Author Topic: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update! I'm not happy! lol  (Read 10653 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Based Kibble.. Suggestions? Update! I'm not happy! lol
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:25 am »
Bo has IBD, too, and has recently had a flare up.  I was considering switching her from Natural Balance fish & potato to something more gentle & lower fat, but I didn't know if such a thing existed.  Any suggestions?  Right now she's on boiled chicken & rice w/pumpkin and it's a much slower recovery than the last time. 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Lyn

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2006, 04:10:51 am »
Sar, I'm not sure if he tested for IBS or not. We did so many tests I can't remember what we've done and what we haven't. I'm wondering if he suspected IBS though since he suggested the fish based kibble. If I'm remembering correctly dogs with IBS/IBD are told to feed fish right? Since it's easy to digest?

I have to go back in to pick up some more flea/heartworm meds. So I'll get someone to check his file.

CalistogaPyr, Sorry I don't have any suggestions.. Maybe Sar will have some ideas for you.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2006, 12:39:59 pm »
Well, with our problem with Bava, the vet gave him something to calm down his colon.  He gave him a shot and prescribed some pills.  Mike (Our vet) said that sometimes their colon gets excited (not sure how he put it really, but something like that) and the only way to get it from being 'excited/irritated' is via drugs.  After a week of blowouts we're back to normal the next morning, I'm gonna keep him on it for a couple of days.
I can look & see what it was he prescribed if you'd like to know.

I also asked about changing our food, and he said that we for sure didnt' want to swap over cold-turkey, even if it were the food causing the problem, to stay with it and gradually switch, or we could have some really bad problems.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:43:12 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2006, 12:42:08 pm »
Ok, sorry Lyn, I really should have read the thread first, you didn't say the Bubba was having problems again, I just kinda figured with his past history of having an upset tummy, that he must be having the problem again.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2006, 11:37:02 pm »
if the fish works great, but, i do know for a fact the back to basic pork formula is helping the boxers and GSD who are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
feed what works, if the fish doesnt do it, than go to the pork. ;)
good luck!
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505