Author Topic: Kuvasz-Human Recognition Question  (Read 20345 times)

Offline kathrynandsofie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Kuvasz-Human Recognition Question
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:24:39 am »
Hi there,

My 2nd Kuvasz 'puppy' (he is now 2 1/2) seems to have trouble 'recognizing' me....

If he is far away, he will bark (which he is supposed to do) and approach (which he is supposed to do), but at times, not all of the time, but at times he has to get quite close before it registers with him that it's me...and not some stranger.

Comments?

PS. Rocky lives on a 50 acre Equestrian Training Facility which is fenced with invisible fence. His job is to keep visitors honest  ;)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Kuvasz-Human Recognition Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 10:22:59 am »
Have you thought about getting his eyes checked?  I think that would be my first guess.
By the way, Hello!  And welcome to BPO!  It also might help us figure out your problem if we saw some pictures of your pup... ;D  Please!!!

I'm Alex, my dogs are listed in my signature!  I'm sure someone else will give you a much more informed answer then mine, and answers to any other question you might have!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathrynandsofie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:48:48 am »
My dogs can be seen at www.tipperaryf armwest.com

I thought about eyes, I haven't seen that as a breed 'problem' though.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:00:13 am »
Wow!  You have exactly what I want!  Lot's of land, horses, and dogs!!  You are so lucky!!  Well I don't really know that much about the breed myself, but a problem doesn't have to be breed specific.  I don't know, like I said there's got to be somebody here who would know a little better then me, but if it were me, I might have his eyes checked.  I dunno, hopefully someone will be a little more informative.  Sorry.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:30:57 pm »
Even though its not a breed problem, you may want to have his hearing and his eyesight checked. Sometimes when I come up on the Pyrs unexpectedly, they will challenge me until they realize that it is me. Also I am usually saying something to them so that they recognize that it is me. So if they arent "seeing" me so clearly, then they are certainly hearing me and they immediatly settle down. The only exception I had to this scenario was a dearly beloved mix breed who I had for 16 years, as she got older she could neither see as well or hear as well and I came close several times to getting bit. He is really a pretty dog.