HAHAHAHAHA NOW thats funny lol......

Okay Vicki, I am in awe over your try Ill give you a gold star for that. The link moon posted was quite informative, pic and all lol..... Some things though work one way in theory and another way when you are actually doing it. Yes small dogs tend to have more problems then our big ones, but all dogs do benefit from a good ol' feel lol.... to see if the glands could do with a little draining. Some dogs that never in their lives have their glands expressed are just fine, others end up with more or less problems, so you can prevent "gland issues" by on a regular basis drain them.

I am sure you read the link, first I would like to say, the cloth, sorry but naaaa that will only complicate things for you. Soooo lets see you said it, so here we go with a real slow 101 gland lesson  :D

say you have your dog standing infront of you, his left side to you. That way you get to in a natural way use your right hand (that is if you are right handed, if not switch the whole thing around) If you need help, have someone hold him by the collar, and lift his tail with your left hand, use your right hand and use your thumb and index finger. She used 5 and 7 and thats okay, put thumb at 7 and index finger at 5, then go inwards and upwards to 3 and 9. The glands are deeper positioned on some dogs than on others. And to get a good "express" you need to get almost behind them, so as push the content outwards. Not always will you feel the glands just by a gentle touch  ;D if they are deeper located it takes to actually "position" and express to feel them. When you do it this way, you also "block" what may come with the palm of your hand (dont puke now girls lol) sometimes it is very watery and squirts out and we are talking feet hehe, so that hand there to make sure its not showering your entire bathroom is a good idea.

You may already have done a great job, and he just didnt have anything in them. But I have also worked on dogs that even after years of "butt work" nothing there the first time, but you can kinda feel that there is rather full glands just way deep. And second time you have a handful of thick, stinky mess  :P It was just a difficult gland to drain. So dont feel bad if you dont manage to express anything out of them. I would say if you follow this, and you still dont get anything drained, chances are that he is one of those dogs who just wont need to have the glands expressed, at least not now. Only in very difficult cases would you have to try and try again, without result but the dog still needs draining.

Okay so now when I am done with my book about anal glands I feel I can get all relaxed and go to sleep lol.......I think as Anal Gland Queen on the board I ought to start giving out golden stars to the members brave enough to express their dogs glands hehe

Well nighty night all, if I ruined someones sunday breakfast, sorry lol..... I really tried to not be too gross

marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 02:07:41 am »
A cat!!!....I expressed a CAT'S anal glands because of Queen Marit's guidence here...lol!...A dog might bite if you mess with his back end but a cat will tear you a new a**hole!...lol!...& I lived to tell about it! ;D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 02:26:09 am »
I am soooo proud of you Gyps..... you are on my "brave women list" hehe

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 02:28:20 am »
I am soooo proud of you Gyps..... you are on my "brave women list" hehe

Marit
I did it for you Marit. :D

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 10:48:05 am »
I had to learn about expressing anal glands when I started working at the Animal Hospital. While giving the dog a bath express their glands. Well the tub at the Animal Hospital was raised, so you could stand up and bath the dogs. All went well, then I went home and decided to bathe my dogs. This was a little different, being kneeling and bent over to do it. I was bathing my Beagle I had at the time. I felt  the glands and they were FULL, so I gave them a good squeeze and AARRRGH it squirted all over my hair. OMG you never seen anyone jump in the shower so fast dog and all. I was so glad I was at home at the time!!!!! YUCK!!!!!!!
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 11:08:15 am »
lol  K9ldy00 ;D ;D Poor lil' beagle-wondering what the heck was going on :o