Author Topic: Neutering Age  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Tabby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Neutering Age
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:48:30 am »
My vet wants to neuter my Pry at about 11 mo.  Seems kind of old to me.  What say all of you ?

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: Neutering Age
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:03:50 am »
I'm not sure... my breeder said I had to have Finn neutered by 8 months. We have it done at 6 months. Perhaps it's breed specific? I would ask him, or tell him you you want to have it done sooner.

Vicki

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 10:13:45 am »
My vet told me they wanted to neuter my boy at 9 months. They said their growth plates would be matured enough by then. I had him neutered at 7 months on the dot. He was getting very bossy and a little aggressive when he did'nt get his way. Within a month I noticed a huge difference in him. I went through a lot of anguish with him and his aggressiveness before the neutering because I wanted to wait like my vet said. If I would have known the change would be so dramatic I would have done it sooner. He is now a year and a half old and a WONDERFUL dog. When I had him done at 7 months everything went fine and he recovered very quickly. He is now 130 lbs. Good luck with your pup! They grow up so fast. :(

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 12:16:09 pm »
Spotakiss wasa fixed at 6 months.Its more cost the more they weigh.

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 01:57:01 pm »
I just had Strider nuetered at 6 months, but I have had a doberman nuetered at four because A) He started marking territory and we disagreed that the livingroom was his territory, and B) I had to bring in his unspayed sister, and the day after I got her she went into heat and I couldn't get her spayed. My house was too small for a 110 pound sexually frustrated doberman! Both recoveries were uneventful, and although I wouldn't wait that long again, I never regretted doing it. Jules is right though, it was much more expensive to get it done on the larger, older dog. Our vet said you had to wait until 6 months on a male because if you went any earlier the hormones that control them muscling out could be affected, and you could end up with a bitchy looking dog. I assume that it's accurate.
Stella

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:12:15 pm »
Here is a good article on early spay/neuter.  The older vets dont condone it.  The ones that have gone through vet school since this was taught are on the other side of this issue.

Early spay/neuter also allows breeders to guarantee that their less than show quality puppies dont get bred.

Read more here.........
http://regaliapyrs.tripod.com/early_spay_neuter.htm

Regina has done a lot of study on this issue...

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 07:41:14 am »
On a related suject I read an article about a new no-surgery neuter. They inject a drug called neutersol into each scrotal sac and it effectively renders them sterile. They then tatoo a "N" in the dog's ear, because they still look intact. There is no anesthesia, long recovery or any of the surgical complications involved, and it is much cheaper. They are currently using it at some of the humane rescues in Texas, according to the artical. The only question that I have is although it renders them sterile, does it prevent testicular cancer, like the surgical method? If you websearch Neuersol, I think there is more info, but nothing on the effects on cancer. Just a bit of info.
Stella

Offline Tabby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 03:30:34 pm »
This past week Mike develped a slight limp in his left fore.  Vet plans to xray it on friday to look for OCD or any other problems.  we are hoping its just growing pains.  as long as he is "down" anyway we are xraying all joints, removing a cyst from his head and NEUTERING him :)  figure if he has to go to sleep anyway we may as well get it all overwith at once.

Offline kingkool

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 08:13:33 am »
Hi,
I had both my Anatolians neutered as soon as their testicles dropped and stayed down. Each was about 4-5 months old. Neither has lack of musculature or size. Good luck on making your choice.
Kingkool