Poll

Why doesn't Callie go potty outside?

too young?
1 (33.3%)
too early?
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: House training help needed!  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Theearts

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
House training help needed!
« on: August 26, 2006, 03:24:46 pm »
 ???
My beagle pup, Callie, is just about 8 weeks old.  I brought her home yesterday for the first time.  She was born in a very good and clean kennel that had 20 foot runs for her to stretch out in and also go to the bathroom in.  In the kennel she shared with her 7 brothers and sisters, she eventually learned, along with the rest of the pack, to go out into the run to the bathroom.  
When I brought her home yesterday, she immediately went potty (#2!) after the car ride home.  I was psyched.  But, to my dismay, since then, she has gone to the bathroom outside only a few (3) of the times I brought her out.  When I bring her out, I always say, "Callie, go potty!"). Mostly, she just runs around and plays in the grass and bushes.  After waiting about 10-15 minutes, I bring her inside and almost immediately I see her sniffing around and taking the squat stance.  I pick her up, bring her outside and she just plays!  No potty!  I have also tried catching her mid-pee or poop, saying "No" firmly (not yelling) and putting her gently on the puppy pad and saying, "Callie, go potty".  Still NOTHING!!!  I mean, I have had her for a total of one day.  Am I worried about this too early?  Is she perhaps marking her territory in her new home?  

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: House training help needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:14:20 pm »
Well, I used to tell people back when I used to have pups that at 6 to 8 weeks old they are taking home an adorable 18mths old child.WITHOUT DIAPERS.
Everything goes in their mouths they can get or grab
They are mobile and on their feet
so they can go whereever they want
and without diapers go when nature calls.

I highly recomment crate trainning.or even a playpen,at this age they have no ideas of boundaires, or what is expected.

No matter how cute and adorable they are, this is really the 1st thing most new puppy owners have to deal with.

It is worth the effort,and with lots of rewards for doing it in the place you want and a lot of calm ignoring when they miss it doesn't take all that long in the big picture.
Good luck
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: House training help needed!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:04:25 am »
Being that she was raised til you got her in a kennel, she really has no clue where she is supposed to go potty, and her new home isn't a home yet in her mind.   Start out crate training, and make her crate the most awesome place in the world for her- yummy treats hidden inside for her to find, toys, comfy stuff to sleep on, and NOT more room than she can comfortably stand up, turn around, and lay down, or she will use the extra space to potty.  They usually won't potty where they sleep, so that makes her crate her "home" and she won't potty there unless she has no choice.  As she grows, slowly add a bit more room as needed, and extend her "home" to a bit of area outside her crate, then as she "gets it" slowly give her more and more room, and eventually her "home" will extend to your entire house.  RIght now, she just doesn't know better, and puppies her age don't realize they can control when they potty, let alone hold it til they are where they are supposed to be when they potty.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 01:06:39 am by Imani's Mom »

Weedsport, NY