Author Topic: Neo exercise  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Neo exercise
« on: August 16, 2006, 05:52:48 am »
I know that Neos aren't supposed to get much exercise when they're puppies, and so far I think we've done really well keeping Laika from getting too much exercise, but she's almost 8 months and has hit an energy streak. I don't know what to do! She never stops running and playing and basically going crazy! She has waaaaaaay more energy than Kingsley, and he's an Aussie/Husky mix! When is it okay to start letting her get more exercise, because I just don't think I can keep her settled down.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Neo exercise
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 06:02:11 am »
What kind of exercise is she getting besides running in the yard?  SHe is old enough that you can take her for walks... I never limited my dogs erercise, when they were tired, i stopped but if they wanted to run, play, walk, jump, i let them... as long as it is not forced, it is fine
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:05:30 am »
Romping and playing in the backyard is usually safe exercize, as long as she can stop and rest as she pleases.  It is forced exercise, like long walks, hiking, etc. that are not a good idea as they can't just stop and nap when the urge strikes.  Her own energy should guide her in what she is willing to do.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 08:39:48 am »
We don't take her on long walks, she makes even short walks around the block almost impossible! After like a block she starts slowing down...slower. ..and slower...and slower...until finally I'm practically dragging her along!

I was always told that giant breed puppies will try to burn off all their energy, but they actually need that energy for their growing bones, so they shouldn't be allowed to run and jump and stuff hardly at all. I'm really scared about her hips because we've already had quite a few scares with them (EXTREME growing pains), so I really try to make her not jump, but unfortunately, she LOVES bouncing around, ever since she saw my mom's mini schnauzer bouncing.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:52:25 pm »
Speaking from experience- I have four adult mastiffs, and advice from our well-known breeder- let them play.  They will know when they need to stop.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:13:57 pm »
I've been taking your advice, and so far today, she's stopped like twice! I bought a frisbee at PetSmart awhile ago and for the last thirty minutes we were outside playing with it. It has to be just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. She can't catch it to save her life. Even when I throw it directly at her face, it just bounces off her nose. But when I throw it upside-down, she'll pick it up after it hits the ground and come and drop it by my feet. I thought thirty minutes of pretty much non-stop running would tire her out a bit, but as soon as we came back in she started trying to play with Kingsley. But, as long as it won't hurt her, whatever! Thanks for the advice!