Author Topic: Why does the news media report more on attacks by certain breeds?  (Read 30480 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Why does the news media report more on attacks by certain breeds?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2006, 04:51:38 am »
Yeah, we have a huge problem with Laika clinging to Kingsley at the park. Kingsley will be playing with another dog, and if Laika thinks it's getting out of hand, she steps in between and barks and tries to chase the other dog away.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2006, 09:33:04 am »
I agree that most dog parks should have little and big dog areas for those dogs not able to play well with others of differing size.  The one I am using currently does, but no one uses the little dog area, so it's not much fun for my two ratties.  Also, I have 4 dogs of differing size and the large and small dog areas are not next to each other to where I could use both areas at once.

Now that I'm able to trust them a bit off leash, I let them in with the big guys.  People get nervous when their much bigger dogs are playing with my two little ones.  I always say it's okay, they have to learn to handle themselves (besides, they love every minute of it).  Also, at this park there are several places for them to hide to get away if they need to.  I haven't been going long there, but I've never seen a problem and there's been dogs of all sizes.

If I was concerned, I would certainly leave and head to the little dog area.  I did get a few looks when I went there before I could let Nigel and Posey off leash b/c of course I have to take Keiko and Gunther with and they are obviously not small dogs.........l ol.

Sounds like alot of boston terriers are problem dogs........lo l.  I will keep that in mind.   :D

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:06 pm »
Why do pitties get a bad rep from the media? It's simple, because they are the dog of choice right now for all of the thugs and losers out there who want to get a dog for a status symbol. Unfortunatley these people who are getting the dogs are irresponsible pet owners and they want their dogs to be mean and deadly. Of course this causes problems, and we all know how the media loves hysteria. All of the points I wanted to say have already been said, I think pitties are fantastic dogs and maybe one day I might invite one into our home again. BSL makes me so angry, and I think that anyone who has a fear of these dogs should find a responsible breeder and communicate with them and visit their dogs!! I think many minds would be changed. In given time the pits will be out of the spot light and their will be a new devil dog to replace them. I hope to God that new laws will be implemented against PEOPLE who want to be pet owners, only this way can we prevent the attacks! And it doesn't matter that I'm not a pit owner, because maybe when the thugs and losers decide that they want to demonize newfs (don't laugh, it could happen, they did it to Saints back in the 80's), I want as many people as possible against BSL.

Pitts are a powerful breed, and they have a heart that can love their family just as powerfully.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2006, 12:50:12 pm »
Why do pitties get a bad rep from the media? It's simple, because they are the dog of choice right now for all of the thugs and losers out there who want to get a dog for a status symbol. Unfortunatley these people who are getting the dogs are irresponsible pet owners and they want their dogs to be mean and deadly. Of course this causes problems, and we all know how the media loves hysteria. All of the points I wanted to say have already been said, I think pitties are fantastic dogs and maybe one day I might invite one into our home again. BSL makes me so angry, and I think that anyone who has a fear of these dogs should find a responsible breeder and communicate with them and visit their dogs!! I think many minds would be changed. In given time the pits will be out of the spot light and their will be a new devil dog to replace them. I hope to God that new laws will be implemented against PEOPLE who want to be pet owners, only this way can we prevent the attacks! And it doesn't matter that I'm not a pit owner, because maybe when the thugs and losers decide that they want to demonize newfs (don't laugh, it could happen, they did it to Saints back in the 80's), I want as many people as possible against BSL.

Pitts are a powerful breed, and they have a heart that can love their family just as powerfully.

Well said!

I remember when my mom wanted to get a Saint Bernard in the early 90s everyone was appalled and couldn't believe she would want to put her children in danger like that.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2006, 04:59:38 pm »
My brother is one of those people who has pits just because of their "status".  However, he has been lucky so far, as his aren't from reputable breeders.  His previous male was a sweetheart too me.  I couldn't pet him enough, he would knock me down if I didn't give him the attention he wanted!!  But he looked like the spawn of satan!!  He was a sweety to me though.  His female, however I wouldn't trust for anything.  These can be sweet dogs, but they need the right owners just like any other strong personality breed.

I do agree that the criminal population has a lot to do with the media attention given to pits.  Think about it, they've had the dobe's, the rottie's, etc.  Unfortunately, their next dog of choice will be the next media favorite.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix