Author Topic: No Dogs Allowed  (Read 24004 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: No Dogs Allowed
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 09:45:07 am »
Newf Lover, I require that people remove their shoes when coming into any part of my house that's not the kitchen our family room...The old woman who we bought the house from installed cream carpet as far as the eye can see...Everythi ng shows on it!...Right now my stairs look like they are wearing a cat fur coat. :-\  The great news is that under these carpets there are red oak floors!...I can't wait unti the carpet is completely trashed so we can go back to the hardwood floors!...maybe I should start letting people wear their shoes in the house to hasten the process...lol!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 11:02:32 am »
Yeah, we were the same boat when we moved into our house, white carpets!!!  We have a big garden so we were tracking in dirt every time we came in, plus Drake was adding his own touches.  So we bit the bullet, ripped up the carpet except in the bedrooms and installed 4 in. Brazilian Cherry floors.  Much better now!  Even got the matching wood furnace grates, looks really good.  I have a friend who installs wood floors for a living so we helped pull up the old flooring and bought him beers and saved probably 3 grand!  Like everything else in life, it's all about "who" you know!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:04:46 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 01:52:42 pm »
Please tell me more about Cowboy, are you out with him a lot, when he wears the vest or collar do you get to bring him places where you usually wouldnt be able to. I saw a dog with a therapy vest on at the baseball game last week.

Cowboy hasn't been able to go in to schools, hospitals, etc. yet because of the problems with his meds.  I never know if he's going to have a good day or a bad one.  A bad one means that he can barely walk....drags his front paws (and I'm not watching, his front claws will actually bleed).  A good day and his tail is up and wagging and he can't wait to go out and meet his public!  On those days, we go to the mall or  Home Depot, etc. and hit the stores just for him to get his loves.  We spend a lot of time on our own mission....old er people, kids in wheel chairs, tiny people.  He loves it....and so do I!  I absolutely, whole-heartedly agree with all those who have said that these dogs are meant to be enjoyed by all!!!  We've met SO many fascinating people and the stories we've heard!!! 

One of the cautions that I heard from the woman who tested him was to remind those people who decide on therapy dogs for their institutions that they have been certified and are cleared...and not to allow someone else to "re-test" them.  She said there have been horror stories  about dogs been thrown, kicked, etc.  to see if they would react negatively!!!  She told all of us to stand up for our dogs and not allow them to be abused!  I have had to instruct parents about the appropriate way to have their kids approach a dog who doesn't know them....and a times not very nicely!  There was a child who tried to poke Cowboy's eyes!!!  That mother got an earful!!  If it had been any other dog, the kid wouldn't have had an arm and she would have sued ME!!!   GROWLLLL!!! 

He does wear his collar tag at all times so we can go on our mission at the drop of a hat!!!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2005, 12:05:31 am »
Hi Luvmenewfs, you are right it takes a lot of different people in the world and if we all felt the same, then it would be a very boring place to live in.

I just do not believe that we need a law to cover every possible situation. There can be so many laws that we will need a book to review on a daily basis just to keep from breaking any.  My dog is perfect in public, loves people and stays by my side at all times, unless directed to do differently.  I have never had a complaint.  I started Niki on a short leash and halter when she was a pup.  I have never made a "circus" of her as stated by whiteshepard.  Sure some morons were not given any common sense direction by their parents and make it hard on all of us but that happens everywhere (per Marit) and the advantage of having more freedom with our animals far outways a few problems.  Here is an example and a true story:

I was working as a customer service rep for a major airline.  During my training, they told us the story of a 200 lb pig that had a certificate that it was a therapy animal and must accompany its owner on a flight from Chicago to Seattle.  The owner approached the customer service rep with the paperwork and demanded that the pig accompany them in the cabin.  The customer service rep was not sure, so checked with his supervisor.  The supervisor was not sure so checked with the station manager.  The station manager was not sure so checked with the crew of the aircraft.  The crew checked with the captain who OK's the animal on board.  The pig (200 lbs. remember) was loaded into the first class compartment and given a seat in front of the bulkhead.  Everything was fine until the plane landed in Seattle.  After landing, the pig squeeled wildly and started running through the coach section pooping in the aisle.  After the jetway was put onto the aircraft, the pig squeeled more and ran up the jetway depositing huge amounts of feces that all the passengers had to step around.  The airline was sued by at least five of the passengers and guess what, the customer service rep. was fired but the captain was not.

We can have rules until we are blue in the face, but you never know. :-\
Peggy

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2005, 12:18:45 am »
The visual is 22222222222 funny!...The story is not!...I am thinking  the pig should have had an extended potty break before the plane left ground!...That poor porker!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2005, 01:00:22 am »
Tina, the kids dont risk to be too overly protected from germs in my house either hehe. But funny part is, they are less sick than most of their friends.

Newflvr.... I think it is sooooo sad to hear about Cowboys problems, its gotta physically hurt you too when he isnt feeling well. I am sure he loves the days when he gets to show off his ole handsome self, and be loved on. Thanks for the heads up on the testing methods. I would go stir crazy if anyone started to test Galahad like that, id probably jump them and they would have to shoot me with one of them tranqulizer guns  ???

I am soooo looking forward to coming as far as you have with Cowboy.

Give your big hunk kisses from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2005, 03:01:16 pm »
 :D :D :D
Well, maybe I have a real sick sense of humor, but the piggy visual made me lose it!!  It's too bad anyone was sued or lost their job over this.  I mean things happen.  Personally, as a passenger, I would've enjoyed the free entertainment!!

But you're right.  A person cannot possibly forsee every situation.  I've seen very well trained titled dogs suddenly act up and commands fall on deaf ears.  It happens.  Laws won't stop that at all.

It really bothers me that laws are proposed or made meerly because someone or group has decided they don't like dogs.  Any dog.  I worked for a woman (it was brief) one year who hates dogs.  Her daughter was scared about ticks and asked her about them. I stood there while she was telling her daughter (9 years old) that as long as she stayed away from dogs she wouldn't pick up ticks.  Only dogs have ticks.  I was appalled.  Didn't know what do to really.  I did mention something like, "Yes, supposed the bushes, shrubs, and trees in nature wouldn't have anything to do with ticks would they."
The final staw was when hubby pulled up with our Newfie, in the suburban.  Bryce was sitting in the front seat looking magnificient and really BIG.  LOL.  WHen he drove off (Bryce was in the burb while I spoke with hubby) the same gal turned to another worker and said, "Oh did you see that dog.  He was real big and was the smelliest dog I've met." 

Okay, I hit the roof. 

But out of all the folks I met, she groaned the loudest about dog laws and they need to be strict.  She is a firm believer that NO dog even on leash should be in public places.  They are dirty. 

I never understood it. 
I'll never understand it.  So on one hand I feel it's very important to get our dogs out and let people meet and learn that the dogs are nice and well behaved.  There is a difference between responisible and irresponsible.  On the other hand, it is individuals like this that will sue to high heaven.  Businesses need to protect themselves from lawsuits.  How do you educate those who refuse to look at dogs and who teach their children dogs are plagues?

It's a sad thing really.

Luvmenewfs