Author Topic: How about some BIG paw logic here?!!!  (Read 17018 times)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: How about some BIG paw logic here?!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 05:39:08 am »
Hey brandon I just wanted to correct you, I'm doglover just so you know. I haven't been on here for a long time.

I will admit that as much as I like this breed I would not own at this time with my small children. I know how strong they are and my kids love to play with the dogs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:41:20 am by doglover »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 05:40:52 am »
Sorry,  brain-fart :)
I'm out of soda at work, so am only running on half my cylinders
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 05:42:52 am »
I can understand the soda thing, many times I run out and I really don't like to run to the store just to get one to much trouble.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 05:44:05 am »
Here is a link that mentions Fairfield IA the town I just spoke of that has BSL against any dog over 100 lbs...Pay special attention to the breeds on the list...Great Danes...Malamu tes...Bulldogs ...I hope nobody thinks for a second, that if left to it's own devise, BSL won't reach your geographical area eventually.

http://americaagainstbsl.tripod.com/breed_specific_legislation.html

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 05:55:08 am »
Ok, maybe a permit is not the answer.  I just would like to know why someone would take the risk of owning a pit.  Yes, all dogs have the potential to be dangerous, but not in the way a pitbull attacks.  Yes, poor ownership causes a lot of problems, but I don't agree with "there's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad people."  Dogs of any breed can just be "bad seeds" regardless of their upbringing and it just seems that pits have a tendancy to be viscious, provoked or not.  I am not condemning anyone for having a pit, but just wonder what makes a pit so wonderful that you would choose one over any other breed?  There just seems to be so much risk with little reward.  Not to say that having the love of your dog is not rewarding, but why a pit?  I am not judging or trying to be rude, but would like to understand why people choose pitbulls, especially around children?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 06:06:50 am »
Oh, this all makes me want to crawl in a corner and cry for all the innocent dogs being stereotyped. I'm sorry, but it's just another stereotype that HOPEFULLY will be shattered soon, because if many people have their way, these beautiful breeds will become extinct.

Actually, pit bulls VERY rarely attack humans with the intent to kill. Some of them have very strong dominant traits, and if they see a human walking around that they perceive as weak, they try to dominate him/her. Even Cesar Milan's dog pack, which is famed for having so many rehabilitated aggressive dogs, will bite a person if they don't approach it correctly.

About the porcupine thing, why are you guys blaming the dog and acting like it's a character flaw of the dog? If that dog was a farm dog and trained to protect livestock or chickens, it was probably trained to kill any predators like raccoons, porcupines, oppossums, etc. Also, while porcupines usually don't attack bigger animals, if that particular porcupine was guarding its young, it doesn't matter if the dog just happened to be walking by, that porcupine will attack to kill. Too often people forget that animals live by their own rules, not ours. The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was "Oh my god, that poor dog!"

Also, I've been threatened with BSL, even though I don't own a pit. I own a purebred Neo, but she's going through a growth spurt and her wrinkles aren't as abundant, and one landlord thought she was a pit mix and threatened to call animal control on me. There are so many nice mix dogs out there that will be killed if BSL goes into effect.

As much as I love pit breeds, I myself never want to own one. I know that I'm not a strong enough owner to control their DOMINANCE issues. Everyone keeps saying they have aggression issues, but it really comes down to their DOMINANCE. With a good enough owner and trainer, they are great dogs.

I know that no amount of talking will convince people who are very strongly anti-pit, and that's what makes me sad. If we could just all recognize the REAL problem and issue, then maybe we could actually do something about it. But if us pro-pit people have to keep trying to convince anti-pit people not to go out there and kill all the pits, then we're never going to get anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:07:21 am by glorified_chew_toy »
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret