Author Topic: How about some BIG paw logic here?!!!  (Read 17013 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

How about some BIG paw logic here?!!!
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:36:08 pm »
Anyone want to point out the flaws in the ignorance..oop s!...I mean logic here?...Lets let him have it with all 4 paws! :D

http://www.wesh.com/news/9660112/detail.html

cricket36580

Re: How about some BIG paw logic here?!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:35:46 am »
What an idiot!  I'll go back later and see if I can find an email for him.  I love the inbreeding part.  This guy doesn't know what he's talking about/.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:53 am »
This won't be a popular opinion , I am sure, but how many more kids have to get mauled or old people killed by agressive breeds before it's not ok to own them.   

I don't hear a lot about labrador retrievers mauling old people or scalping kids and they are much more popular than the agressive breeds.

I think every breed has its place, I dont feel like the American Staffordshire,  Fila Brasileiro, Presa Canario, Argentinian Dogo, tosa inus, or any of the other intolerant agressive breeds (fighting breeds) should be owned by the general population.  I think people who have a reason to own a dog that can put their neighbors at risk should have to have a special license required.  In order to get said license this person would have to demonstrate ability and understanding of the type of dog they are raising via test or some other means. 

Just my 2 cents, and I'm sure a lot of people won't agree, but if felons can't have guns they shouldn't be allowed to own dangerous dogs, and right now anyone regardless of past history can.  It is not fair for the neighbors or the dogs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 02:40:49 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:39:28 am »
I know some people won't like this, but most people should not be allowed to own a Pit or other agressive breeds.  I agree with the article- in general, people who get pitbulls buy them for all the wrong reasons and are not responsable dog owners.  Of the many pitbulls I've met, only one was owned by an educated owner- and I still didn't trust the dog, who did end up "snapping" one day and biting her owner!
Look at the shelters in your area- I find that there are more pit and pit mixes than any other type of dog.  Why is this?  Not just because these dogs have behavioral probelems but b/c the type of people who buy pits for fighting, to look cool, etc, tire quickly of them and abandon these dogs on a whim just as they bought them.  I just think that the combination of bad owners and general poor temperment in pits has snowballed into a very bad situation.  I'm not sure if they should be banned, but there should at least be some type of permit required to own them.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 03:59:39 am »
Ask a nurse or doctor who works in an ER, what a pit bite looks like compared with a normal dog bite. 

A normal dog bite will be puncture wounds, one of the 'dangerous' breeds bites will rip the scalp off of a person.  Ankle biters aren't capable of killing people, they just aren't built for it.

People who fight dogs, choose the breeds they choose for a reason, they are really really good at it. You don't bring a labrador retriever to a dog fight and expect to win.

I really don't care if irresponsible pet owners own vicious ankle biters, I will step on them. And if they own a vicious Lab, he might bite me, but he is not capable of killing me.  A fila or something similar and I would be a dead man.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:01:25 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 04:04:42 am »
Considering what laws DO exist in ownership of dogs in general are hardly ever enforced, I don't think passing more laws is the answer.  For one thing, if you pass a law that a certain group of individuals  (sorry, can not call most  of them human,) are not allowed to own certain breeds of dog, WHO is going to be out there enforcing that law?  Dog control officers are already so busy doing what they do that they cannot be expected to add an almost impossible new task to their already packed schedule.  Enforcement would depend mostly on someone being willing and able to do house- to house searches for said breed, which would fire up a whole other bunch of civil rights and personal privacy issues.  Enforcement of not allowing "breeders" to continue breeding their dogs, in private if thats what it takes, and selling them to whoever they want, which is usually whoever has the cash, would need to be stopped, and to tell the truth, our government has no clue how to stop these activities from going on right under their noses.

Weedsport, NY

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:32:06 am »
I will have to respectfully agree to disagree.  Again, I feel it has to do with potential.  These breeds are called a dangerous breed for a reason.  We could debate all day if they deserve that or not. Even "if" they do not bite as often as other breeds, when they do, they do not know when to stop biting.  Does that make sense? More people are bitten by lab's than pits. If you have 100pits and 100labs, I bet more people would still be bitten by labs, but they will be a puncture bite. The bites from the pits will be something else entirely.  I mentioned the ask the ER nurse thing for a reason, if you have any friends or relatives who work ER ask them about it seriously, and I think you will understand my point. 

