Author Topic: glucosamine  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
glucosamine
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:20:55 am »
I read somewhere that its good for large breed dogs, to keep thier joints all in good working order. Does anyone give it to thier dogs? How old should the dog be before you give it to them? Any info would be awesome!
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: glucosamine
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:07:26 pm »
Glucosamine is a great supplement to give to saint bernards, since they are so prone to HD. Giving glucosamine, like all the other things you can do to help prevent bad HD, can be done at any age. I started my zoey on glucosamine at around 6 months, which is when I first discovered she had HD, and I would have started it earlier if I knew earlier.
RIP former BPO

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:44:55 pm »
I agree that if I had known how very important it is for Saint Bernards and any large or giant breed dog, I would have started it earlier Talk to your vet to be sure, but I think 6 months old is fine to start Mack on Glucosamine tablets, which can be purchased at Wal-Mart or any other store that sells vitamins. Yes, the human Glucosamine is fine for dogs, but check with your vet about dosage based on Mack's weight. My two girls get two tablets each (which amounts to 1000 milligrams) every day, which I've been told is too little, but I'm checking on that. You will NOT regret giving Glucosamine to your dog in the long-run. My last dog had to be put to sleep partly because of severe hip pain and arthritis from hip dysplasia and depleted cartilage, all of which can be helped by giving a Glucosamine tablet every day. Some dog foods have glucosamine in them as well. It's not a lot, but try to get a dog food that contains it as well. Nutro does, as well as Innova I believe, Authority, Eukanuba, and other foods.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:50:34 am »
I feed Eagle Pack and it contains Glucosamine. But it's such a small amount.. 41mg per cup. But it does help if you are going to supplement on top of that.

Definitely ask your vet though about dosage.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:55:05 am »
I started my Newfs on Cosequin as pups to help their joints but, from the advice of one of the breeders have switched to Cetyl M.  It seems to be working.  Cowboy has arthritis in his front elbows (he's a rescue) and was limping when we got him at 18 months.  Since he's been on Cetyl M, he hasn't limped since.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:32:13 am »
I started my Newfs on Cosequin as pups to help their joints but, from the advice of one of the breeders have switched to Cetyl M.  It seems to be working. 

That's interesting - I have never heard of cetyl m before. I think I might give it a try when we run out of our current bottle of cosequin to see if it works better for zoey too.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 05:36:19 am »
It can't hurt.  It's recommend that you combine Cetyl M with MSM and both Newfs are doing great on it. NO limping!! ;D ;D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 06:39:25 am »
Is Cetyl M a brand name or an ingredient?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:07:06 am »
Here's the info from www.katiesbump ers.com:

THE STORY OF CETYL MYRISTOLEATE:
THE MIGHTY MOUSE THAT BEAT BACK ARTHRITIS

Cetyl Myristoleate was discovered by the late Harry Diehl, a research chemist at the National Institute of Health (NIH). In addition to isolating Cetyl Myristoleate and more than 500 other first-time compounds, Diehl is also known for discovering a method for synthesizing the unique sugar form used in the preparation of Dr. Jonas Salk's oral polio vaccine.

But what about the mouse? Well, during Diehl's research on arthritis, he discovered that he was unable to induce arthritis in a particular species of Swiss albino mice. He theorized that these particular mice carried a special trait that helped prevent the onset of arthritis—- and he eventually was able to isolate Cetyl Myristoleate as the secret compound.

To test his theory, he pretreated a species of rat susceptible to arthritis with the Cetyl Myristoleate he had isolated from the Swiss mouse. And when he tried to induce arthritis in these rats, lo and behold, he could not.

Diehl's quest for an effective treatment for arthritis was spawned by his desire to help a close friend who suffered terribly from a debilitating form of arthritis. His friend passed away before Diehl discovered Cetyl Myristoleate and, amazingly, his discovery went relatively unattended for more than 30 years.

As fate would have it, Diehl later developed degenerative joint disease (osteoarthritis) himself. Unable to find lasting relief from treatments of cortisone and a variety of the usual non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, he returned to the lab and “- cooked up” another batch of Cetyl Myristoleate. He then mixed it with a topical solution that acted as a carrier and applied it to his ailing joints. It worked! And his joints were completely pain free after only 10 days.

Today, your animals can enjoy the same relief and benefits from this natural joint-enhancer in Advanced Cetyl M® Joint Action Formulas for dogs and horses. And just think, it all started with a mouse.

UNIQUE FORMULATION

Each tablet of Advanced Cetyl M® Joint Action Formula for Dogs contains:

Cetyl Myristoleate* - 250mg
Glucosamine HCL - 250mg

Other ingredients include: Garlic Root, Bromelain, Boswellin Extract, Ginger Root Extract, Yucca Extract, Lipase and Natural Roast Beef and Liver flavorings.

* The Cetyl Myristoleate in Advanced Cetyl M® Joint Action Formula for Dogs is a unique blend of an esterified fatty acid from both beef and vegetable sources. This compound is not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO feed nutrient profile.

DUAL SOURCE OF CETYL MYRISTOLEATE

Advanced Cetyl M® Joint Action Formula for Dogs includes two sources of Cetyl Myristoleate—- including our vegetable source extracted from the African kombo nut (wild nutmeg). We've combined this plant-derived source of Cetyl Myristoleate with the beef-derived form (dogs love beef!) to create a unique dual source of Cetyl Myristoleate in our targeted joint action formula.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 07:40:57 am »

I am a big believer that all giant and large breed dogs be on glucosamine (or similar) even if completely sound.  It is preventative maintenance more than anything and helps "maintain" cartiledge - so important to start before they lose cartiledge.

I give my two girls Joint Rescue by Ark now - it contains:
Glucosamine Sulfate
Chondritin Sulfate Boswellin Extract
Curcumin Extract
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Pantothenic Acid (B6)
Magnesium
Manganese Copper
Selenium
Methionine
Natural Dried Chicken Liver

And they each get 1000 mg of glucosamine. My Berner was started at 4 months just for prevention and she is completely sound. She will get it for life. My other girl who does have joint issues also gets hyaluronic acid (Synthovial 7) in addition.

I also know people with good success with Cosequin.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar