Author Topic: Homemade frozen treats  (Read 5294 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Homemade frozen treats
« on: June 17, 2005, 03:15:44 pm »
I want to start making homemade frozen treats for my Saint so I can save money on frosty paws and also make smaller sized ones so that I can give them to her more often.

I searched the net and found these two recipes over and over:
Home Made Frosty Paws
Obtained from the Show Dog Magazine web site.

32 oz. vanilla yogurt
1 mashed banana or one large jar of baby fruit
2 Tblsp. peanut butter
2 Tblsp. honey

Blend all together and freeze in either 3 oz. paper cusp or ice cube trays. Microwave just a few seconds before serving.

Note: Baby meat can be substitued instead of the fruit and peanut butter.

Icy Paws
Obtained from the Show Dog Magazine web site.
2 (32oz.) plain or vanilla yogurt
1 small (8oz.) can of tuna in water
2 tsp. garlic power
24 3 oz. plastic cups (not paper)

Open yogurt, if they are full to the top use a spoon & scoop out one cup. (these will be frozen as plain yogurt). Put half of the can of tuna in each yogurt container add the garlic power (1 tsp. in each) & stir thoroughly.Use a spoon & scoop the mixture into the cups. Place on a tray & freeze overnight. Makes about 24 treats.

VARIATIONS:
Natural Flea Preventation: Mix in garlic powder, brewers yeast & fennel seed.
Veggie Delight: Mix in cooked peas or other vegetables.
Chicken Icy Paws: use canned chicken instead of tuna
Potassiam Boost: Add in a mashed banana.

I am also considering mixing yogurt with pureed pumpkin to freeze for those  days when her output is a little too soft.

Has anyone tried these or any other homemade frozen treat recipes? Any suggestions for me?
RIP former BPO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade frozen treats
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:18:04 pm »
I think I will make some this weekend.  I think my babies will love it.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 08:01:08 pm »
I think I'm gonna make the Frosty Paws and give them to my kids too!  Without the baby meat of course!  Thanks a bunch for the recipes and if you have any more, bring it on!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 08:59:56 pm »
Today I made up two batches of ice cream using the first recipe. I left out the honey (I didn't want to add too much sugar to her diet and figured it would be tasty enough without it), and did half of the cups using gerber "banana strawberry" mixed in and half using gerber "vegtable stew". I put them in muffin cups and when I went to give her one tonight, I just peeled off the paper and put the ice cream cube in her bowl. She loved it!

And as a side note, this morning when I was in the grocery store trying to pick out which flavor to buy there was another woman shopping for baby food and she was like "oh, what age is yours?" and I had to explain that I was actually shopping for a dog. She looked at my like I was crazy! I have always treated my Zoey like a baby, but the actually baby food was a whole new level for me  ;)

RIP former BPO

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 08:40:12 am »
And all Jasper gets is ice cubes..... :'(
Love this idea...think I will start with something simple like plain yogurt with PB and mashed 'nanas....even try to use ice cube tray.
Yeah, will try this weekend- freeze a simple smoothie in ice cube trays for him when we are out on the hot field waiting for our turn in class...
Fortunately last class is Sunday, cuz it is getting too hot to have fun outside if you have a double fur coat on .......
thanks for the idea.
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 09:08:40 am »
I make yogurt, banana, and PB frozen treats for Sophie. She loves them!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline shi_ni_ke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 05:11:34 pm »
Another variation is Puppy Popsicles.
Pour Low Sodium Beef or Chicken broth into an Ice Cube tray that has been sprayed with Pam and then freeze.. They pop right out of the ice cube tray.  On a hot day I give these as a treat like ice cubes. You could also put them in a mini muffin tin with paper muffin liners.

Offline lil_princess724

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 06:10:58 pm »
i actually started to do the same thing for bailey. since she has seperation anxiety i thought if i gave her different treats it would help to keep her occupied. i did it the other night, except i used starwberries, yogurt, and peanu butter and well hubby came home and there was red every where he thought she had hurt self. good news she had no acciendents. I think this is wonderful for the pups thanks for the new recipes.:)
Cassandra
        Bailey's mom

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 04:16:13 pm »
I think I'll make some, I'm sure all 5 of the fur kids will love them. Echo, one of my Siberians licks the air conditioner vents all Summer long.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla