Author Topic: Tripett  (Read 5668 times)

rickysmom1

Tripett
« on: July 25, 2006, 11:16:29 pm »
Does anyone feed there dogs, tripett? It's a green tripe canned dog food. They have 3 different dog food formulas, beef tripe, lamb tripe and beef tripe, duck and salmon. I'm considering getting a couple of cans of this food and trying it out on Willow and Tater. Willow has a flakey skin and itching problem (better since we changed to canidae and started taking a fish oil supplement) and doubt it would hurt Tater to eat some green tripe. Anyway, any info or input would be helpful.
Here's the website http://www.tripett.com/index.html

rickysmom1

Re: Tripett
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:35:23 am »
Sounds great for people that feed raw.  I would not feed it as their only food, but I'm sure its a great additive to a healthy balanced diet :)

Oh yeah I definitely wouldn't just feed tripett w/the canidae kibble. Willow and Tater definitely like some variety. It's hard finding the right kind of canned food for my spoiled pups. They prefer chunky canned food, but it seems most of the chunky canned food isn't "good" dog food. Can anyone recommend a chunky premium canned food? 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:27:46 am »
Dixie and Sugar Bear get a little Solid Gold can green tripe food about once a week.  They love it.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

mjjensen

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 06:36:04 am »
 I use Tripett several times a week mixed in with my guys raw food. I also use frozen green tripe when I can find it. My guys like both the canned and the frozen. The cans are pretty expensive, the cheapest I've found was about $2.00 a can for the 13.2 oz size plain green tripe and the blends tend to be a little more but I think it's more of a suppliment rather than a complete meal. I don't know about mixing it with kibble or whether it will help with skin or coat problems. My guys have never had any of those problems thankfully. It does have an unusual smell, as in nasty, but the pups don't mind it and I've gotten used to it.

rickysmom1

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:15:47 am »
Thanks everyone. While I definitely won't use tripett as an everyday thing (the smell would drive me nuts), I'm hoping that once a week might at least help Willow out with her skin problems and at the very least keep her coat nice and shiney. For Tater it'll just be a tastey treat, but maybe it'll help with the shedding. Who knows maybe green tripe is a miracle food. LOL

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:24:37 pm »
A local grocery store "Piggly Wiggly" seems to stock odd things that Mel and I would normally consider unedible.  One thing they have is Tripe, but it is bleached white and not green, I wonder if that would be good for the dogs. It is packaged in blister packs just like you would find your steaks.  They also have things like chicken feet, tongue, fresh hooves, VERY random pig parts, all kinds of parts.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:54:18 pm »
I started recently (about a month ago) getting the Merrick canned food.  My guys love it and they have a tripe one called Working Dog Stew (I think).  I buy the Exotic Mix package of 10 different cans and most of them are chunky.  I use it as an additive to their kibble each night.  Hope that helps. 

Kat 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 01:01:04 pm »
A local grocery store "Piggly Wiggly" seems to stock odd things that Mel and I would normally consider unedible.... They also have things like chicken feet, tongue, fresh hooves, VERY random pig parts, all kinds of parts.

Brandon, no help with the tripe, but I haven't seen a Piggly Wiggly in years! Where I grew up in rural North Carolina, it was one of the chain grocery store, known for the random parts they sell at the meat counter. We always called the store "The Pig!" Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

rickysmom1

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:13:16 pm »
I started recently (about a month ago) getting the Merrick canned food.  My guys love it and they have a tripe one called Working Dog Stew (I think).  I buy the Exotic Mix package of 10 different cans and most of them are chunky.  I use it as an additive to their kibble each night.  Hope that helps. 

Kat 

I've bought merrick before and the pups did like it. Maybe I'll take a drive and pick some more up and try merrick again. Thanks  :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:24:26 pm »
No problem.  If you buy directly from their website they don't charge shipping.  You just pay for the item and the tax.  My dogs must be freaks because none of them liked the tripe one at first.  Now they like it but it's not their favorite. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

rickysmom1

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 03:27:06 pm »
I'll check out evangers on pet food direct. Thanks everyone

rickysmom1

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 03:42:12 pm »
Ok I'm totally going to have to get a couple of cans of Evangers and try it out. The ingredients look good and the damned food looks better than what I feed my son. LOL
Thanks for the tip.

rickysmom1

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 07:14:09 am »
Recently a small pet store opened near me. I went in there for the 1st time yesterday evening and discovered they sell Merrick. (yay!!!!). Also this pet store doesn't sell any products with wheat in them as they are a pet health food store. Anyway, so I bought a few of the cans to try out (again). So far Tater and Willow were not impressed with Wingaling, but we'll keep plugging along until we do find something. Thanks for all the advice everyone

ibenu

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 11:15:33 am »
Marcus loved it, If its the same brand which I think it was due to the kinds you mentioned. It didnt smell that bad at all which led me to think it was mostly water and gum. That was the only thing I didn't like about it. The apparent low quantity it actually contained.

rickysmom1

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 12:51:56 pm »
Marcus loved it, If its the same brand which I think it was due to the kinds you mentioned. It didnt smell that bad at all which led me to think it was mostly water and gum. That was the only thing I didn't like about it. The apparent low quantity it actually contained.

Thanks for the info. BTW Marcus is sooooooo adorable.