Most of the agressive dogs biting people, at least here, were definetly not raised in a fighting environment.  They are just the family pet.

Dog bites happen all the time, with all kinds of breeds.  The dangerous breeds are the ones who actually kill people when they attack them, that is a big difference in my mind.

I don't play with venemous snakes either.  I probably have more chances of getting bitten mishandling a corn snake, than I would a coral snake.  But the outcome if you are bitten by the venemous snake is very very different than if bitten by the non-venemous.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:40:36 am by brandon »

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 04:43:05 am »
This is such a hard subject and while I love so many of the "fighting breeds" I have to say I would never trust them , even when raised by a highly knowledgable dog person , and this is why . My brother in law had a rottie , from a reputable breeder , raised in a loving home , very obedient , raised with 4 small children , NEVER had any problems with him . One day my oldest son , 1 & 1/2 years old at the time , WALKED past him . Just walked , didn't tease him , or go near his toys or food or anything , just walked past him and that dog lunged violently and went for the back of my sons neck ! Thank God my husband was RIGHT there and beat him off of my son , so there were only small wounds or my son would've been dead . This gorgeous dog that for years had such a stable temperment and so loving with children just snapped ! My husband and I will never allow our family around "fighting breeds" because of this . It's a very personal issue for us . Just my 2 cents .
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 04:56:44 am »
You won't see a newf looking like this:
What kind of mindset or drive, makes an animal do this?

http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/2005/09/porcupine_vs_pit_bull.html

It's a bull terrier and not a pit though :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 04:57:05 am by brandon »

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 05:03:02 am »
Having some experience with quilled animals , I have to say porcupines don't really attack bigger animals , they're slow and just dopey really . They turn around and swing their tails at an animal trying to attack them . I've had dogs and horses with quills in their noses from being too curious , but man ,I've never seen a dog take it that far , poor thing !
*modified because I can't spell  ::) *
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:04:35 am by horsepoor21 »
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 05:05:04 am »
I have also owned a pitbull in the past. He was poisoned in my parents backyard and the person hand fed it to him because are other dog out there with him never showed any signs of the poison. I have to tell you that was the sweetest dog. The 1st winter I was out of the army I had no heat and he and my beagle evernight layed next to me to keep me warm. He did not deserve the way he died at the young age of 4.

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 05:19:24 am »
I personally will never go around a pit or rotty. I use to own four pits and raised them by bottle their mother passed and that is how we got them. My first dh and I seperated(he changed the locks while I was at work) . He did not take into consideration that our lovely two year old pits were upstairs , when he tried to open the door to get into his office and bedroom they tore him up something aweful.
I will never own another one. I also know that prys are bone crunchers, this was told to me by a vet that grabbed my now since gone Sampsons broken leg . Sampson turned his head and almost broke the vets arm. He was not vicious nor did he ever turn on us. A matter of fact when my one year old fell on his casted leg he just looked at me like come on get you kid. But he did have the ability to be a danger.
But pits and rotty's do turn alot.

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 05:21:54 am »
I'm sorry if I was out of line. I just get upset that people treat these dogs that way. I also agree that something needs to be done.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 05:30:15 am »
The problem with breed bans is that once that breed is gone the criminals & idiots are only going to go on to the next powerful breed of dog...So, when does it stop?...Nobody's breed is immuned to BSL...Not one person here should think that their breed could not be next...I've seen lists of BSL with dogs on them already that you would never think would be on the "chopping block"...In Iowa there is a small town that put restrictions on "any dog over 100 lbs"....Have a Newf?...A Great Pyrenees?...An overweight Lab?...Too bad...It does not matter if Fido is the friendliest dog in the world...Breed bans & BSL open the door to our sweet, beloved dogs being put in danger...Breed banning is only putting a bandaid on a gaping wound.
B.t.w., In some parts of Germany there there is BLS (no a ban..restricti ons) on my beloved Great Pyrenees breed which, if trained to do so, can be a deadly weapon...They have been known to take on & kill bears & cougars...If Pits are banned I do not want my breed to be next!!!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:00 am »
We have a pretty good group of people here, we can talk about such an emotional and heated subject and there are no personal attacks.  You don't see that on a lot of places  ;D

PS: I'm sorry doggylover, that is just wrong that someone would do that.