Author Topic: Rotten influences...  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Rotten influences...
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:19:17 am »
Ever since she was a puppy, I've been very strict on not letting Laika jump up on people. I've always known that could be a huuuuge problem when she gets to be full-grown. Well, I don't know where she picked it up, but yesterday I grabbed her leash from the wall and instead of sitting down like she's been trained to do, she jumped on me. I'm on 5', so when she jumped up, her paw caught me right on the side of my face. I don't have a black eye, but one of her claws got me right underneath my eye so I have a really wide (since her claws are huge) red mark under my eye, so it looks like a black eye. This...is a little embarrassing  :P When someone asks me how I got the black eye, and I tell them it's from my dog, that's like screaming "abuse excuse!" My boyfriend REALLY didn't want to go to the dog park last night because he was sure people would think he hit me! Ugh...damn dog!!!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Rotten influences...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:27:40 am »
I just wish I could get her claws down to a non-lethal length!!! I clip them as far as I feel comfortable with, and they still break the skin even if she just steps on you!!! I've tried taking her to the groomers in PetSmart, and they did an even worse job than I do! I guess I'll have to go back to the groomer in KS (pretty long drive!) and have them do it, because so far they're the only ones who have done a good job.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:28:54 am »
Ughhh, totally understand. Charge gave me a small fracture on my hand a few weeks ago...Not fun.

My really good friend's lab jumped up, smacked her in the nose with his head and broke it. She had a crooked nose and two black eyes. She was teeny tiny and her hubby was a professional football player. So everyone thought the worst...Luckil y, I was a witness to the event, so she had back up to prove it was the dog.  ;D

Julie

How did she fracture your hand?!?! Ouch!!!

And that broken nose would DEFINITELY be hard to explain!!!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:52:18 am »
My mom uses a drimmle tool on her dogs nails after she clips them to smooth them out.  Since he is young you could try that on him and get him use to the noise and vibration.

My friends lab gave him a black eye too.  He and his wife now tell people to watch out for her right hook!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:24:10 am »
I'm still nursing my broken knuckle from Chester head-butting me while I was bent over pulling weeds.  I completely understand about dog-induced injuries!  It just comes with the four legs!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:52:57 am »
What a mess your dogs make of you.

The only thing any of my dogs ever did was trip me down the stairs and make me have to have stitches... :D

By the by, you could also try just a regular hard emery board on Laika's nails after you clip them. Barney's dogs hate the dremel, but will roll over and moan in ecstasy to have their nails filed while someone else gives a tummy rub.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:59:39 am »
I totally understand. Kiah was a good girl until Kitana came into our lives. I could leave a bag of trash on the kitchen floor and Kiah would NEVER touch it. That is until Kitana showed her how. I always thought the old dog would teach the younger to be good, but NO! It's the bad habbits that get passed on. :-\

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 12:29:14 pm »
Ugh...I just got home from work. I work at an after-school program and I'm the assistant for the junior high/highschooler room, and they were NOT the nicest in pointing out my injury. And then when I tried to explain how I got it they had a grand ol' time teasing me  :P

rickysmom1

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 12:46:38 pm »
Willow has clipped me good recently. 2 weeks ago I sat on the floor to give her and Tater some love and I got the infamous mastiff paw right on my face. I had a long scratch down the right side of my face and a small bruise on my cheek. 3 days after that Willow mastiff pawed me in the leg and I had a 2 1/2 inch long bruise on my inner thigh and an inch long one on my inner calf. Now, I work on "no paw" every day with her, but there are times when she beats me to the "punch" and gets me good, but I figure that just goes with the territory when you have a large dog.