Author Topic: What to do....  (Read 12562 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
What to do....
« on: June 14, 2005, 08:20:38 am »
Sophie has become sooo stuburn just over the last week or so...  She's driving me crazy.  We used to be able to take her out and she would just go and then follow us around.  Now its hard to get her to leave the driveway or if she's in the grass she just has to stare at everything in the neighborhood even if there is nothing moving... I'm sick of spending 20 mins outside just to get her to pee when I have to leave for work and its the second time she's been out....She will not come to her name when she's outside even if I have visible treats in my hand!  grrrr  I'm at a loss of what to do next...She's approximatly 2 years old do you think this is a phase?  or maybe the rescue honeymoon period is over and her true self is showing... (oh I hope not)  Is it to late to start clicker training?  Should I find a trainer or maybe enroll in a obediance class for adult dogs?  Let me know what you guys think and if you've been through anything like this.  ???

Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: What to do....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:02:46 am »
That sounds EXACTLY like my 13 year old golden/collie mix, Oasis!! I write it off to senility because he's so old. The staring off into space even though there is nothing there is really what strikes me as similar. Oasis never used to run off and now I can't take him out without a leash because he will just take off and go deaf as I call his name. He used to be so good.

It's definitely not too late to start clicker training, but I would talk to your vet. If it is neurological (like I suspect it is with my old dog), there are drugs they can take to help keep them alert. I don't bother because Oasis is so old, but 2 is very young and I would be a bit concerned with such a dramatic behavior change in such a young dog. It's best to rule out anything physical before just considering it a training problem.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 10:47:05 am »
I think the problem is that she is too alert. Ears perked up and solid as a brick when just a bird flys by.  Its like she's always on her toes which distracts her from why she's really outside.  She spent this past weekend with my parents where she is off leash and always running around.  I'm wondering if part of this behavior change might be exhustion from this weekend?  but she's had a full day and a half to recover...
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 07:27:18 pm »
Pretty photo of Sophie gazing out the storm door.

I have to say, I chuckled when I read your post.  I can see her staring off at things in the neighborhood, stalling while you are in a hurry.  I've had that experience before...it's kinda funny in hindsight.

Obedience classes are always good...and I am sure you already know that the only sure way is to be patient as she goes through her phases...They are so funny!
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 07:58:30 am »
Thank you! thats her spot and when the door's closed she's upstairs looking out the window or laying on our feet :)    (sorry the picture is sideways)

She starts obediance classes monday!!!!     I'm sooo excited!  I hope this will help.  She was doing a little better at listening to me yesterday. So I think maybe her behavior was because she was tired or hot.  

;D  ;D  ;D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 08:22:07 am »
I hope so. She is breathtakingly beautiful!! I can't believe she was a rescue!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 09:31:32 am »
Lady is like that too...she lingers outside and sniffs every inch of the yard.  But we manage.  When we walk I use one of those choakers with the prongs inside and she is a different dog.  I hated the idea at first but used it at my husband's insistance.  Now I don't leave home without it.  We don't use it in the yard but that might work for you better.  I also carry a pocket full of little bones they get when they pee and potty and that encourages them to do their business so they get a treat. 

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 09:36:31 am »
Maybe she wants to some privacy to do her business!?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 09:41:59 am »
that's an idea.  Lady doesn't like it when everyone watches.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 10:49:50 am »
Thank you jjfritsche  I fell in love with her the instant I saw her.

LOL  maybe...I don't know if she wants privacy or not. I don;t really think she minds I always make sure to look to make she everything is looking normal (I know I know TMI   ;) )

We use a choke but if she is dead set on watching whatever has caught her eye it does not make a difference.   Also I can hold a treat in my hand so she sees it and she still will not move.   I have also tried the 'stand in one place and don't move till she goes' hahahahaha  she decided that that must mean its time to roll around in the grass and not get up or find a bumblebee to chase   hehe  So she does really good in the house with 'come'  but not outside  I think we just need some more practice with distractions which hopefully we will get in the class.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 11:18:29 am »
Well, Rachel...it could be worse. She could be like Cabeza, who let someone climb into the window from the fire escape the other day, and didn't even WAKE UP. Seriously. Didn't even open his eyes!!!! Talk about aware of NOTHING. hehehehe!  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I had a Pit Bull that was like Sophie...he had to make sure he knew EVERY SINGLE THING that was happening in my yard, the neighbor's yards, the trees, the sky, the alley, the road, (you get it) before he would even CONSIDER going potty. And sometimes, he'd run after something interesting (a squirrel, a butterfly, etc.) while he was STILL peeing! hahah! Funny as that was, he was SO frustrating in that way! I just could NOT get him over distractions!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 12:04:03 pm »
lol  your pit bull sounds a lot like sophie of course she finishes peeing and then dashes to try and chase something.  :)   It sooo funny how they will chase butterflies or moths and when it lands they sniff and paw at it and then when it doesn't keep moving they're confused...  I'm like well Sophie you squished your little friend eewww.

Was someone trying to break in to your house? are you ok?  Or did someone forget their keys?  I don't know how she would act if someone tried to get in our house.  She loves people and get very excited when we have company over.  But she hates the trashmen, she barks and lunges at them like they're stealing her stuff...So I don't know if she would distinguish between someone here to play with her or someone here to steel her stuff.  I hope she would.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 12:30:05 pm »
Well, Rachel, its actually kind of a funny story. There is a kid who is kind of, um, mentally challenged in the neighborhood. He saw my cat climbing up the fire escape to get back into my apartment..we live on the third floor of a big old Victorian house, and my kitties can climb the ladder! Anyway, he saw my cat, and thought it was HIS cat (I'm not even sure if he really has a cat, but anyway) and he climbed up after him and through the kitchen window!!!

He didn't take anything, and apparantly the cat disappeared under a bed or something, so he just climbed back down. But, since he's mildly retarded...act ually, I think he may be autistic...he told the neighbor all about it when he got downstairs! hahaha! The neighbor was like, "Um, they have a really big dog, didn't it scare you?" And the guy was like, "There wasn't any dog in that apartment." So, the only way that he couldn't have seen him is if Cabeza didn't even wake up. He sleeps under my bed. (We've got a really high bed, and he sleeps under it during the day)

Isn't that funny?

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 01:04:15 pm »
LOL  that is so cute! what a great story.  I bet that boy would have freaked out if he saw Cabeza so its probably a good thing he didn't wake up  :D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 01:56:17 pm »
Yeah, although Cabeza probably would have just walked up to him and leaned on his legs for a pet. Cabeza is about as vicious as oatmeal! hehehe! But, he still probably would have scared him, he's pretty big. And, if you don't know a dog's temperment, 100 pounds can seem very scary!

That was one thing I loved about Bo (the Pit), I always knew he'd protect me if necessary!