Author Topic: back to vet tomorrow yet again  (Read 2496 times)

Offline kate.jardine

• Ankle Biter
  • DAKOTA
    • View Profile
back to vet tomorrow yet again
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:56:10 am »
Felt really sorry for dakota last night he was obviously in a lot of pain and he had already had his two tablets of norocarp50mg which the vet prescribed for him,So i gave him another as i couldnt watch him in pain any longer.Iphoned vet this morning to ask if it was ok to give him an extra tablet he said going by his weight it was a bit more than he should be taking it seems he is only aloud 2and abit.He wants to see him tomorrow i think he is going to change his medication,still not got his results back yet to see how severe his hips are but judging by the way he is i am not too hopefull.I contacted breeder and she was surprise she said all the rest of the litter were alright and that she had kept two bitches for herself and they had no problems.Anywa y just have to wait and see what vet says tomorrow fingers and everything else crossed
KATHLEEN ANN JARDINE

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: back to vet tomorrow yet again
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:04:01 am »
I'm so sorry!!  Let us know what the vet says!!!

Poor Dakota!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 05:44:33 am »
Keeping fingers and paws crossed. I hope it turns out to be something treatable.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:54:41 am »
kathleen
any litter no matter how well planned, no matter the clearances and cross referencing can produce two or three pups with hip trouble.Heck i know several instances that a whole litter turned out displastic! but, dont get trapped, they dont walk on their xrays and many have been in pain and thru therapy were able to avoid expensive surgery.
how old is your boy? he may be in growing pain growth spurt, normal hips get growing pains to.
swimming is the key, building muscle is the key, if the muscle atraphies than he will be hurting all the time.
get him in a pool and do swim therapy once you get the pain under management.
you wont be sorry you did.
i know several newf owners who were able to manage their bad severe hips with this therapy.
there is no gaurantee, dogs are not cars.
you cannot gaurantee no matter how you health test, just as we cannot gaurantee that unborn child is going to be picture perfect healthy.
we humans suffer from the same joint problems.
i do not believe it is all genetic.
there are to many contributors, otherwise we would have figured out the puzzle by now.
everyone is looking for the latest way to produce whole cleared consistant litters.
i doubt that will ever happen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 12:57:24 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:47:09 am »
I just saw that your puppy is getting norocarp, which is generic Rimadyl.  Please don't give him anymore, at least not until the vet checks him out today.  That is probably where he got the black stools from.  Its a strong NSAID(non steroidal anti-inflamatory drug) that can cause severe ulcers or intestinal preforation, these also can be causing him pain.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html  Click on Is Your Dog Having a Toxic Reaction to Rimadyl? ....Known Side Effects and Symptoms.

I'm wishing you the best of luck with your little boy at the vets today!  Its a scary thing to go through.  :(

~moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.