Author Topic: Boilling Lemmons??? and insects???? Ring any bells??  (Read 2852 times)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Boilling Lemmons??? and insects???? Ring any bells??
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:54:05 pm »
I'm sorry to post this way but I remember seeing a post about moskitoes and flies and boilling lemmons and putting it out and it keeps them away???

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone,if so I need that info,but I don't know how to find that post.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Boilling Lemmons??? and insects???? Ring any bells??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 05:21:56 pm »
Limonene, I knew you got it from lemon peels, but didn't know how you made it.  We just bought some shampoo from Adams that has limonene in it.

Looked it up:
Peels of 2 large or 4 small lemons
1 quart of water

Boil the lemons for 10 minutes.  Cool. Take out the lemon peels and put the solution in a spray bottle.

*Also good as a flea shampoo, however just like people, pets can be allergic.  Make sure you test before using directly on the skin. Any signs you can just wash it off right away.

Taken from this : Pest control you can make in your kitchen:
www.sierraclub .ca/national/programs/health-environment/pesticides/non-commercial-pest-spray.pdf

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:35:28 pm »
does that work on people too. moskitoes here think I'm a buffet(sp?)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:27:17 am »
does that work on people too. moskitoes here think I'm a buffet(sp?)

From what I read, it works as a mosquitoe larvacide (spray it in standing water).

The active ingredient d-Limonene (orange peel extract) destroys the wax coating of the insect's respiratory system. When applied directly, the insect suffocates.

That sound to me like the insect has to come in contact with it, so I'm not sure how effective it would be for mosquitoes.  I think it works better on crawling insects than it would on flying.

Also just read you can use lemon oil/oil of lemon.  I am going to have to look up more on this as this might make a great spray for the yard when dilluted with water for fleas & ants.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:29:12 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 10:31:08 am »
I found out while I was camping last night that Bounce dryer sheets also help repel mosquitos.  My friend was a Girl Scout and they all swear by it.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties