Author Topic: I cannot believe it!!!  (Read 3944 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I cannot believe it!!!
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:17:58 pm »
i bought a Gentle Leader walk harness for my 8 month old Golden,Cooper last night (Hes been having major issues walking nicely!), and i just tried it out. and it works AMAZINGLY!!! as soon as i started walking him with the harness on, he was a completly different dog. if he would try to pull, it was obvious he didnt like how it felt and he stopped imediately. it was wonderul. i havent liked walking him for a while because he pretty much just dragged me around whereever he wanted, and now i can actually enjoy a nice walk with him. we should have gotten the Gentle Leader a long time ago! i always thought about trying one but figured it wouldnt work like it does! it is unbelievable!
 it was definitely 30 bucks well spent! coopers gonna be happy too because hes gonna get to go on a lot more walks now! ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: I cannot believe it!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 04:09:14 pm »
I've spent almost 2 yrs. trying to get Samson to walk nice & he does pretty well once he is worn out :-\...I can walk all 3 dogs but the 1st part of the walk is a test of endurance & constant corrections (I stop every time they pull)...I think I might try to Gentle Leader...It would be nice to have a whole walk that we all enjoy. :)

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:42:03 pm »
My friend and I rehabbed a pretty bad Husky a few years back. Once the dog was ready to walk, he became a nightmare. After she ended up adopting him, she tried a gentle leader and it's made a world of difference. I try to advocate for it when I can. Luckily, so far, my pup walks pretty well. But it would have helped enormously with my brother's chocolate lab who I refuse to walk.

Congrats on giving it a try. I am glad to hear that it was successful.
lmt.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 04:27:01 am »
I too love the Gentle Leader, and I use it on Kuma in the winter, cause I don't want to slide in the winter.
I talked to this breeder, and I mentioned it.  She didn't sound to pleased in her e-mail, and sugguested the Choke.

But now I have a question...
Why do you think this person/breeder (Great Pyrenees breeder) not agree with the Gentle Leader?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:37:49 am »
You are talking about the gentle leader "easy walk" harness, right? (as opposed to the head halter?) Some people strongly disagree with using the head halter because of potential neck damage so I thought I'd try to help clear that up right now, since someone mentioned a breeder didn't recommend the "gentle leader". This company makes both the head halter and a body harness. I have used both and I must say I prefer the body harness, I agree that the dogs respond to it immediately and suddenly there you are and you can walk a dog who you never used to be able to control. It is the ONLY way I have found to be able to control my Dane Leeloo.

Here is a picture of the Gentle Leader Easy Walk harness, so we can figure out if we are all talking about the same thing! ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:53:00 am by doghealer »

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:17:15 am »
Hmmm, I might have to try the Easy walk harness for Bubba. I thought you all were talking about the normal GL head halter too.

How exactly does the harness work? I can't tell from the pic.

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:27:46 am »
 yes, i am talking about the gentle leader "easy walk" harness. i have no idea why anyone would be opposed to it. it doesnt hurt the dog. i think it is wonderful! i definitely reccommend it to any of you who are thinking about trying it- do it! i finally tried it because i was like, o'well, if i dont like it i can take it back and get my money back. i really dont think you'll be disappointed though.

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 05:32:21 am »
  someone asked how it worked, i think somehow it is supposed to apply pressure across the chest and shoulder blades (if i remember correctly) when the dog tries to pull. and for whatever reason, the dog does not like it, so he doesnt pull. when he does try to pull, you are supposed to move the leash over to one side of you, and then the dog turns to you. when the dog is again beside you, you move the leash back to the normal position and keep walking.
 i am telling you, when i used it for the first time, i was simply AMAZED by how instantly and fully it worked.

rickysmom1

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 06:15:21 am »
I use the gentle leader head harness with Tater and the gentle leader body harness for Willow. Tater likes to stick his nose to the ground and pull in every direction to get to what he wants to sniff, so I found w/the head halter just a quick correction and he walks nicely. He's never had any neck problems in the 6 months or so we've used to the head harness. I use the body harness for Willow because she is a short nosed breed. She doesn't really pull all the much, but it is handy to have her in the harness to remind her that pulling is not the thing to do when she does try to pull on our walks.